Supplement Replacement

maven

I've had my panther chameleon, Charmander, for a little over a month and I have been loving every minute of it! :D I have a new question I was hoping the community could help me answer. I read on one website that supplements (such as the Calcium, Calcium/D3 and multivitamin) need to be replaced 6 months from the date the package was opened. Is this correct? Can the supplements last longer than this or should the supplements be replaced more frequently? I know that supplements do degrade after the package has been opened. I was wondering how frequently other members on the forum replace their supplements. I hate to throw out unused supplements, but the care of Charmander is my primary concern. I want to make sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs!

Good question, I'd like to know the answer too. I bought my repashy in august and would assume it's still okay.

I believe putting it in the fridge helps to preserve it once its been opened.

Good question, I'd like to know the answer too. I bought my repashy in august and would assume it's still okay.

I believe putting it in the fridge helps to preserve it once its been opened.

I've just been storing mine in a cabinet. It didn't even occur to me that I should perhaps store it in the fridge. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who might find this information useful. I'm sure this is a silly question for more experienced members, but I tried searching the forum before posting this thread and couldn't really find much on the topic. I was just wondering how frequently everyone replaces their supplements. Up until now I was assuming the date printed on the container was the "best used by" date.

Most supplement bottles will have an expiration date on it somewhere. I've never heard about throwing them out early, but I would assume refrigeration would help with its preservation.

I could see some vitamins degrading over time, but minerals? Calcium's pretty stable stuff, IIRC.

Was the person who told you to replace them hoping to sell you new bottles?

(I know that at the rate I use dust on bugs for two smallish young veileds, I'd be tossing nearly full canisters of six-month old calcium in the trash!)

If we find that calcium needs to be replaced, perhaps those with gardens should mix it into their soil . . .

~Bruce

I could see some vitamins degrading over time, but minerals? Calcium's pretty stable stuff, IIRC.

Was the person who told you to replace them hoping to sell you new bottles?

(I know that at the rate I use dust on bugs for two smallish young veileds, I'd be tossing nearly full canisters of six-month old calcium in the trash!)

If we find that calcium needs to be replaced, perhaps those with gardens should mix it into their soil . . .

~Bruce
+1

Vitamins and dry form supplements.. well... The FDA doesn’t require expiration dates on vitamins/supplements. So, the pharmaceutical companies place the date on the package “voluntarily”. The FDA will also tell you that vitamins will retain their potency for up to five years. Companies do this because they want your money. It's just like a lot of medicine. I have painkillers from 5 years ago that still work just as good today as they did when prescribed.

Another FYI: The gel caps are practically invincible. Powders and dry goods can oxidize eventually but this happens around a rate of 10% loss of potency a year after the five years. For a company.... even if the drug loses .1% in 6 months of it's original value they see it a reason to say it's "expired."

The first time I saw the "replace every 6 months" recommendation was on a website which does sell supplements. So I decided to do a little investigating online and found a few random blogs mention this as well. I had previously never heard of this so I was just hoping to get other members' thoughts on the matter. I too would be throwing away nearly full bottles of supplement if I need to be replacing it every 6 months! I was originally planning on replacing supplements once a year, but I don't want to risk my chameleon's health.

I also use the Repashy products, and what I do is place a small amount in a 2 oz. plastic souffle cup with a lid. That's what I use to dust, and I keep the rest of the Repashy in the fridge. I add more to the souffle cup as needed, but I haven't gotten rid of my supplements due to expiration date. Just my 2 cents, but I've been keeping chams for over 5 years now, and haven't had any problems, knock on wood! :D

I also use the Repashy products, and what I do is place a small amount in a 2 oz. plastic souffle cup with a lid. That's what I use to dust, and I keep the rest of the Repashy in the fridge. I add more to the souffle cup as needed, but I haven't gotten rid of my supplements due to expiration date. Just my 2 cents, but I've been keeping chams for over 5 years now, and haven't had any problems, knock on wood! :D

Good idea! I will have to give that a go

Back
Top Bottom