Gout?

Sky11

My chameleon jasper is acting completely normal but I just get so paranoid sometimes. These 2 ankles look different than the other 2. Could it be gout? They have lumps on them and the other 2 look totally normal. He is mostly fed Dubai’s but occasionally I’ll add in some super worms, horn worms and bsfl. Sometimes a couple wax worms as a treat very rarely. Here’s some recent pics of him and his vitamins

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpeg
    IMG_0379.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7368.jpeg
    IMG_7368.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7287.jpeg
    IMG_7287.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0383.jpeg
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 52
Hey there can you get a few more pics for me? Hard to tell with these pics.

What are you using for your gutload for the dubia?
Mostly carrots, sweet potatoes and parsnip. I can try and get some other pics it’s not very visible the way he’s sitting right now

Hey there can you get a few more pics for me? Hard to tell with these pics.

What are you using for your gutload for the dubia?
This is what I can get for now with how he’s sitting I’ll try and get more later when he moves around more

Attachments

• IMG_0388.jpeg
    IMG_0388.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 56
This is what I can get for now with how he’s sitting I’ll try and get more later when he moves around more
Ok so are you talking about the difference between the front ankles and the back ankles? What I am seeing there is normal muscular limbs.

Ok so are you talking about the difference between the front ankles and the back ankles? What I am seeing there is normal muscular limbs.
No the front and the back ankles on that side have a lump on the inside unlike the other side

No the front and the back ankles on that side have a lump on the inside unlike the other side
Back leg is totally normal from what I can see there. I see the lump on the front one but is that there no matter the angle he holds the leg at?

Have you had a husbandry review done?

Back leg is totally normal from what I can see there. I see the lump on the front one but is that there no matter the angle he holds the leg at?

Have you had a husbandry review done?
IMG_0389.jpeg

Here’s another picture idk if this helps anymore than the other pictures. Yes it doesn’t really look different when he moves. I had a husbandry review like a year ago everything is still the same he’s almost 3 years old now

I think I maybe see what you are concerned about. If he isn’t having grip issues then I’d say just monitor. You could always be proactive and have your vet check his uric acid levels and kidney function.

I agree with MissSkittles. And if you would like to do a husbandry review again just to double check everything then we can. Just let us know.

So jasper has gotten a lot worse. He was acting pretty normal up until Friday night. He was hanging out at the bottom of a ladder towards the bottom of his enclosure for a few days until Friday night he fell and stayed on the floor the entire night. He also started shutting his eyes or sometimes just one eye during the day. Saturday and today Sunday he’s been trying to climb but keeps falling. He’s been eating normally but one of my concerns is how is he getting water? I have a mist king but there are no leaves for him to drink off of at night when it goes off because he stays on the floor. I tried to just spray him so some would get in his mouth but he tried to move away from the water and fell so I stopped spraying and never tried that again. I’ve been feeding him a horn worm here and there because I’ve read they have a lot of water. I’ve been panicking because everything has been going down hill so fast and the vet is closed the entire weekend. I’m calling them as soon as they open on Monday. I just don’t know what is wrong and if it is gout because the lumps on his ankles as I previously talked about are still there. I can’t stand to see him like this

I’m so sorry that you’re both going thru this. Gout is caused by a buildup of uric acid because the kidneys aren’t able to excrete enough of it. Jasper needs a vet asap and labs done not just to check uric acid levels, but to check his kidney function. While I’m not a vet, I do suspect your guy is in or near to kidney failure. The vet can give him some fluids subcutaneously if needed. In the meantime, you need to set up Jasper in a hospital bin. It’s just a plastic bin that you’ll put a plant and a branch or two for him in. Try dripping some water on the tip of his nose to encourage and help him to drink.

I’m so sorry that you’re both going thru this. Gout is caused by a buildup of uric acid because the kidneys aren’t able to excrete enough of it. Jasper needs a vet asap and labs done not just to check uric acid levels, but to check his kidney function. While I’m not a vet, I do suspect your guy is in or near to kidney failure. The vet can give him some fluids subcutaneously if needed. In the meantime, you need to set up Jasper in a hospital bin. It’s just a plastic bin that you’ll put a plant and a branch or two for him in. Try dripping some water on the tip of his nose to encourage and help him to drink.
Ok thank you I am going to the emergeancy vet right now. He is usually pretty feisty but I picked him up today to let him into his vet bin and he just let me do it. So unlike him. I will see what the vet says and keep everything you said in mind

Good luck with the visit. I hope he can be helped.
They are saying they think he may have gout and MBD but are going to do blood work and X-rays to make sure and see if anything else is going on. I’m also very confused because they said he is a girl? He looks nothing like a girl to me but they said something about there being no penial something? I’m not sure of the scientific word they used but how would he be a girl if he is bright blue colors and has never laid any eggs or is compacted in the 3 years I have had him?

They are saying they think he may have gout and MBD but are going to do blood work and X-rays to make sure and see if anything else is going on. I’m also very confused because they said he is a girl? He looks nothing like a girl to me but they said something about there being no penial something? I’m not sure of the scientific word they used but how would he be a girl if he is bright blue colors and has never laid any eggs or is compacted in the 3 years I have had him?
They also said my Arcadia 6% UVB T5 HO I’ve been using has to be changed every 6 months not every year. They said to do multivitamin with D3 every 2 weeks (I’ve already been doing that) and calcium every 24-48 hours? So they want me to feed an adult panther everyday?

Ummm you 100% have a male. The fact that they are saying female is extremely concerning for me on if they actually know how to treat chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom