Panther Chameleon not eating very much

Micklepickle

Hi,

I have a 1.5 year old Nosy Be Panther Chameleon (Nigel). I’ve had him about a year, and im currently (trying) to feed him every other day on a diet of locusts, crickets, wax worms, mealworms and calciworms (he has a rota of which insects on which day). On his feed days he has 3 different supplements (a calcium with no d3 twice a week, a mineral supplement once a fortnight, and a multivitamin once a fortnight). Over the last month he has been quite tricky to feed and I’ve tried a few different methods (in a pot, insects on his branches loose in tank), but aren’t really working. I don’t know if he is being fussy, or if I’m not doing something right (as this is my first chameleon), but over the past 3 weeks he has only eaten on 6 of those days (and these have pretty much only been wax worms). I’m worried that he isn’t getting the nutrients from the supplements as he isn’t eating very often. I weighed him last week and he is 175g which I think is ok. Hopefully this is normal behaviour and I’m just worrying over nothing, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Mike.

Hi. As panthers mature they will self-regulate their food intake as their bodies need. Many are also much smarter than we give them credit for and will hold out for the good feeders, like superworms and wax worms. I would try feeding him 3 good staple feeders every other day and make an appointment with a vet to have a general exam and make sure to take a fresh poo for a parasite check. Can you post some pics of him and his enclosure, including the lights? If you would like to make sure your husbandry is correct, you can fill out the help form found here. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a couple of recent photos of your chameleon please.

What specific supplements do you use?

You should be dusting lightly with a phos free calcium powder at all feedings but 2 a month. On those two feedings you should use a vitamin powder that contains D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A lightly.

What UVB light do you use? Most often recommended are the Arcadia 6% or Reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light.

Whats your basking temperature?

Back
Top Bottom