switch from crickets to something less jumpy?

Troodlesn

Hi all,

Most of the time it is Yoda’s owner, Ellie, writing on here, but this is her mom. Our current dilemma is that Ellie is quite freaked out by feeding Yoda crickets. Yoda eats them great and he’s really growing. We have a good system down, but my daughter is terrified to handle the crickets so her dad and I are doing it. I have suggested switching to roaches since they don't jump and they are better nutrition too. Well, my husband has said no roaches because if one escapes they will multiply like crazy. Is this true? I feel like the crickets only escape on occasion because they can jump and escape if we're not careful, so how would a roach escape?

I will say that Yoda has not been interested in any worms when we've tried them. Also, the worms also really freak out Ellie. Lol! We're really hoping for a good solution.

Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

Most of the time it is Yoda’s owner, Ellie, writing on here, but this is her mom. Our current dilemma is that Ellie is quite freaked out by feeding Yoda crickets. Yoda eats them great and he’s really growing. We have a good system down, but my daughter is terrified to handle the crickets so her dad and I are doing it. I have suggested switching to roaches since they don't jump and they are better nutrition too. Well, my husband has said no roaches because if one escapes they will multiply like crazy. Is this true? I feel like the crickets only escape on occasion because they can jump and escape if we're not careful, so how would a roach escape?

I will say that Yoda has not been interested in any worms when we've tried them. Also, the worms also really freak out Ellie. Lol! We're really hoping for a good solution.

Thanks for your help!
Depends on where you are located really, dubias can’t climb smooth surfaces so it is unlikely for the to escape. But, they most likely won’t multiply like crazy bc of the temperatures and humidity levels. Honestly I don’t blame Ellie for the fear of crickets lol, I’m horrified of them too. Roaches are the better option in my opinion.😊

Hi all,

Thanks for your help!
I use discoid roaches which are quite similar to dubia. Although they have wings, they do not fly. If you keep them in a smooth sided container, they can’t climb either. The only escapes I’ve had have been when I dropped them or when one of my chams left them uneaten in his shooting gallery feeder and they managed to slip out. Crickets are stinky, dirty and more likely to escape. Here’s the feeder graphic so you can see other options as well. Silkworms are one of my favorites, but I always feel bad when I feed them off.
2FEEE889-A04B-4CA5-8C99-A5665F59D632.jpeg

Thank you both. Yeah, we're in Michigan, so it's cold right now. The crickets are kept in our furnace/laundry room, so it's plenty hot in there, but the roaches could be kept elsewhere in the basement. It's my husband who needs convincing on the roaches. He used to live in the south and so he's got real experience with big ones in the house. lol!

Thank you both. Yeah, we're in Michigan, so it's cold right now. The crickets are kept in our furnace/laundry room, so it's plenty hot in there, but the roaches could be kept elsewhere in the basement. It's my husband who needs convincing on the roaches. He used to live in the south and so he's got real experience with big ones in the house. lol!
Yep...here in Texas, our roaches are HUGE and they fly too!!! It is quite horrifying when they fly in your hair (black hair specifically) and you don't know until someone looks at you as though you've grown another head!

There are several thousand roach species and maybe 6?(if that), that have potential as pests around the world. So you really have nothing to worry about as far as feeder roaches infesting your house. I sell feeders on the side and have about 40 different roach species. Other than when I've accidentally dropped them, none get out and definitely don't come close to reproducing anywhere other than their bins.

It's kind of funny, a lot of people are surprised at how long it takes some roaches to breed. They think they buy them and in a couple weeks there should be a booming colony. Most are easy, and worth it for a lot of reasons, but they take some patience before you have a lot reproducing(unless you buy a large colony to start off).

@jamest0o0 thank you, this is what I need my husband to see so we have a chance at trying them! Very helpful!!!

@MissSkittles, where do you buy your discoid roaches?

@Sullydatechie this is why my husband is so opposed to them, lol!
@jamest0o0 is a great source for roaches and I’m sure he could get you set up. It’s been so long since I initially bought my roaches, I can’t remember where I got them from. I bought from a few different places and only reluctantly started a colony when I didn’t know what to do with the ones that were too big to feed.

@jamest0o0 is a great source for roaches and I’m sure he could get you set up. It’s been so long since I initially bought my roaches, I can’t remember where I got them from. I bought from a few different places and only reluctantly started a colony when I didn’t know what to do with the ones that were too big to feed.

Thank you for the mention. There's usually a lot of places to get something like discoids and of course dubia(not crazy about dubia, their sluggishness isn't enticing to a lot of chams). OP if you're interested, feel free to PM me. I don't only sell them, but I'm always available to answer questions and help get things set up correctly.

I'm not a fan of crickets much prefer locust because there vegans, they can bite chams if left in overnight and they nocturnal. Are hopper's available in your part of the world as certain feeders are illegal depending on state. I used banded crickets when my chameleon was small less bitey but could jump high.

@Pickle-cham I don't know about locusts, but I think trying out some roaches is our next step. I know there aren't restrictions on those and we're just hoping for live food that is less likely to escape and chirp in the house at night. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom