***The Third Official Enclosure Picture Thread***

Nope she’s green and sleeps vertically 😉
Looking For What GIF by Ceetrus

Thank you! :D

Kismet has taken exactly 3 bites of her plants, and it's all been limited to her philodendrons (which are about equivalent to pothos). She's been very polite so far, but if she starts getting adventurous I may have to redesign the enclosure. Everything in there is safe (or at least, not outright toxic), so I'm not terribly worried yet! If she becomes a voracious veggie fiend, I'll see if I can make something pretty using only nutritious, edible plants.
Great build 👌🏻

I’ve a female veiled and at first, within her small enclosure, she ate all plants / foliage. Nothing was spared from her voracious eating / biting. After putting her in her big enclosure, with massive foliage, she’s hasn’t took single bite, yet. Can’t directly link it, however got that feeling it’s a discomfort behavior. Hopefully it stays like this 🤞🏻

Finally finished the bio active setup. Mounted an extra plant grow led strip in the lower third part of the enclosure. Otherwise the dense foliage keeps away too much light from the bottom plants.

Placed a 2” drainage layer and another 5-6” of mixed soil layer. Created some privacy behind the fern and log for the eventual egg laying.

Added an army of springtails and white wood lice.

Plant list:
  • Spider plant
  • Umbrella plant
  • Pothos
  • Lipstick plant
  • Tree fern
  • Paper plant
  • Madagascar Jasmine
  • Silver Sword
  • Rattlesnake plant
  • Bromelia (Neoregelia ampullacea)
9935015D-5A17-42CF-A66E-25E6B7D8D9CA.jpeg

135A6CCE-FC41-4A54-BC65-2A8E3EC7AC5B.jpeg
F846F216-2EA8-474C-B109-8032CF18FF11.jpeg
CE2726EA-4AD3-49FC-B1B4-DEF64A5AB4B4.jpeg

Hi all! I’ve been silently watching threads and building my husbandry knowledge over the past few months. I started a custom build in the fall and it has been empty until a few weeks ago when I decided to add a new friend to occupy it!

The enclosure is 3’x2’x5’. Has a sealed drainage tray below that I can just remove and dump. I know it can probably use some more foliage, banking on the pothos growing out more and currently trying to revive the ficus before I purchase anything else for it. Thought I would share, always open to suggestions for improvement! I added pics of the new guy in it as well, courtesy of Matt.
Is your background made of Great Stuff Foam?

You know I can't resist a good enclosure thread!! :D

~4.5 month old bioactive enclosure, for a female veiled chameleon. :love:

Enclosure: 36x18x36 ExoTerra. Front glass doors have been replaced by a screen panel for better airflow (mostly because I dropped/shattered a door :oops:)

Lighting: x2 HLG 65 quantum boards, suspended 8" off the top, as well as a 36" 5.0 UVB.

Plant List (in no particular order):
  • Small leaf Virginia creeper (sugar vine)
  • Peace lily
  • "wintergreen" club moss (Selaginella kraussiana)
  • Fittonia nerve plant
  • varigated creeping fig
  • creeping fig
  • Various mosses (locally foraged)
  • various airplants (tillandsia sp.)
  • fluffy ruffles boston fern
  • macodes sanderiana (jewel orchid)
  • macodes petola (jewel orchid)
  • Brazil philodendron
  • neon philodendron
  • lipstick vine (Aeschynanthus sp.)
  • flaming sword bromeliad
  • Neoregalia chiquita Linda
  • neoregalia Fireball
  • neoregalia gorion
  • Purple wandering jew
View attachment 256781

View attachment 256782

View attachment 256783

Blueprint for my layers and drainage:

View attachment 256784

Drainage access pipe:

View attachment 256785

And, of course, the cutie who lives there!

View attachment 256786
Once again it is time to inspire those who want to get creative and be innovative with their enclosures! We have two other threads dedicated to enclosures, but I think it is important that we showcase how the hobby has continued to evolve in recent times. Show us your updated, original, bio-active, free-range, outdoor and greenhouse, cabinet-conversion, custom built, breeder, and any other high quality enclosures. Please share the equipment, plants, drainage, etc. that you chose and help others to improve their own projects!!!

Let’s see some great enclosures!!!
Help I am not sure how to add to the post. But these ideas are GREAT!

Here are my two, large is for veiled and smaller for k boehmei

Attachments

• Dino enclosure.jpg
    Dino enclosure.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Eliot enclosure.jpg
    Eliot enclosure.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 160
Well I've got 1 done with photos, and 2 other plants(I forgot the names). I don't have a drainage system as I don't really need it. I'm constantly spraying the leaves for both to drink and humidity levels. My kids help out with that. I am going to hang the lights just off the top though. I'm also setting up another vivranium for my newest member of our family. I decided to showcase them in my living room. What you guys think? Both cages are still a work in progress but my living room looks fantastic imo.

Attachments

• 20210220_160543.jpg
    20210220_160543.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 20210320_205454.jpg
    20210320_205454.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 174
Well I've got 1 done with photos, and 2 other plants(I forgot the names). I don't have a drainage system as I don't really need it. I'm constantly spraying the leaves for both to drink and humidity levels. My kids help out with that. I am going to hang the lights just off the top though. I'm also setting up another vivranium for my newest member of our family. I decided to showcase them in my living room. What you guys think? Both cages are still a work in progress but my living room looks fantastic imo.
Looking great so far. The first comment you’ll get, is you need linear UVB fixtures instead of compact ones you’re now using, they don’t provide enough UVB for your chams. Also read somewhere that chams don’t like to wall on those mossed vines, they don’t like it when it’s too the soft under their feet. Other members are more experienced in this and they’ll react shortly.

Looking great so far. The first comment you’ll get, is you need linear UVB fixtures instead of compact ones you’re now using, they don’t provide enough UVB for your chams. Also read somewhere that chams don’t like to wall on those mossed vines, they don’t like it when it’s too the soft under their feet. Other members are more experienced in this and they’ll react shortly.
Thanks for your comments. I am going to change the light fixtures but for now those will do. I was told about the moss before so I didn't buy it for the new cage. My chameleon usually never goes to the bottom but been meaning to change it to something else. Prefer something to hide the plant pots. Now the moss vines are a new comment, hmm.

Thanks for your comments. I am going to change the light fixtures but for now those will do. I was told about the moss before so I didn't buy it for the new cage. My chameleon usually never goes to the bottom but been meaning to change it to something else. Prefer something to hide the plant pots. Now the moss vines are a new comment, hmm.
Don’t pin me about it with moss vines. For the plants pots I’ve used some cocos fiber pots instead of plastic ones. The look natural and blend in perfectly. Check my pictures above. You can buy them everywhere

D4D7DE95-896A-4CCE-B35E-6C67ACA09145.jpeg

Don’t pin me about it with moss vines. For the plants pots I’ve used some cocos fiber pots instead of plastic ones. The look natural and blend in perfectly. Check my pictures above. You can buy them everywhere

View attachment 296457
I saw those yesterday when I went to go by plants for my new viverium I setup for my new chameleon. I'm definitely going to change to does ty.

It’s only I read it somewhere and try to find the article. I don’t say it’s harmful, just they don’t like to walk on too soft surfaces.
My boy doesn't seem to care much about it though. I'll keep an eye out on it though.

Attachments

• 20210321_120230.jpg
    20210321_120230.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom