Summer Weather

FAIL

How long is it ok to keep my chams outside in the summer while i'm out there with them (they'll be in their outside cage) and should the cage be in the shade? I have completely shaded areas in my back yard, and not shaded at all areas?where as well. (panther cham and veiled)

Find a place in your yard that gets morning sun and afternoon is shaded. That way they can warm up in the morning and get in the shade in the afternoon when its really hot. Make sure they have access to a dripper or some other form of watering when left outside.

Natural sunlight is really the best medicine in the world for chams. You will be suprised by how energized they get after being outside even 1 or 2 days a week.

Make sure you have a temp gun and keep a close eye on the temps. They can over heat very quickly traped in a cage.

It depends on how large and how well planted your outside cages are. I kept one of my male panthers in direct sun all day however the enclosure was 4x4x6 feet and VERY well planted. He could get out of the sun anytime he liked and had plenty of shade in those spots. I kept my panthers out as long as it didnt go over 95 and didnt go under 55 or so. Of course on the few days it did get into the 90s they got plenty of drink opps and they also got a "cool rain" to cool them off. Everyone speaks about their animals not like cooler water but I have honestly not seen any signs they did not like it especially on the hotter days. If the enclosures are small I would put them in the shade as texas panther man suggested. Its really all on how your enclosures are set up.

Back
Top Bottom