Tap water causing issues?

ChamChiefin

Hello my male panther chameleon just got over an eye infection and although some still remains he is getting better day by day. I just bought a 8month old female panther yesterday and was using tap water from the spicket out of the same spary bottle i have been using for years and now my baby panther is having problems with his left eye is showing signs of swelling and irritation. Could tap water be what is affecting there eyes? or could it be my spray bottle? i'm at a loss for words on how this happened. I cleaned everything top to bottom to make sure no infection remained in the enclosures.

How often do you sanitize the spray bottle? Sitting water even in containers will grow bacteria. If you haven't truly cleaned that spray bottle you've been using for years regularly you might be spraying the bacteria growing in it right into your chameleon's eyes! At least once a month I empty all my spray bottles and drippers and wash them with dilute bleach and rinse with really hot water and let them dry for 24 hours before using them again.

Water quality varies by location. You might well be better off using purified or distilled water for your chameleons. Or, you tap water might be quite safe. You will need to check with your local water authority to see what, exactly, is in your water.

That said, Ferret is right (as usual). Cleaning out the spray bottles can be a huge thing.

How often do you sanitize the spray bottle? Sitting water even in containers will grow bacteria. If you haven't truly cleaned that spray bottle you've been using for years regularly you might be spraying the bacteria growing in it right into your chameleon's eyes! At least once a month I empty all my spray bottles and drippers and wash them with dilute bleach and rinse with really hot water and let them dry for 24 hours before using them again.

I always rinsed it out with hot water but never really occurred to me that the water bottle is what is causing the infection. Because as soon as i sprayed my new female panther she has had issues with her eyes. Thank god i still have a refill on eye drops to treat the infection. I am just going to buy a new spray bottle. Also I am getting the monsoon misting system, any idea on how frequently i should clean that out and disinfect it?

Back
Top Bottom