t.q. gracilior bioactive enclosure build

Thanks..
I considered using the 1x12(or 3/4 x 11.5 :)), but wanted the extra stability with the lip I have fastened to the inside for the cage to rest on. Didn't know how much weight it would be carrying, and was worried about the possibility of the screws eventually pulling out. It is a heavy sucker though.

Screws only hold for Glue to dry :). That's the old carpentery slogan I hear alot. Do not underestimate the power of wood glue. If you properly glue it together screw or no screw it isn't coming apart.

I do prefer to use the Finish nailer for 1xs though.

Screws only hold for Glue to dry :). That's the old carpentery slogan I hear alot. Do not underestimate the power of wood glue. If you properly glue it together screw or no screw it isn't coming apart.

I do prefer to use the Finish nailer for 1xs though.

Mental note for the next build. Wood glue.....

This may sound stupid, but I'm trying to plan my build. The box and the enclosure is easy peasy, but the foam mold confuses the hell out of me lol. So I am going to make a screen enclosure, and was thinking I would build a wood box for it to rest in for the substrate. What the heck do you put the foam on exactly? And do you just attach it to the back screen? Hahaha I feel dumb

This may sound stupid, but I'm trying to plan my build. The box and the enclosure is easy peasy, but the foam mold confuses the hell out of me lol. So I am going to make a screen enclosure, and was thinking I would build a wood box for it to rest in for the substrate. What the heck do you put the foam on exactly? And do you just attach it to the back screen? Hahaha I feel dumb
There are a couple different ways.
1. Use light diffuser, and attach that to the screen, or "dragon ledges". That is how I made the panel in this post. Hindsight i would have zip tied the diffuser to a peice of plywood prior to starting the foam to keep it flat while the foam cures out . Mine ended up warping on me, so not 100% happy with it. The plants I have in it are doing great though so not gonna mess with it.
2. You could go direct to the screen. Never tried this myself,but pretty sure it would work.

Notes from my experience.
I prefer great stuff Pond&stone. The others will work, but I like the black color and its water proof.
It will not stick to parchment paper.
It needs to be carved/shaped in order for final product to stick to it.
Liquid flex seal(clear) is a good alternative to silicone. Way easier to spread.
if you're never worked with it before do a practice run just to get used to it.

Hope this helps.

Nine month mark on the build, and just pruned all the plants.
20200421_161945.jpg

Can you find the cham??

Back
Top Bottom