RIP Gilbert

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’m posting this as a cautionary tale, and an admittance of guilt, because I definitely know better. My male ambilobe panther named Gilbert was taken by a red tailed hawk while basking outside on our willow tree.

A few things:
1) I have never seen any hawk near my property
2) I have been putting my chams outside (supervised) for natural light for years now without issue
3) I was mowing the lawn while Gilbert was in the tree so I was within line of sight when it happened.
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

I didn’t actually see it happen. Gilbert was in the tree for maybe 15 minutes as I mowed back and forth along the property. I have a fenced in yard and there is no way he ran away. The dogs were not outside and yep, I saw the hawk flying away. Gilbert was an angel…so sweet and gentle with handling. He seemed to genuinely enjoy it or at the very least, he was neutral about it. He did not like having his photo taken!

I have noticed the hawk flying around the property ever since and my wife said it flew down right over her head, between ours and the neighbors’ house. Clearly this thing is casing the area looking for another chameleon. It’s huge and looks to be a female.

If you’re bringing your chameleon outside, and putting it in a tree or bush…don’t leave it! Don’t walk to the other side of your yard or expect you will see something approaching before something bad happens. A hawk can spot prey from a mile away and a panther chameleon, with its bright colors, sticks out like a neon sign that says eat me. I’m still sick to my stomach thinking about it. Anyway…there it is and I hope this post saves a cham.

Attachments

• CC7A8230-68F1-414D-81C1-8ADAFAC48FCD.jpeg
    CC7A8230-68F1-414D-81C1-8ADAFAC48FCD.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I’m posting this as a cautionary tale, and an admittance of guilt, because I definitely know better. My male ambilobe panther named Gilbert was taken by a red tailed hawk while basking outside on our willow tree.

A few things:
2) I have been putting my chams outside (supervised) for natural light for years now without issue
3) I was mowing the lawn while Gilbert was in the tree so I was within line of sight when it happened.
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

I didn’t actually see it happen. Gilbert was in the tree for maybe 15 minutes as I mowed back and forth along the property. I have a fenced in yard and there is no way he ran away. The dogs were not outside and yep, I saw the hawk flying away. Gilbert was an angel…so sweet and gentle with handling. He seemed to genuinely enjoy it or at the very least, he was neutral about it. I have noticed the hawk flying around the property ever since and my wife said it flew down right over her head, between ours and the neighbors’ house. It’s huge and looks to be a female.

If you’re bringing your chameleon outside, and putting it in a tree or bush…don’t leave it! Don’t walk to the other side of your yard or expect you will see something approaching before something bad happens. A hawk can spot prey from a mile away and a panther chameleon, with its bright colors, sticks out like a neon sign that says eat me. I’m still sick to my stomach thinking about it. Anyway…there it is and I hope this post saves a cham.
I’m so very sorry😢 💔

A few things:
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

I didn’t actually see it happen. Gilbert was in the tree for maybe 15 minutes as I mowed back and forth along the property. I have a fenced in yard and there is no way he ran away. The dogs were not outside and yep, I saw the hawk flying away. Gilbert was an angel…so sweet and gentle with handling. He seemed to genuinely enjoy it or at the very least, he was neutral about it. I have noticed the hawk flying around the property ever since and my wife said it flew down right over her head, between ours and the neighbors’ house. It’s huge and looks to be a female.

I'm so sorry for yall 😔

A few things:
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

I didn’t actually see it happen. Gilbert was in the tree for maybe 15 minutes as I mowed back and forth along the property. I have a fenced in yard and there is no way he ran away. The dogs were not outside and yep, I saw the hawk flying away. Gilbert was an angel…so sweet and gentle with handling. He seemed to genuinely enjoy it or at the very least, he was neutral about it. He did not like having his photo taken!

I have noticed the hawk flying around the property ever since and my wife said it flew down right over her head, between ours and the neighbors’ house. Clearly this thing is casing the area looking for another chameleon. It’s huge and looks to be a female.

So sad. Such a horrible death. He was a beautiful boy.

A few things:
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

Omgsh I am soooooooo sorry I can't imagine how devastated you must feel. 😪 he was a beautiful boy and had a wonderful home! My prayers are with you/good vibes and all that. RIP little man!

I’ve only ever carried one of my panthers outside in my hands once, otherwise I’ve just put a free range tree next to my screened window but this cements it. I will not be bringing my boy outside unless he’s got some kind of enclosure around him to keep him safe from predators. I am so sorry for your loss 💔

Holy crap I'm so sorry. My heart breaks for you... I've heard cautions about it but never an account of it actually happening. Hopefully you don't feel guilty for too long. I'm so so sorry you had that happen. sending prayers your way and I hope his death was at least swift.

A few things:
4). IT HAPPENED FAST

So very sorry for your loss. I can only imagine your heartbreak.

This is just awful. Its strange the hawk is coming around aggresively afterward. there is a slim possibilty that glibert got dropped and its still hunting him. Like i said its slim, very slim, but i would keep my eye out! So sorry for this to happen to you. What a nightmare!

Another user posted about how upset his cham was when he brought it outside for some natural sunlight. This is the reason why…. they sense their vulnerability. And we wonder why they run! Thank you all for your beautiful thoughts and prayers. I’ll never forget this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom