Help chameleon eye swelling

It's like she is scared of me which I'm fine with but she runs down to where I can't see her and the leaves block out the lights so she thinks it's night then she falls asleep. She won't sleep anywhere else then in the vines because they block out the lights. I haven't done a husbandry review in a while may you please send me one
Can you share a picture of her sleeping now?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Your Chameleon - The species:  veiled, sex: female, and age of your chameleon: 2 to 2 and a half years. How long has it been in your care?: 2 years in november
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?: maybe once every 1 or 2 days
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?: dubia roaches and hornworms as treats. What amount?: 4 roaches every 3 days and 2 hornworm a month. What is the schedule?: 6:00 am lights turn on, 5 pm lights of, fog 30 minutes off 30 minutes on when lights are off, mist at 5:30 am and Pm for 3 minutes, I drip like twice a week for like 4 hours. How are you gut-loading your feeders?: 75% collard greens, 15% papaya, and 5% bee pollen.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?: I use the zoomed repti calcium without d3 for every feeding and reptivite multivitamins twice a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?: drip twice a week and mist twice a day with a auto mister and fog 30min off 30min on during night. How often and how long do you mist?: twice a day at 5:30 pm and am for 3 minutes. Do you see your chameleon drinking?: maybe like once a week.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?: urates are white with end a little yellow or the white turns light yellow, poop is the normal consistency, and my girl has been tested and it came back negative.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.: used to be overweight.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?: screen 48x24x24
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: white basking bulb 60 watt, t5 5.0 linear 24 inch uvb bulb. Lights on at 6am lights off at 5pm.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?: 74 in middle to low of the cage and 80 to 85 near basking spot. Lowest overnight temp?: 72 which I know is a little hight I'm trying to lower it. How do you measure these temps?: thermal gun.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity level?: 40 to 50 in the day and 50 to 70 at night which I know is a little low. How are you creating and maintaining these levels?: misting and fogging. What do you use to measure humidity?: a little hydrometer tester.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants?:  yes. If so, what kind?: devils ivy.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located?: in my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas?: vent is like 8 feet away and is pointing at cage. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?: 6 to 8 feet.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?: copperas cove tx.

Current Problem - a little bit of swelling near the eye and hiding in vines that block light so she thinks it's night and falls asleep( she wont fall asleep anywhere else then the vines ).

Thanks! See my answers below in red

Your Chameleon - The species:  veiled, sex: female, and age of your chameleon: 2 to 2 and a half years. How long has it been in your care?: 2 years in november
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?: maybe once every 1 or 2 days. Handling can be an added stress to chameleons, I would avoid handling your girl as much as possible. I only handle mine when I have to like doing a physical exam or taking them to the vet. If your girl wants to come out of her enclosure often, it may be because there are not a lot of places to hide, we often find that as we provide more coverage for 'friendly' chameleons they stop wanting to come out as often and are more content being in their enclosures. I know you are working on sticks and plants in your enclosure, I would suspect you may see that change in your girl once you get that all set up for her.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?: dubia roaches and hornworms as treats. What amount?: 4 roaches every 3 days and 2 hornworm a month. This is great! If you can add a variety to her diet that would be good as well, BSFL are really cheap and easy to keep, those might be a good addition. I just bought 1000 on dubia.com for $14. If they turn hard and black they are about to hatch into flies which are a fun food to feed your chameleon as well.
What is the schedule?: 6:00 am lights turn on, 5 pm lights of, fog 30 minutes off 30 minutes on when lights are off, mist at 5:30 am and Pm for 3 minutes, I drip like twice a week for like 4 hours. This is awesome! You might not need to drip for 4 hours, I only do my drippers for 15 minutes every other day. What are your night temps? Just be careful with fogging above 68 degrees in her enclosure. High temps and high humidity can cause an upper respiratory infection
How are you gut-loading your feeder.s?: 75% collard greens, 15% papaya, and 5% bee pollen. Fantastic!
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?: I use the zoomed repti calcium without d3 for every feeding and reptivite multivitamins twice a month. Does your reptivite multivitamin have d3?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?: drip twice a week and mist twice a day with a auto mister and fog 30min off 30min on during night. How often and how long do you mist?: twice a day at 5:30 pm and am for 3 minutes. Do you see your chameleon drinking?: maybe like once a week. See above
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?: urates are white with end a little yellow or the white turns light yellow, poop is the normal consistency, and my girl has been tested and it came back negative. How long ago was she tested for parasites? This would be something I would look into if she keeps sleeping during the day. My boy had parasites but it took a total of 3 fecal tests before we finally caught the parasite - they don't always shed eggs so sometimes with 1 test we can miss that.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.: used to be overweight.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?: screen 48x24x24. perfect!
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: white basking bulb 60 watt, t5 5.0 linear 24 inch uvb bulb. Lights on at 6am lights off at 5pm. perfect!! How long have you used that specific UVB bulb?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?: 74 in middle to low of the cage and 80 to 85 near basking spot. This is awesome! With your feeding schedule I would aim for no more than 80 degrees for basking, the higher her temps are the higher her metabolism will be Lowest overnight temp?: 72 which I know is a little hight I'm trying to lower it. I would not fog at 72 degrees, this could cause a URI. Either look into decreasing her temps or make adjustments to your misting and dripping system for hydration without a fogger. Do you hear her whistle or pop when she breathes? How do you measure these temps?: thermal gun. great!
  • Humidity - What are your humidity level?: 40 to 50 in the day and 50 to 70 at night which I know is a little low. Humidity during the day is perfect, you are right, the humidity at night is a little low, but again if your temps are high you will want it lower at night anyways. How are you creating and maintaining these levels?: misting and fogging. What do you use to measure humidity?: a little hydrometer tester. perfect!
  • Plants - Are you using live plants?:  yes. If so, what kind?: devils ivy. Fantastic! I've included a list of other safe plants incase you are able to come across any of these to add in her enclosure as well.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located?: in my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas?: vent is like 8 feet away and is pointing at cage. Any chance she can feel that cold air blowing on her? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?: 6 to 8 feet.

Current Problem - a little bit of swelling near the eye and hiding in vines that block light so she thinks it's night and falls asleep( she wont fall asleep anywhere else then the vines ). When you can share a pic of this that will be helpful, if her enclosure lights are on, I am hesitant to think that she is just going in there to sleep - most likely something else is going on.

Has she ever laid eggs? If so how much and when? Do you have a lay bin for her?

Attachments

• Chameleon-Safe Plants.pdf
    544 KB · Views: 47
  • Plants.png
    Plants.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 38
Thanks! See my answers below in red

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?: maybe once every 1 or 2 days. Handling can be an added stress to chameleons, I would avoid handling your girl as much as possible. I only handle mine when I have to like doing a physical exam or taking them to the vet. If your girl wants to come out of her enclosure often, it may be because there are not a lot of places to hide, we often find that as we provide more coverage for 'friendly' chameleons they stop wanting to come out as often and are more content being in their enclosures. I know you are working on sticks and plants in your enclosure, I would suspect you may see that change in your girl once you get that all set up for her.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?: dubia roaches and hornworms as treats. What amount?: 4 roaches every 3 days and 2 hornworm a month. This is great! If you can add a variety to her diet that would be good as well, BSFL are really cheap and easy to keep, those might be a good addition. I just bought 1000 on dubia.com for $14. If they turn hard and black they are about to hatch into flies which are a fun food to feed your chameleon as well.
What is the schedule?: 6:00 am lights turn on, 5 pm lights of, fog 30 minutes off 30 minutes on when lights are off, mist at 5:30 am and Pm for 3 minutes, I drip like twice a week for like 4 hours. This is awesome! You might not need to drip for 4 hours, I only do my drippers for 15 minutes every other day. What are your night temps? Just be careful with fogging above 68 degrees in her enclosure. High temps and high humidity can cause an upper respiratory infection
How are you gut-loading your feeder.s?: 75% collard greens, 15% papaya, and 5% bee pollen. Fantastic!
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?: I use the zoomed repti calcium without d3 for every feeding and reptivite multivitamins twice a month. Does your reptivite multivitamin have d3?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?: drip twice a week and mist twice a day with a auto mister and fog 30min off 30min on during night. How often and how long do you mist?: twice a day at 5:30 pm and am for 3 minutes. Do you see your chameleon drinking?: maybe like once a week. See above
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?: urates are white with end a little yellow or the white turns light yellow, poop is the normal consistency, and my girl has been tested and it came back negative. How long ago was she tested for parasites? This would be something I would look into if she keeps sleeping during the day. My boy had parasites but it took a total of 3 fecal tests before we finally caught the parasite - they don't always shed eggs so sometimes with 1 test we can miss that.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?: screen 48x24x24. perfect!
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?: white basking bulb 60 watt, t5 5.0 linear 24 inch uvb bulb. Lights on at 6am lights off at 5pm. perfect!! How long have you used that specific UVB bulb?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?: 74 in middle to low of the cage and 80 to 85 near basking spot. This is awesome! With your feeding schedule I would aim for no more than 80 degrees for basking, the higher her temps are the higher her metabolism will be Lowest overnight temp?: 72 which I know is a little hight I'm trying to lower it. I would not fog at 72 degrees, this could cause a URI. Either look into decreasing her temps or make adjustments to your misting and dripping system for hydration without a fogger. Do you hear her whistle or pop when she breathes? How do you measure these temps?: thermal gun. great!
  • Humidity - What are your humidity level?: 40 to 50 in the day and 50 to 70 at night which I know is a little low. Humidity during the day is perfect, you are right, the humidity at night is a little low, but again if your temps are high you will want it lower at night anyways. How are you creating and maintaining these levels?: misting and fogging. What do you use to measure humidity?: a little hydrometer tester. perfect!
  • Plants - Are you using live plants?:  yes. If so, what kind?: devils ivy. Fantastic! I've included a list of other safe plants incase you are able to come across any of these to add in her enclosure as well.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located?: in my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas?: vent is like 8 feet away and is pointing at cage. Any chance she can feel that cold air blowing on her? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?: 6 to 8 feet.

Current Problem - a little bit of swelling near the eye and hiding in vines that block light so she thinks it's night and falls asleep( she wont fall asleep anywhere else then the vines ). When you can share a pic of this that will be helpful, if her enclosure lights are on, I am hesitant to think that she is just going in there to sleep - most likely something else is going on.

Has she ever laid eggs? If so how much and when? Do you have a lay bin for her?
Multivitamins does have d3, how many bsfl do you feed, I know about uri that's why I'm trying to lower temp, 6-9 month's ago for parasites, uvb bulb is like 10 days old, no whistles or pops or wheezing, working on plants, I may have over exaggerated the vent distance it's like 17 and I can't feel any breeze, ya I'm also worried about her sleeping, she's never laid eggs and my dad said that the laying bin will break the bottom bum I'm trying to tell him it won't but he won't listen, how much does it cost to test for parasites where you are?

The bsf are a little smaller so I might feed 4 of those.

Good keep working on the temps.

That’s interesting she is 2 and hasn’t laid any eggs yet. Has she been on ‘the diet’ or has anyone on here guided you through what that would look like? I'm going to tag some people here that has more experience with egg laying that may be able to help more with this @MissSkittles @kinyonga

The lay bin won’t break the bottom. I have two lay bins in my enclosure and the bottom is just fine. (Pic attached)

