RIP Gilbert

This is just awful. Its strange the hawk is coming around aggresively afterward. there is a slim possibilty that glibert got dropped and its still hunting him. Like i said its slim, very slim, but i would keep my eye out! So sorry for this to happen to you. What a nightmare!
I suppose the thought process is, I got one easy meal so there must be more. Like bunnies or squirrels, there’s never just one. Have you ever noticed black squirrels never last long? They’re easy pickings. Now imagine how long a bright blue and red squirrel would last. It’s like taking candy from a baby. That’s what happened to Gilbert. 😢

I hate to ask, but are you certain the hawk got him? With their range of view could he have seen it and thrown himself to the ground and run off?
I know the hawk was only doing what it needs to do to survive, but 🤬 that bird!

I hate to ask, but are you certain the hawk got him? With their range of view could he have seen it and thrown himself to the ground and run off?
My yard is 100% enclosed by an 8’ privacy fence and no holes under for escape. I checked every single shrub.

I found this online and this just adds emphasis for why we don’t leave our chams to bask outside and unattended in a tree. Looks to be somewhere like a Florida where veiled chams are invasive.

And I absolutely agree, it’s probably just a mother bird doing it’s job but blank blank blankety blank that bird

I’m posting this as a cautionary tale, and an admittance of guilt, because I definitely know better. My male ambilobe panther named Gilbert was taken by a red tailed hawk while basking outside on our willow tree.

A few things:
1) I have never seen any hawk near my property
2) I have been putting my chams outside (supervised) for natural light for years now without issue
3) I was mowing the lawn while Gilbert was in the tree so I was within line of sight when it happened.
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

I didn’t actually see it happen. Gilbert was in the tree for maybe 15 minutes as I mowed back and forth along the property. I have a fenced in yard and there is no way he ran away. The dogs were not outside and yep, I saw the hawk flying away. Gilbert was an angel…so sweet and gentle with handling. He seemed to genuinely enjoy it or at the very least, he was neutral about it. He did not like having his photo taken!

I have noticed the hawk flying around the property ever since and my wife said it flew down right over her head, between ours and the neighbors’ house. Clearly this thing is casing the area looking for another chameleon. It’s huge and looks to be a female.

If you’re bringing your chameleon outside, and putting it in a tree or bush…don’t leave it! Don’t walk to the other side of your yard or expect you will see something approaching before something bad happens. A hawk can spot prey from a mile away and a panther chameleon, with its bright colors, sticks out like a neon sign that says eat me. I’m still sick to my stomach thinking about it. Anyway…there it is and I hope this post saves a cham.
So very sorry. I would add to this don't do it at all unless in a safe enclosure. I have had 2 customers have birds taken right off their shoulder while out walking!

I’m posting this as a cautionary tale, and an admittance of guilt, because I definitely know better. My male ambilobe panther named Gilbert was taken by a red tailed hawk while basking outside on our willow tree.

A few things:
2) I have been putting my chams outside (supervised) for natural light for years now without issue
3) I was mowing the lawn while Gilbert was in the tree so I was within line of sight when it happened.
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

I didn’t actually see it happen. Gilbert was in the tree for maybe 15 minutes as I mowed back and forth along the property. I have a fenced in yard and there is no way he ran away. The dogs were not outside and yep, I saw the hawk flying away. Gilbert was an angel…so sweet and gentle with handling. He seemed to genuinely enjoy it or at the very least, he was neutral about it. He did not like having his photo taken!

I have noticed the hawk flying around the property ever since and my wife said it flew down right over her head, between ours and the neighbors’ house. Clearly this thing is casing the area looking for another chameleon. It’s huge and looks to be a female.

If you’re bringing your chameleon outside, and putting it in a tree or bush…don’t leave it! Don’t walk to the other side of your yard or expect you will see something approaching before something bad happens. A hawk can spot prey from a mile away and a panther chameleon, with its bright colors, sticks out like a neon sign that says eat me. I’m still sick to my stomach thinking about it. Anyway…there it is and I hope this post saves a cham.
Very sad to hear... But thank you for sharing so others may learn from your experience... I always tell people to be so crazy cautious with letting them be outside and to not leave them. It happens so fast when something goes wrong. I am very sorry for your loss.

A few things:
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

Wow this is terrible. I am so sorry to hear this.

With that being said, I personally live near a LOT of birds of prey. Redtail hawks, Bald Eagles, Osprey, etc. I actually have a huge nest that is probably over 5 feet wide across the street. For that reason I will never bring my chameleon outside here where I am. If you don't normally see them, you wouldn't expect them. There was no way for you to know really. These birds have eyes that can see our chameleons from probably a mile away. At least you're bringing the possibility of what can happen to others so we can all learn from this. Even if you think it can't happen, it can. I think if people are bringing their chameleons outside, maybe this should be a wake up call to make sure they're at least still inside of an enclosure for their safety!

I know nothing can help you feel better right now. I've recently lost a chameleon too and it's heartbreaking. He clearly had a good home. You obviously cared for him and you learned from it.

Wow this is terrible. I am so sorry to hear this.

With that being said, I personally live near a LOT of birds of prey. Redtail hawks, Bald Eagles, Osprey, etc. I actually have a huge nest that is probably over 5 feet wide across the street. For that reason I will never bring my chameleon outside here where I am. If you don't normally see them, you wouldn't expect them. There was no way for you to know really. These birds have eyes that can see our chameleons from probably a mile away. At least you're bringing the possibility of what can happen to others so we can all learn from this. Even if you think it can't happen, it can. I think if people are bringing their chameleons outside, maybe this should be a wake up call to make sure they're at least still inside of an enclosure for their safety!

I know nothing can help you feel better right now. I've recently lost a chameleon too and it's heartbreaking. He clearly had a good home. You obviously cared for him and you learned from it.
Anderson, I have seen crows, robins, and one time a blue heron over our pond but never a hawk around here in the suburbs. And I haven’t seen her in the last two weeks. I’m not bringing my chams outside ever again. Thank you for your kind words!

Back
Top Bottom