Supplements: indoor vs. outdoor

melble68

Established Member
What kind of a typical supplement regiment should I be using for a juvi male nosy be for the cooler months where he'll be inside vs. the warmer months where my outdoor enclosure will get used? I'm in Tampa, and I'm expecting / hoping for him to be housed outdoors for probably 3/4's of the year. I know there's nothing better than the good ole SUN for vitamin D production compared to a UV lamp. I have read quite a number of posts on what everyone uses for indoor regiments, but not that many on chameleons kept out of doors. I'll be taking notes on everyone's replies. Tks in advance.

If housed outdoor no additional d3 supplementation is needed as long as he gets unfiltered sun light. If the chameleon is housed indoors with no sunlight then calcium with d3 should be dusted onto feeders twice a month if you are talking about a panther chameleon.

Yep, a Nosy Be. I'm in discussion w/ a breeder right now about an acquisition of a young male.

If housed outdoor no additional d3 supplementation is needed as long as he gets unfiltered sun light. If the chameleon is housed indoors with no sunlight then calcium with d3 should be dusted onto feeders twice a month if you are talking about a panther chameleon.

I total agree, no d3 when they receive allot of outside time.

This is from my blog on how I supplement.

The feeders have to be "lightly" dusted with 2 kinds of supplements. When your chameleon is young you will use plain calcium (no d3) at just about every feeding...... if you skip one or two days a month that's ok. You will also need Reptivite with d3 twice a month.

An adult male chameleon will not need nearly as much supplements. If your Cham gets allot of outside time and you feed a large variety of well gutloaded feeders, he may not need any calcium or D3 at all, just a multivitamin without D3.

My blog for new keepers:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

hi mark,

i agree with the prior posts. i manage to keep mine outdoors year-round so have stopped any oral D supplementation altogether. but if i were bringing them in for a few months under a bulb i would do the typical 2x monthly dosing.

o-

Thank you to all for helping to clarify for my particular situation. I appreciate everyone's input.

Back
Top Bottom