It’s about $70 for a fecal test where I am. I know you have to do things slowly so maybe just keep that in mind if she doesn’t improve as you get her enclosure all set up as that could be causing stress as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7640.jpeg
    IMG_7640.jpeg
    400.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7639.jpeg
    IMG_7639.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 39
That’s interesting she is 2 and hasn’t laid any eggs yet. Has she been on ‘the diet’ or has anyone on here guided you through what that would look like?
You’ve done a great job on not overfeeding your girl and without even realizing it, have had her on ‘the diet’ to help reduce egg production. The more we feed our girls, the more eggs they’ll produce and by keeping the them on a limited but healthy amount of food, they may produce a small clutch of eggs, produce less frequently and in some situations like yours, not ever produce/lay eggs. To help so they don’t feel really hungry, we don’t let their temps go any higher than 80. Just in case though, always always give a girl a lay bin. With the way you have your enclosure set up, yes, a lay bin will break thru the bottom. You’ll have to provide it some sturdy support beneath. Something like blocks of wood or even bricks would work. Explain to your dad and he’ll have to help figure it out.

You’ve done a great job on not overfeeding your girl and without even realizing it, have had her on ‘the diet’ to help reduce egg production. The more we feed our girls, the more eggs they’ll produce and by keeping the them on a limited but healthy amount of food, they may produce a small clutch of eggs, produce less frequently and in some situations like yours, not ever produce/lay eggs. To help so they don’t feel really hungry, we don’t let their temps go any higher than 80. Just in case though, always always give a girl a lay bin. With the way you have your enclosure set up, yes, a lay bin will break thru the bottom. You’ll have to provide it some sturdy support beneath. Something like blocks of wood or even bricks would work. Explain to your dad and he’ll have to help figure it out.
Until about a year ago she was over weight I'll send a pic. And may yall please pray for my brother he got in a severe car accident at 3 am.

Until about a year ago she was over weight I'll send a pic. And may yall please pray for my brother he got in a severe car accident at 3 am.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818-181407_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818-181407_Chrome.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20230818-181418_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818-181418_Chrome.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20230818-181402_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818-181402_Chrome.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 41
I have the stuff for a lay bin but I never thought of that so thank you. But when you say never over 80 does that count for the basking spot?

I have the stuff for a lay bin but I never thought of that so thank you. But when you say never over 80 does that count for the basking spot?
Yes that is meant for the basking spot. The rest of the enclosure should be cooler than that for sure as well.

I just fixed her vines. There are still some dark spots where light doesn't come through but I don't know how to fix that.

Attachments

• 20230821_165311.jpg
    20230821_165311.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 37
I have a job for you @cadet21345 🥸 I want you to go out on a stick hunt. Whether your back yard, a woody lot nearby, someone trimming their trees (make sure they don’t use pesticide) - wherever you can find a nice assortment of sizes and diameters. Try to get about 4-6 that are kind of straight and thicker. Give them a little scrub with dish soap, blast with the hose and dry in the sun. Take the straighter ones and attach them inside your enclosure at the corners to the frame with fishing line or thin wire...even twine would work. Be careful the ones by the door don’t interfere with the door. Ones with a gentle bend work well on those corners. Now, you can attach some shorter sticks horizontally to the corner ones in like an ‘H‘ shape. Now you have a little scaffolding that you can attach the rest of the branches to, drape your beautiful pothos vines over and just have fun. Your little lady will be fussy but in the end she’ll love having the extra roads to travel.

I have a job for you @cadet21345 🥸 I want you to go out on a stick hunt. Whether your back yard, a woody lot nearby, someone trimming their trees (make sure they don’t use pesticide) - wherever you can find a nice assortment of sizes and diameters. Try to get about 4-6 that are kind of straight and thicker. Give them a little scrub with dish soap, blast with the hose and dry in the sun. Take the straighter ones and attach them inside your enclosure at the corners to the frame with fishing line or thin wire...even twine would work. Be careful the ones by the door don’t interfere with the door. Ones with a gentle bend work well on those corners. Now, you can attach some shorter sticks horizontally to the corner ones in like an ‘H‘ shape. Now you have a little scaffolding that you can attach the rest of the branches to, drape your beautiful pothos vines over and just have fun. Your little lady will be fussy but in the end she’ll love having the extra roads to travel.
Ya I have 3 ready

Back
Top Bottom