swollen ankles/gout

plant_birb

Do Sprout’s ankles look swollen? She is behaving & gripping normally, I just watch very closely for any potential problems.

C3CB3162-8C03-4B15-9655-F167C75BFAAB.jpeg
C114BF9F-FB04-4CE7-8840-7C36F95A4464.jpeg

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, 16 months old, 1 year
  • Handling - 1-2 times a week
  • Feeding - 3-4 medium dubias & silkworms twice a week, gutloaded with watercress, mustard greens, papaya
  • Supplements - Repashy Supercal NoD every feeding, Repashy Calcium Plus LoD once a month.
  • Watering - Twice daily two minute long mistings
  • Fecal Description - White creamy urate & smooth brown feces, no parasites
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18 x 18 x 36 screen
  • Lighting - 24 in T5 HO UVB, 65w incandescent heat bulb, 12 hr day/12 hr night
  • Temperature - 72 all day, 68 at night, temp gun
  • Humidity - 65% average humidity
  • Plants - Live umbrella, money tree, pothos
  • Placement - 6ft off floor

Current Problem - Swollen ankles

I don’t really see anything of concern with her ankles. I do see what you are talking about, but I don’t think it’s abnormal. My girls have the same cankles. Has she been showing signs of weakness or not using all of her legs?
For your husbandry, I do see a few changes that should be made.
The Repashy LoD should be used one feeding every other week.
Her basking temp should be around 80.
Daytime humidity should be between 30-50%. At night when temps are cool, it can go as high as 80-100% to simulate natural hydration.
I prefer to give my chams as much space as I can and would suggest upgrading your pretty lady to a 2x2x4’ enclosure.
Maybe someone else will see something that I don’t.

I don’t really see anything of concern with her ankles. I do see what you are talking about, but I don’t think it’s abnormal. My girls have the same cankles. Has she been showing signs of weakness or not using all of her legs?
For your husbandry, I do see a few changes that should be made.
The Repashy LoD should be used one feeding every other week.
Her basking temp should be around 80.
Daytime humidity should be between 30-50%. At night when temps are cool, it can go as high as 80-100% to simulate natural hydration.
I prefer to give my chams as much space as I can and would suggest upgrading your pretty lady to a 2x2x4’ enclosure.
Maybe someone else will see something that I don’t.
Thanks so much for your suggestions.

She hasn’t been showing signs of weakness or not using a leg
I’ll use the LoD every other week
Basking temp is at 80, so she doesn’t get too hungry
I’ll check the humidity more often & adjust.
She did have a 2x2x4 to start but then I moved to a small apartment, I can consider going back to it. Her breeder had also suggested the 18x18x36 for females.

Thank you again!

I dust the bugs, I’ve been using it for a year, since I got her
Ok... So while I am not saying it is for sure this.... I was a big believer in bee pollen. Arcadia supplements and gutloading with it as well. My cham developed edema and swelling of the joints. Took him off ALL pollen even the supplements with it. It took a good 8 weeks for the inflammation to go down. This has been the case with a few people I know within the forum. All removed pollen and swelling subsided. I use only repashy supplements now and actually the same ones you do.

You could try removing the pollen component and see if there is a reduction. Although I see what you are seeing it is very very slight. And I see no signs of edema at all. Which is really good.

It is good that you notice these small changes to her form... This is how you catch things quickly.

Very interesting, I will stop the pollen for now and see. I have noticed some water retention with her when she’s pregnant but her last clutch was a month ago.
I pay very close attention to her and have a big city exotic vet nearby, so I can catch anything in the early stages.
Thanks!

Very interesting, I will stop the pollen for now and see. I have noticed some water retention with her when she’s pregnant but her last clutch was a month ago.
I pay very close attention to her and have a big city exotic vet nearby, so I can catch anything in the early stages.
Thanks!
Your welcome happy to help. I see nothing else in your husbandry that would indicate an issue.

I wanted to add this gutload chart for you. Always good to mix up what your using. Creates a bit more diversity.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

Back
Top Bottom