Chameleon lethargic and eyes closed

nicolle

My 2 year old male panther chameleon has been “off” for a couple weeks since leaving for a couple days. (Left fed, watered and with lights regulated).

Came home and he was lethargic, found on the bottom of cage and cold. We had recently moved and thought it was due to an AC vent blowing.

Weve changed bulbs, distilled water, and maintained heat. He hasn’t eaten in over a month by himself (I manually feed and water him).

Color is great. Temperature is great. He’s just not himself.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - panther chameleon, Male, 2 years. Received at 6 weeks old.
  • Handling - He used to drink from spray bottle and get handled every other day or so?
  • Feeding - gut loaded crickets, super worms, roaches, strawberries. 10-12 crickets every other day, but lately 2-4 since he does not feed himself.
  • Supplements -Reptivite water safe and vitamins. B in a sprayer when he was drinking. Now just dusted insects.
  • Watering - sprayer- 5 seconds every hour. Humidifier. And hand feeding/drinking now- 2-4cc/day.
  • Fecal Description - used to be two parts, liquid and white/ pinkish grey. Now dark brown.
  • History - He has an prolapse genital. Vet said it would continue for rest of his life, but not to worry if he was still able to defecate.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen 2x4
  • Lighting - lights on at sunrise off at sunset. Repti?? Just changed lights to higher wattage as I thought he was cold.
  • Temperature - 60-85
  • Humidity - We try to keep around 50%?
  • Plants - have had several over the years. One small live plant left. Usually orchids and other tall plants.
  • Placement - used to be on kitchen counter by window. Since moving is in living room window. Floor vent approx. 4ft away.
  • Location - Reno, Nevada

Current Problem - lethargic, won’t open eyes.unable to hunt

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    496.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 70602477196__A2CB46D0-D6EA-4BEB-965F-BE88A7EF2D00.jpeg
    70602477196__A2CB46D0-D6EA-4BEB-965F-BE88A7EF2D00.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1509.jpeg
    IMG_1509.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 32
Hi and welcome!
Sorry to read about your beautiful boy. I see red light in your picture, are you using one as a basking light? I can’t read anything about UVB, are using them? If, what type?

I’ve attached photos of his lights. He seems to be alert and awake this AM with eyes open. But definitely not himself

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 37
Looks like 120v - I’ve taken over husbandry as my teenage daughter has been “too busy” with school, etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for fast response. I’m missing the linear UVB light, which he needs for general health and to absorb calcium in his bones. Further colored lights, including your red light, is not recommended for chameleons and even harmful for their eyes. Does the window get any direct sunlight? This could create an unhealthy warm situation, behind glass temperatures can exponentially raise due the sun.
Are you using any supplements, like calcium and/or multivitamin? If, which brand and how often?

Because your taking care of daughters chameleon, I would recommend reading this to get some inside of the husbandry. https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Hi hun I see quite a few issues... Red light needs to go. These are bad for their eyes. White incandescent bulb say 60-75 watt depending on distance to branch below it.

The UVB being a compact screw in bulb is not correct either. They develop MBD with these fixtures. So you want a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb in it. These are linear fixtures. and you would want it sitting on top of the cage with a 8-9 inch distance to the branch below it. Lack of correct UVB can reduce appetite or cause them not to eat at all. They can become lethargic as well.

The vent is not normal. A vet will normally tie a suture if there is an issue of continued prolapse. I can tell by the one picture there is a major issue there. And there is a difference in the types of prolapse as well.

If you tell us where you live we can see if there is a vet near you that is good with reptiles.

Can I see a picture of the entire enclosure please? Along with pics of your supplements?

Eek! Thank you all. We are in Reno, Nevada. I will get to store this AM to see if we can remedy the light situation. Will read up on husbandry and see if we can get this little guy healthy and happy again

Hi hun I see quite a few issues... Red light needs to go. These are bad for their eyes. White incandescent bulb say 60-75 watt depending on distance to branch below it.

The UVB being a compact screw in bulb is not correct either. They develop MBD with these fixtures. So you want a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% bulb in it. These are linear fixtures. and you would want it sitting on top of the cage with a 8-9 inch distance to the branch below it. Lack of correct UVB can reduce appetite or cause them not to eat at all. They can become lethargic as well.

The vent is not normal. A vet will normally tie a suture if there is an issue of continued prolapse. I can tell by the one picture there is a major issue there. And there is a difference in the types of prolapse as well.

If you tell us where you live we can see if there is a vet near you that is good with reptiles.

Can I see a picture of the entire enclosure please? Along with pics of your supplements?
Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 39
Thank you!
Does the repticalcium say with D3 as well?

You will want repticalcium without D3 to use on all feedings. Except two times a month you will use the reptivite with D3 say the 1st and the 15th.

Enclosure needs to be upgraded to a 2x2x4ft size. And you want to move it away from the window. Windows increase and reduce ambient temps which can be really hard on the chameleon.

Need to order a 24 inch T5HO fixture and 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. You want to add live plants as well. This will help balance humidity levels provide natural surfaces to drink from.

This site will help you understand how to provide stuff and what you need as well. Read through the husbandry program and come here to ask questions. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom