The Season For Cage Builds

Your cage is looking awesome. Sorry you're misting system didn't work out on the first try but I guess that's what we get for doing things ourselves lol. I just finished setting up the cage, plants, sticks, and lighting on mine and now I'm looking forward to trying to set up my own watering system tomorrow after work. Wish me luck...

ps. Rambo looks awesome! I love his coloring.

iv found these pumps on ebay look like they may do the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAPHRAGM-PUMP-12V-ON-DEMAND-4L-MIN-80-PSI-/120910705812?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item1c26d6f494

im thinking about getting one and seeing if i can get it working

did you get yours sorted in the end?
Roskal, yes it probably would work. I got a single diaphragm, 35psi pump. It was the cheapest thing I could find. This one has confusing amperage information. It says 2.6a max (4a req) then lower down it says 7 or 10a essential. What does that all mean? I'd be asking or google the model #.
Mine is working now. It makes a little noise but not really very loud. I made a quick vid and will try to post it below. I had to mod the sprayers because some of the other ones only squirted. Now two of the three actually mist and one does - sort of. :rolleyes:

Homemade Misting System Video

Here's a quick youtube video I made this morning from my cell phone. Quality is not the best but I'm not a pro either! Yes, the system does work. A few thoughts are: 1) single diaphragms work a bit harder, 2) make a little more noise (but not unacceptable), 3) use brass mist nozzles (like Orbit .012 med. fine) NOT plastic "Jet Sprayer" ones (micro sprinkler #47) from DIG. They cost twice as much but work beautifully! 4) Black tubing (DIG 1/4" vinyl microtubing) is recommended because it is not affected by uv rays, won't shrink, is antimicrobial.
My program is for 3 minutes each at 8am, 12n, 4pm, & 8pm. Anyway, the sound is louder on this video than it really is. After revamping the spray assembly, it pumps less than a quart of water in 3 minutes. (previously it was using at least 1/2 gal. each 3-min. cycle!) There is an in-line valve that is partially closed to maintain line pressure and limit spray. Still have to play with that for optimum effect. One nozzle showed leaking around the fitting/tubing. Not a problem really. I may leave it like that for effect!
If anyone wants me to, I will assemble a final list of parts that I found to work and will post it on here. Not today, but soon. I've been in a mad tear for three weeks getting this all ready and I need to take a little break!!! Lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-JmsDJnL3c&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Still Tweaking!

I can't help it, I'm still tweaking things. Last night I finally fixed the one mister head that was leaking. It really quieted down the pump a lot more than it was already. Rambo tried climbing it this morning to see if I'd fixed it well enough. It held!!!
I added a new vine and moved the temp sensor from the top of the rock wall to the base of the wood riser. The temps were ok but the sensor was actually in shade so it wouldn't read right. Temps there are reading 86-89*.
The spider wall plant was holding too much water so I added a drain hole to the pot holder and also put two drain holes lower in the schefflera pot plant. The water system is down to using less than a quart of water a day. Upper level humidity stays between 45 and 65% where the sensor hangs. It's probably a bit higher toward the center of Rambo's dwelling, where he stays most of the day.
Tomorrow he has a vet appointment to look at some previously 'burned' area on his casque. I'm concerned that it is spreading but it couldn't be from any heat problems in here. I've already started him on ReptAid in case it is fungal or bacterial.

Attachments

• 2012-07-01_13-25-15_647.jpg
    2012-07-01_13-25-15_647.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 2012-07-01_09-01-12_727.jpg
    2012-07-01_09-01-12_727.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 242
Love the cage. You did a nice job with it!

If i can only offer a little bit of advice. Im not sure if you listed this and i missed it. The lights..How far is the uvb bulb from the first branch or place he can bask? Using a linear tube i would make sure that it is as close as you can get. I would not exceed 10 inches personally from the basking spot. :)

Recently i have started using simple outdoor irrigation supplies made by red bird. No buckets to refill or pumps to use electricity or fail. You use the water pressure within your home! The hose is cheap, the misting nozzles are cheap and the only down fall is the timers are way way over priced or the ones that are cheaper have limited settings.

Love the cage. You did a nice job with it!

If i can only offer a little bit of advice. Im not sure if you listed this and i missed it. The lights..How far is the uvb bulb from the first branch or place he can bask? Using a linear tube i would make sure that it is as close as you can get. I would not exceed 10 inches personally from the basking spot. :)

Recently i have started using simple outdoor irrigation supplies made by red bird. No buckets to refill or pumps to use electricity or fail. You use the water pressure within your home! The hose is cheap, the misting nozzles are cheap and the only down fall is the timers are way way over priced or the ones that are cheaper have limited settings.

