Panther Cham not eating crickets from feeder.

CryptKeeper

So I bought this feeder recommended on here and it is awesome but for some reason my guy won’t eat from it. I cut the front part out bc the crickets were hanging at the top and looked like his view of them was impeded. But that didn’t help. And it’s not like he doesn’t like crickets. I see him pick off the ones that escape and he finds or I’ll throw some on the screen door (losing more in my house doing that lol) and he’ll eat them. So not sure the issue here or what to try. I am going to place another stick directly in front of the feeder tm for him see how that goes.

I haven’t tried roaches in there yet will tm also but the roaches I’ve been putting in a small cup with worms he eats out of but the crickets would just jump right out I would assume. Here’s some pics for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1804.jpeg
    IMG_1804.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 51
Some chams take a little while to fully adjust to using their feeders. See how he does with roaches and give him time. Hopefully he’ll soon learn that is where to find the yummies.

Some chams take a little while to fully adjust to using their feeders. See how he does with roaches and give him time. Hopefully he’ll soon learn that is where to find the yummies.
Will do just got fresh roaches today and some horn worms but they’re too small as of now will try other things in there plus a new branch for different angles

So I bought this feeder recommended on here and it is awesome but for some reason my guy won’t eat from it. I cut the front part out bc the crickets were hanging at the top and looked like his view of them was impeded. But that didn’t help. And it’s not like he doesn’t like crickets. I see him pick off the ones that escape and he finds or I’ll throw some on the screen door (losing more in my house doing that lol) and he’ll eat them. So not sure the issue here or what to try. I am going to place another stick directly in front of the feeder tm for him see how that goes.

I haven’t tried roaches in there yet will tm also but the roaches I’ve been putting in a small cup with worms he eats out of but the crickets would just jump right out I would assume. Here’s some pics for reference.
When my little guy came home, he had never eaten from a feeder. The breeder free ranged his crickets. Mine didn't go near the feeder the first day. However, the next day he gave it a shot and since then he loves it. Just give him some time, make sure the crickets specifically are in good view and he should catch on in the next few days if not earlier.

edit: never mind it looks like he's got it down already :D

When my little guy came home, he had never eaten from a feeder. The breeder free ranged his crickets. Mine didn't go near the feeder the first day. However, the next day he gave it a shot and since then he loves it. Just give him some time, make sure the crickets specifically are in good view and he should catch on in the next few days if not earlier.
Yeah pretty sure he caught on today although they disappeared while I wasn’t watching but I doubt they escaped bc they were just hanging there for a long time before I walked away. Plus his worm bowl was empty too

Yeah pretty sure he caught on today although they disappeared while I wasn’t watching but I doubt they escaped bc they were just hanging there for a long time before I walked away. Plus his worm bowl was empty too
Yep! I'm sure you'd see them around at least to an extent too if they had escaped. When ours escape 99% of them just try to go to the top of the enclosure to get to the light and Spike picks them off 😈

Yep! I'm sure you'd see them around at least to an extent too if they had escaped. When ours escape 99% of them just try to go to the top of the enclosure to get to the light and Spike picks them off 😈
Yeah normally the ones that escape crawl to the corners bc I have vines and they hide. He eventually finds them sooner or later or they die off.

I was putting them one at a time on the screen door he was eating them but I was losing a lot in my house haha glad he found it we’ll see tm if it goes quicker bc he already goes straight for the worm bowl when I put my hand in there hes learning quick.

I was putting them one at a time on the screen door he was eating them but I was losing a lot in my house haha glad he found it we’ll see tm if it goes quicker bc he already goes straight for the worm bowl when I put my hand in there hes learning quick.
Yeah the crickets can get kind of annoying lol I have a habit of losing 1-2 here or there when feeding.

I even use a funnel to dump them into the feeder now but .....at 6:45am I have a tendency to do stupid things because it takes forever for me to wake up

Yeah the crickets can get kind of annoying lol I have a habit of losing 1-2 here or there when feeding.

I even use a funnel to dump them into the feeder now but .....at 6:45am I have a tendency to do stupid things because it takes forever for me to wake up
Haha yeah they for sure are annoying. And smell

Haha yeah they for sure are annoying. And smell
Make sure you clean your crickets out often. I believe that is kind of important because they can be pretty dirty. Especially if you have any dying. I completely move them from 1 cage to another, clean the 1st cage out, and then kind of go back and forth. Every few days or so. At the very least, it helps keep that cricket smell away. FWIW I get my crickets from Josh's frogs like 90% of the time. If I am between shipments and need crickets, I supplement with a few dozen from petsmart. But I REALLY try to avoid that.

Make sure you clean your crickets out often. I believe that is kind of important because they can be pretty dirty. Especially if you have any dying. I completely move them from 1 cage to another, clean the 1st cage out, and then kind of go back and forth. Every few days or so. At the very least, it helps keep that cricket smell away. FWIW I get my crickets from Josh's frogs like 90% of the time. If I am between shipments and need crickets, I supplement with a few dozen from petsmart. But I REALLY try to avoid that.
Yeah I was thinking something along those lines of getting another enclosure otherwise it’s impossible. Plus the one I have is tiny and why it starts to smell quick. And I do my best to find the dead ones on the bottom of his enclosure. The good thing is I’ve never seen him go down more than like halfway.

I have a 10 gallon tank I think ima use for crickets and use the small one to gut load. And probable buy another 10 gallon so I can do as you do.

Also where do you guys store worms and roaches? Like super worms bsfl etc.

Do you do the same with them and gut load them in a separate enclosure? I put the worms with crickets once to dust them and the crickets immediately started eating one of the worms so I now know to keep the crickets separate lol

Yeah I was thinking something along those lines of getting another enclosure otherwise it’s impossible. Plus the one I have is tiny and why it starts to smell quick. And I do my best to find the dead ones on the bottom of his enclosure. The good thing is I’ve never seen him go down more than like halfway.

I have a 10 gallon tank I think ima use for crickets and use the small one to gut load. And probable buy another 10 gallon so I can do as you do.

Also where do you guys store worms and roaches? Like super worms bsfl etc.

Do you do the same with them and gut load them in a separate enclosure? I put the worms with crickets once to dust them and the crickets immediately started eating one of the worms so I now know to keep the crickets separate lol
And do you use the same gut load for all the feeders (same variation rather)

Back
Top Bottom