Where and when to feed?

davisc12

Ive had my panther for about 2 months now, he was eating crickets out of my hands the first week. But since putting him in his new enclosure and switching to dubi roaches he wont eat out of my hands so ive been putting a bowl on the bottom of the enclosure but have noticed now when he wakes up he goes down low to look for food i assume before going to bask. Is there a preferred time and place to feed? I try to feed as early as possible but some days i dont get home until 9-10 pm and his lights are on 12-12

Ive had my panther for about 2 months now, he was eating crickets out of my hands the first week. But since putting him in his new enclosure and switching to dubi roaches he wont eat out of my hands so ive been putting a bowl on the bottom of the enclosure but have noticed now when he wakes up he goes down low to look for food i assume before going to bask. Is there a preferred time and place to feed? I try to feed as early as possible but some days i dont get home until 9-10 pm and his lights are on 12-12
You'll want a feeding station that is up higher, a lunch log or feeder run is ideal because it holds the bugs in it quite easily. On days I have to leave for work in the mornings I just fill my lunch log with crickets so they have food to eat during the day. Chams need heat to digest their food so you'll want your guy eating during the day so his food has time to digest.

When I have school in the morning, I used to feed my bugs in a little glass dish and put it in a place where my chameleon could easily see it. Your chameleon might not be eating because he can not see the dubias, or, this happened with my first chameleon, didn't like the dubias because they didn't move around that much. You should be feeding more than just dubias, soldier fly larvae, silkworms, and super worms are good as well! (I don't like super worms because they turn into super beetles, they are a choking hazard if you have a small or medium-sized chameleon) Are you feeding calcium powder every feed, and chameleon multivitamin with D3 2x a month? If your chameleon likes the crickets and you hate that they jump everywhere, just get a cricket dome. They sell them at some petstores and have them on Amazon and other places as well.

When I have school in the morning, I used to feed my bugs in a little glass dish and put it in a place where my chameleon could easily see it. Your chameleon might not be eating because he can not see the dubias, or, this happened with my first chameleon, didn't like the dubias because they didn't move around that much. You should be feeding more than just dubias, soldier fly larvae, silkworms, and super worms are good as well! (I don't like super worms because they turn into super beetles, they are a choking hazard if you have a small or medium-sized chameleon) Are you feeding calcium powder every feed, and chameleon multivitamin with D3 2x a month? If your chameleon likes the crickets and you hate that they jump everywhere, just get a cricket dome. They sell them at some petstores and have them on Amazon and other places as well.
He is eating the dubis but not out of my hand like he would the crickets but he is also in a new enclosure so he may be re adjusting as he never rly had the chance to settle in. But since ive been feeding him the dubis on the bottom thats where he seems to go when waking up. And was worried because today he woke up at 12 when the lights came in and beaded down to the bottom until almost 5 until he went up to bask.

But thank you i will put the bugs in before leaving for work so they're already in there when he wakes up instead of waiting until i get home which is only a few hours before his lights go out.

He is eating the dubis but not out of my hand like he would the crickets but he is also in a new enclosure so he may be re adjusting as he never rly had the chance to settle in. But since ive been feeding him the dubis on the bottom thats where he seems to go when waking up. And was worried because today he woke up at 12 when the lights came in and beaded down to the bottom until almost 5 until he went up to bask.
Hmm, that is unusual. He is probably not eating out of your hand because he is stressed from the new enclosure. If you don't already feed supplements, try getting those, and try getting one or two more bugs to feed with the dubias!

Hmm, that is unusual. He is probably not eating out of your hand because he is stressed from the new enclosure. If you don't already feed supplements, try getting those, and try getting one or two more bugs to feed with the dubias!
I do use supplements without d3 with every feeding. And have done 3 feedings with d3 so i guess that would mean ive had him a little over a month an a half. I plan to offer a wide variety of bugs but havnt had him long enough to go through the bugs i bought. I did crickets when i got him now dubis and plan to try silk worms next. I was just worried about him waking up and going down low looking for food instead of up to bask. The simple solution offered here just seems to be to raise the food up and feed him before i leave for work instead of when i get home. I just liked the idea of being around when he eats and trying to hand feed so he gets comfortable around me because as of now, he hates me. I was warned by the sellee that hes a spitfire though so i knew what i was getting myself into lol.

I do use supplements without d3 with every feeding. And have done 3 feedings with d3 so i guess that would mean ive had him a little over a month an a half. I plan to offer a wide variety of bugs but havnt had him long enough to go through the bugs i bought. I did crickets when i got him now dubis and plan to try silk worms next. I was just worried about him waking up and going down low looking for food instead of up to bask. The simple solution offered here just seems to be to raise the food up and feed him before i leave for work instead of when i get home. I just liked the idea of being around when he eats and trying to hand feed so he gets comfortable around me because as of now, he hates me. I was warned by the sellee that hes a spitfire though so i knew what i was getting myself into lol.
Yes!! Then that way, your chameleon should stop going down as often. Good job on the supplements!! And feeding more than one type of bug is essential

The DAY I got Spike I fed him silkworms by placing them on a branch right in front of him by hand.
A week later he wouldn't even eat silks, and would only eat Crickets(window feeder) and BSFL in his feeder cup.

A couple weeks later, he finally ate from my hand! Success!! He ate some BSFL. And sometimes I managed to hold a cricket by it's let and he ate a couple that way. He only did this a couple times and wouldn't completely feed that way. He would only eat from me like once per time he even did it.

The last few weeks, he adamantly refuses to eat ANYTHING from my hand. However, he seems to be used to me, as when I put his feeder cup in his enclosure on weekend mornings (during the week I have to do it before he is even awake lol) he literally sits right next to where the dish goes. Doesn't get fired up. Sometimes he slightly opens his mouth. But he doesn't retreat or anything. He knows what's coming and seems to not think I'm going to eat him or something.

That's where I'm at now. So don't give up. It seems like they go through phases. And HOW you do it, plus how often you do attempt, is likely a huge factor. I think these chameleons also all have their individual preferences. I took this pic after placing his feeder right next to him where it goes every time (he was waiting for it lol) last week.

It also could be the bugs you're trying to hand feed. From what I see people who tend to have the best luck are doing it with 'treats'.

I don't do treats real often (usually just hornworms here or there) with Spike. I keep him mostly on his 'staple' feeders and I always give him a variety as much as I can, based on what he actually eats.

thumbnail.jpg

The DAY I got Spike I fed him silkworms by placing them on a branch right in front of him by hand.
A week later he wouldn't even eat silks, and would only eat Crickets(window feeder) and BSFL in his feeder cup.

A couple weeks later, he finally ate from my hand! Success!! He ate some BSFL. And sometimes I managed to hold a cricket by it's let and he ate a couple that way. He only did this a couple times and wouldn't completely feed that way. He would only eat from me like once per time he even did it.

The last few weeks, he adamantly refuses to eat ANYTHING from my hand. However, he seems to be used to me, as when I put his feeder cup in his enclosure on weekend mornings (during the week I have to do it before he is even awake lol) he literally sits right next to where the dish goes. Doesn't get fired up. Sometimes he slightly opens his mouth. But he doesn't retreat or anything. He knows what's coming and seems to not think I'm going to eat him or something.

That's where I'm at now. So don't give up. It seems like they go through phases. And HOW you do it, plus how often you do attempt, is likely a huge factor. I think these chameleons also all have their individual preferences. I took this pic after placing his feeder right next to him where it goes every time (he was waiting for it lol) last week.

It also could be the bugs you're trying to hand feed. From what I see people who tend to have the best luck are doing it with 'treats'.

I don't do treats real often (usually just hornworms here or there) with Spike. I keep him mostly on his 'staple' feeders and I always give him a variety as much as I can, based on what he actually eats.

