Swelling in eyes.

Lennoncham

Chameleon Enthusiast
IMG_2777.JPG Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon. about 2 years old (not sure of exact age). Had him since February last year.
  • Handling- once or twice a week
  • Feeding - mostly crickets , also hornworms, silk worms, bsfl, occasionally wax worms and butter worms. About 10 crickets every other day. Or less if feeding worms. Gutloading with repashy bug burger and supervite. Also use fresh greens and fruits. Alfalfa.
  • Supplements - zoo med repti calcium without d3 most feedings. Zoo med repti calcium with d3 Every 2 weeks. Herptivite every 2 weeks
  • Watering - mistking. 7:00 am - 8 mins 10:00 am - 4 mins 12:00 pm - 5 mins 3:00 pm - 3 mins Once a week - 15 mins
  • Fecal Description - brown with white urates. Never been tested for parasites.
  • History -

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 2x2x4 reptibreeze.
  • Lighting- 40 watt whit house hold bulb for basking. reptisun t5 5.0 uvb. 2 6400k t5 plant lights. On at 6:30 am off at 6:30 pm
  • Temperature - Basking 85-87 usually. Ambient 74-78. Night 64-70. measured with 2 prob thermometers and checked with a inferred thermometer.
  • Humidity - 55-75%
  • Plants - schefflara, pothos , Croton
  • Placement - spare room in basement. No air vent or fans. Top of cage is about 6 1/2 feet from floor.
  • Location - Ontario Canada.

Current Problem - i have noticed that Lennon hasn't been eating as much as usual lately. then today I noticed that the bottom of his eyes seem to be a bit swollen. It doesn't seem to be bothering him but I was wondering if anyone knows what could be the problem?

Is he missing his target when feeding?

No not missing his target. Just hasn't been eating many crickets. Maybe 2 or 3 a day for the past few days. Maybe he's just not liking crickets right now. Gunna go get some worms and see it he takes them. Still not sure about the swelling in eyes. Will be making a vet appointment.

Update: took lennnon to the vet today. Vet said his eyes look fine and that he looks good (guess I'm just a paranoid Cham keeper). Told me to use a higher watt basking light but everything else seems good. Getting a fecal test done as well so hopefully that's negative.

Update: took lennnon to the vet today. Vet said his eyes look fine and that he looks good (guess I'm just a paranoid Cham keeper). Told me to use a higher watt basking light but everything else seems good. Getting a fecal test done as well so hopefully that's negative.

Hi, lot of vet are wrong with chameleon especially with mild problem, are you sure this is a good vet with lots of experiences with chameleon?

Too me your boys can really have a Vit A problem
  • Supplements - zoo med repti calcium without d3 most feedings. Zoo med repti calcium with d3 Every 2 weeks. Herptivite every 2 weeks
Herptivite, has you said only got beta carotene, this puffy eye might just be a smooth advice. I strongly suggest you to change your vitamines for something with preformed Vit A (Repashy LoD make a good job!) or, if you still want to finish your Herptivite (good vitamine.. but really need a preformed vit A) go straight to the pharmacy and buy Vit A pill (oil pills) dip 1 or two feeder in the oil every month and give the dipped feeder to your buddy ;)

any other symptoms? how is the shedding period?

Hi, lot of vet are wrong with chameleon especially with mild problem, are you sure this is a good vet with lots of experiences with chameleon?

Too me your boys can really have a Vit A problem
Herptivite, has you said only got beta carotene, this puffy eye might just be a smooth advice. I strongly suggest you to change your vitamines for something with preformed Vit A (Repashy LoD make a good job!) or, if you still want to finish your Herptivite (good vitamine.. but really need a preformed vit A) go straight to the pharmacy and buy Vit A pill (oil pills) dip 1 or two feeder in the oil every month and give the dipped feeder to your buddy ;)

any other symptoms? how is the shedding period?

He is the only good vet around me that deals with chameleons. He did know what he's is talking about and has a panther of his own that is 7 years old so he must do something right lol. I think the eye problem might have been not enough water and to low of a baskin temp. I started hand misting once and a while and Lennon loves it. I boosted the basking temp a bit to help with digestion and vitamin / mineral absorption. I will add a preformed vitamin a once every month or so.

He is the only good vet around me that deals with chameleons. He did know what he's is talking about and has a panther of his own that is 7 years old so he must do something right lol. I think the eye problem might have been not enough water and to low of a baskin temp. I started hand misting once and a while and Lennon loves it. I boosted the basking temp a bit to help with digestion and vitamin / mineral absorption. I will add a preformed vitamin a once every month or so.
Good ;) so in anyway your chameleon is in good hands for the vit A and the husbandry (i personally see a vet told a burn is a stucked shed.. try watering a chameleon with a dish and give a toxic medecin to a chameleon.. thats why im asking)

Back
Top Bottom