Terrified chameleon

Ramrod09

Please help!!! Scared chameleon!!

My little guy is about 8 or 9 monthes. When i first got him he was playfull. he would scurry when i put my hand in or try too bite but usually pretty cool about me and coming out. The last couple of monthes he has been ating terrified of me. Any time i put my hand in the cage too feed or whatever he will drop to the bottem of cage which dosent allways work out so well for him. I dont get to watch him eat or drink anymore because he goes into stick mode anytime i walk into room. i have taken him into vet and she says hes healthy as a horse, but that was in nov. I dont know what to do i just want my guy happy please help.:confused:

Chameleon Forums see's many of these posts. Chameleons can be the kings of Bi Polar. Its the only way to explain it. I have worked with chams for over 20 years and have found that it ultimately doesn't matter what you do, sometimes your chameleon will tolerate you, and other times, they wont. Its best to respect the daily moods, and if he is saying back off, do so. If he is showing you he wants space or privacy, the best thing to do is just give him the benefit of the doubt, forcing or making a intrusion to his space during these times only make him more irritated, and less likely to tolerate you in the future. Chameleons are a look, not touch pet. Kinda like a goldfish, they are fun to watch swim around, but i imagine neither the goldfish nor you would enjoy handling :D
Some times a great way to build a relationship with your chameleon is to start handfeeding. Some chams take right to it, others take time, and some just wont. But if the chameleon associates your presence in general with (food)..chances are he wont mind you peeking in and enjoying watching him in his cage, i cant promise it will help with handling. Last but not least :rolleyes: . Your situation is not unique, and i certainly have plenty of stories of chameleons who one day tolerate me, and other days want to shoot there tounges out and eat my eyeballs. After 20 some odd years of chameleon husbandry and care, i still to this day, no matter the attitude of my arboreal friends. Find it a privilege and honor to be able to share my life with these amazing creatures whom i refer to as family.

Thanks so much for the reply and i will try the hand feeding but i have to first get him to allow me to be in his presence. He even drinks out of a bowl because he wont let me turn the dripper on long enough for him to go to it.
Will keep u posted on his behavior.

Back
Top Bottom