Gout?

I think the thought is maybe it's not a breathing issue, unless his whole body is like... visibly struggling to breathe. Perhaps the constant mouth opening/gaping is indicative of something else. Pain? Discomfort? Yawning?

His open mouth doesn't have any stringy saliva, and if you've not been hearing popping/squeaking or seeing tons of nose upturns, gaping alone isn't *necessarily* a sign of an RI.
I see him breathing with his mouth open. Sometimes he'll open it wider as he's taking a breath in. At times his mouth has had a lot of stringy saliva. Sometimes it has made bubbles in his throat.

It’s been bothering me that there’s no real nose high in the air gaping. I’m wondering if it’s not a respiratory infection but maybe something else….like a kidney issue. I’m not a vet though so I can only guess based on what I think.
Any thoughts on why his gaping stopped at one point during both antibiotics? That's the one thing throwing me off.

This might give some insight. Today I did not mess with him as far as trying to get him to bask or take him outside. All I did was feed him some dubias. He never went to bask and stayed in the lower areas of the cage the whole time. He also never gaped that I know of. I seems that going up to bask might be what triggers the gaping? The confounding variable is the antibiotics he's on that could be working? I feel like this suggests it's not an RI though.

Back
Top Bottom