Yeah, that's what I've been wondering also. I have two 60w basking bulbs all the way to the rear over the wall. They're about 9" above the highest point he can reach. The Repti Glo 5.0 linear is frontward and probably a foot above the center branches points. I lowered it last night but was thinking of moving it back closer to the high point. Guess now is a good time to move that but I wanted front to back exposure for it. Just moved it to about 9" in the center. He's basking right underneath it now! Thanks for the heads up.
I looked at the outdoor systems too. Just too darned expensive. Where we live, the water goes off at least once or more a month so I couldn't expect to have water on demand all of the time.

Yeah, that's what I've been wondering also. I have two 60w basking bulbs all the way to the rear over the wall. They're about 9" above the highest point he can reach. The Repti Glo 5.0 linear is frontward and probably a foot above the center branches points. I lowered it last night but was thinking of moving it back closer to the high point. Guess now is a good time to move that but I wanted front to back exposure for it. Just moved it to about 9" in the center. He's basking right underneath it now! Thanks for the heads up.
I looked at the outdoor systems too. Just too darned expensive. Where we live, the water goes off at least once or more a month so I couldn't expect to have water on demand all of the time.

An addendum: The humidity levels have been much better today. Temps have hovered around 86-88* all day. Humidity shows 54-85%. Much better. Rambo seems to like the changes. His appetite has been steadily improving and he now weighs more than he did when he arrived here!:p

Should I?

An addendum: The humidity levels have been much better today. Temps have hovered around 86-88* all day. Humidity shows 54-85%. Much better. Rambo seems to like the changes. His appetite has been steadily improving and he now weighs more than he did when he arrived here!:p

Should I keep posting to this thread about Rambo or start another one? Oh well, here's another pic of him doing his first shed. He's been at it over a week now but hasn't lost his appetite. Sunday he weighed in at 235.6g! What a piggy!!! :eek: By the way, his vet visit paid off because his casque has completely healed now and, except for a little deformity, he looks perfectly normal.
He loves his home, he doesn't want to come out of it and nearly flies to get back in it.:D

Attachments

• 2012-07-29_16-09-10_251.jpg
    2012-07-29_16-09-10_251.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 155
Three months down the road and here's what Rambo looks like today after finishing his first shed with us. He was so happy to get outdoors, although he didn't much like the warm mist shower I gave him. But, again, he couldn't wait to get back inside his chamy home. He spends a large part of his time right under the Repti-glo 5.0! This is my new desktop picture. :p

Attachments

• 2012-08-04_12-35-03_590.jpg
    2012-08-04_12-35-03_590.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 174
Three months down the road and here's what Rambo looks like today after finishing his first shed with us. He was so happy to get outdoors, although he didn't much like the warm mist shower I gave him. But, again, he couldn't wait to get back inside his chamy home. He spends a large part of his time right under the Repti-glo 5.0! This is my new desktop picture. :p

Thanks for all the kind words and such but would you all do me one big favor? How about voting 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 stars (very top right side) to give this thread a rating. I have one vote already. Anyone else, if this thread has informed, inspired, or just entertained you, please give me a vote. It has had over 1,800 views but I'd like to see how you all feel about the content. Please? Thanks y'all! :cool:

Thanks for all the kind words and such but would you all do me one big favor? How about voting 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 stars (very top right side) to give this thread a rating. I have one vote already. Anyone else, if this thread has informed, inspired, or just entertained you, please give me a vote. It has had over 1,800 views but I'd like to see how you all feel about the content. Please? Thanks y'all! :cool:

Thanks folks. Just hit 1,900 views. I do have one question. Since Rambo just finished his 'first' shed (with us) how long can the shed process go on? I thought he was done and then he started up again. Today there was a huge piece hanging off each of his back feet. I got one of them when it fell off but the other side is still there. I don't dare pull it but I can see it really bothers him. This shed has been going on over a week now from head to toes back and forth. :confused:

There sheds can last a bit, my Veiled is only 5 months old and her shed only lasts a day or two at the max lol but just make sure you are misting more and increasing the humidity to make it a little easier for Sir Rambo :D But it depends on the Veiled I guess, it could take him awhile I guess. Not out of the ordinary though.

Got a little more done on my cage build today. Not a milestone but a big step toward the finish. Added some corner braces to the back frame. This helped 'square' the cage overall. Mounted some ash branches that I stripped the bark from. They were mounted at the top so that they could have a natural droop. Then I drilled some holes in them to hang some fake plants. Just one quick mock set up to see how the umbrella plant will fit with the drip pan in place. I want to mount two planter pots on the back board and then build the rock wall.

where did you get the plastic tray?? Been looking for one but I have not found one yet.

Back
Top Bottom