Caught Herbie sleeping again… help!

hi everyone! So I’ve had Herbie for 6 months now so he’s about 1 year old and I took him for a vet visit because he hadn’t pooped in a while (they said they knew what they were doing but obviously not). He ended up pooping on the way there but we did a check up and I’m afraid the vet hurt him and that was 3 weeks ago about. This is the 3rd time I’ve caught Herbie sleeping and I’ve noticed him going down to the bottom of the cage (so I’m thinking something might be going wrong with husbandry) but I’m not sure if the vet did something wrong and he’s stressed or if I need to change some things!
Temps are 75 at the bottom of the cage and basking temp is 81-83. I use calcium without d3 everyday and use calcium with d3 on the 1st and 15th of every month. For food he gets gut loaded crickets which I give mustard greens, collard greens, parsley, carrots, blueberries, and sweet peppers. I also give him silkworms when I have them available (this recent shipment they all died). I give him super worms as treats (only 1 in his bowl with about 4 small crickets). Or I give 3-4 silkworms just depends on what I have that day. Misting machine is on for 2 mins in the morning at 8 am and again at 7:50 pm for 2 mins. Fog machine I have going from 10 pm to 8 am (I can’t seem to get humidity to stay up so that’s why it’s on all night). I have a bioactive enclosure so it’s sort of difficult to tell when he’s pooped so I’m not sure the last time he went so I’ll be on survey to get a good look.

Attachments

• IMG_6227.jpeg
    IMG_6227.jpeg
    223.1 KB · Views: 17
The ReptiVite is a combination multivitamin and D3 and is a good one to use. I’m not seeing anything of what you said as potential reason for him to close his eyes. I do know from also having bioactive enclosures that I often will find my chameleons on or near the bottom, hunting for isopods. Did you have a fecal parasite check done? Can you post some clearer pics of your guy without the screen in the way?

So when he was at the vet they took the poop and ran all the tests and said everything looked fine! And here is a picture of him right now

Attachments

• IMG_6231.jpeg
    IMG_6231.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6232.jpeg
    IMG_6232.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6230.jpeg
    IMG_6230.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6233.jpeg
    IMG_6233.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 18
So it’s been around noon the first two times I caught him and then today it was around 5 so still pretty early I feel like. Usually when he tucks himself into bed early he has a spot he goes to and his tail curls up but when he does this his tail does not curl up :( so I don’t know maybe he’s still recovering from the vet visit?

So it’s been around noon the first two times I caught him and then today it was around 5 so still pretty early I feel like. Usually when he tucks himself into bed early he has a spot he goes to and his tail curls up but when he does this his tail does not curl up :( so I don’t know maybe he’s still recovering from the vet visit?
No, I don’t think that would do it. I would say to have some labs drawn or maybe x ray, but sounds like your vet is questionable. We can maybe help you find a better vet. @elizaann2 can you please provide your vet list?

No, I don’t think that would do it. I would say to have some labs drawn or maybe x ray, but sounds like your vet is questionable. We can maybe help you find a better vet. @elizaann2 can you please provide your vet list?
You bet! See attached.

I hope your chameleon feels better soon ❤️

Attachments

• Exotic Vet Recommendations - U.S.A..pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 14
To be honest, I’m not sure, I bought from a breeder at repticon and he gave me a bunch of stuff all together that I bought. Here are some more pictures, not sure if that helps!

Attachments

• IMG_6253.jpeg
    IMG_6253.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6254.jpeg
    IMG_6254.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 11
To be honest, I’m not sure, I bought from a breeder at repticon and he gave me a bunch of stuff all together that I bought. Here are some more pictures, not sure if that helps!
Oh my... Ok... I need you to turn off the fixture. And on the bulb at one end of the glass tube it should have writing printed on it. I need you to take a picture of what it is stamped with. This may mean turning the bulb and taking the bulb out of the fixture if the stamped place is towards the reflector of the fixture.

Is this what you are talking about?
So that is a sticker they put on the fixture... Guessing the seller did that. So I want to actually double check your bulb. So it would be on the bulb. Like this... This is an arcadia bulb. Reptisun prints theirs like this as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8711.jpeg
    IMG_8711.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 10
Okay so I took the bulb out and everything but there is nothing written anywhere!
Ok that is what I was concerned about. It more than likely is a daylight bulb then. All uvb bulbs have it specifically printed on it. UGGG>

Ok so based on what they put on the label they added to the fixture. This is a 36 inch fixture so you need a 34 inch bulb which would be 39 watts.

So arcadia 6% or reptisun 5.0....

Not sure if you can get this local or not. 36 inch fixtures are an odd length so normally places like petco and petsmart do not stock the bulbs for this length. I have to order my bulbs, I have the 36 inch as well.

Back
Top Bottom