View attachment 347363
OMG, I FEEL YOU!!! My two chameleons did the same thing!!! They would go from liking me to hissing and gaping at me, and then they would go on hunger strikes!!! They can be a little frustrating sometimes lol. Chameleons are also VERY picky. So, I liked to change the bugs that I feed every other week so that my chameleon wouldn't get sick of the food. Maybe try that!! I know sometimes that is challenging for some people because bugs are pretty expensive.

View attachment 347363
What a cool guy you have there. I wont give up and will try crickets again next time when i get them. I think my biggest take away is just getting the food up high before i leave for work so he has plenty of time to bask/digest. Today his poop looked like it wasn't fully digested

What a cool guy you have there. I wont give up and will try crickets again next time when i get them. I think my biggest take away is just getting the food up high before i leave for work so he has plenty of time to bask/digest. Today his poop looked like it wasn't fully digested
If it seems like he's having trouble digesting food, make sure your basking temps are set (for me with Spike I have his basking light set at 80f with the sensor on the branches. He typically basks slightly AWAY from this basking light though (which again is controlled using sensor. It's always 80-81f). He rarely basks underneath it. The top branches on the enclosure (away from the basking light) are typically around 71-75, depending. Heat is one of the biggest factors for them digesting, as well as what they're eating (from what I know). So, maybe some bugs with a softer skin rather than a harder shell. This might help.

I just realized you said you arent getting home until 9pm-10pm at night(I missed this before, sorry!).... So are you feeding him that late? That surely could be a major cause for his digestive issues. They need time in the warm temps to digest their food. IDK what kind of light schedule you have him on but I'm assuming the lights aren't on much later than that, if they are even still on at that point.

Could you run by your actual schedule with him so I can see it clearly and see exactly how you're feeding him? For example here's mine:

6:00am - I wake up and get ready for work

6:30am - mister on for 2 mins (I prepare his bugs for the day while this is on)
I then put his bugs in his enclosure once the mister turns off and they are ready.
His lights are off, he is still sleeping and I just place them in there for when he wakes up
Specifically, I put all silkworms, BSFL, and if I have a hornworm, in his feeder cup.

7:00am - Lights on! (Plant light, UVB, basking light)

1:00pm - 2:00pm (between these times) Spike is going down to his resting area. Not sleeping, but he WILL stay there the rest of the day/night until lights off.

5:45pm - (approximately) I come home from work, remove any uneaten bugs. I discard all crickets properly (I never reuse crickets!), I release any uneaten BSFL to large plant pots at the bottom of his cage, so they can hatch into flies later. I DO retain silkworms because they just sit in the cup. I simply put them back in their enclosure with the rest of our silkworms. Hornworms are usually the first thing eaten, so I don't need to worry about those.

7:00pm - Lights off. All lights shut off at this time

7:30pm - mister on for 2 minutes

1:00am - mister on for 2 minutes; fogger on (constantly running)

6:00am - fogger off

This is my every-day process. Even though I am not home.... I have Spikes bugs provided for him all day so that he can eat when he wants (he usually eats VERY early in the morning... before 8am!! and has often picked throughout the day.).

For reference, again I put all BSFL, silkworm, hornworm into his feeder cup, and crickets go in his window feeder. Some DO escape throughout the day but he usually eats the ones that escape pretty quickly. And the ones that he doesn't, I remove from his enclosure when I get home.

I do get home late from work and try to get him fed asap by 930. But will now be putting food in and misting the enclosure begore i leave for work at 1130. Then his uv light comes on at 11:50 and 10 minutes later the heat light comes on. His lights turn off at midnight and i mist again and the fogger comes on from 1-3 and then 6-11

I do get home late from work and try to get him fed asap by 930. But will now be putting food in and misting the enclosure begore i leave for work at 1130. Then his uv light comes on at 11:50 and 10 minutes later the heat light comes on. His lights turn off at midnight and i mist again and the fogger comes on from 1-3 and then 6-11
Yeah, IMO, that's a good idea. Having them earlier is better than having them later. Let us know if this helps!

Back
Top Bottom