Weather Pattern Behavorial Changes

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok, so the way Spike has handled his days have drastically changed once the weather turned from summer to 'cold Fall' (temps typically in the 20s-40s here in south jersey). Usually dreary, windy etc. Under these conditions Spike drastically shortened his time roaming his enclosure from 7am - 1pm. (usually in the summer he was out and about until after 3:30pm)

Today, and literally only today the sun is out. It's beautiful (in the 50s), and Spike was just basking (after 1pm!!) under his basking (heat) lamp. This is significant as not only is he still up on the top of his enclosure, but he was even specifically basking. Usually he will traverse the mid section of his enclosure for a little until he gets to his resting area (where he will stay until lights off and sleep there).

Keep in mind that Spike really doesn't even bask directly under his heat lamp much. Hardly ever. He prefers to bask slightly away from it under the UVB light. And he certainly doesn't bask AT ALL after around 12pm or so these days (since it's gotten cold).

So I feel like this behavior is literally due to the outside changes, despite the fact he's inside, in a temperature controlled environment. And to me that's wild, considering how quick this is all happening.

Does anyone have any similar experiences/insight on this? Just thought I'd share what I'm seeing. It really threw me off when I noticed he was basking under heat this late in the day, considering his 'normal' behavior since Fall.
download.jpg

download (1).jpg
download (2).jpg

I think the chams can feel the weather changes before we do. My veiled doesn't stay out much either. Just to warm up a little to eat and to enjoy the food usually after a couple of hours back to his sleeping spot.

I think the chams can feel the weather changes before we do. My veiled doesn't stay out much either. Just to warm up a little to eat and to enjoy the food usually after a couple of hours back to his sleeping spot.
Yeah it's crazy. I mean it's not new to me because he displayed a change in his behavior once it got colder. What I'm surprised about is the fact he's changing his day based on ONE nice day, just like that.

I watch him like a psychotic person all day while I'm at work so it's a big change to me :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
2pm and he's just now getting to his resting spot after exploring 1 end of the enclosure to the other for a bit :ROFLMAO: Nice to see him more active today!

Yep all my guys have slowed down there eating and they’re pretty much monetary in the cages though the schedule has stayed the same and temperatures have dropped outside but not much inside

Attachments

• IMG_9175.jpeg
    IMG_9175.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 20
Yep all my guys have slowed down there eating and they’re pretty much monetary in the cages though the schedule has stayed the same and temperatures have dropped outside but not much inside
Yeah and that makes sense! What threw me off today was the fact that we get ONE nice day (in the 50s, sunny) and Spike almost reverts right back to his summer schedule! It was so odd to see.

My Jackson’s does this every year especially after the time change and the weather starts getting colder and the days are shorter, he heads to his sleeping spot about 3 in the afternoon and goes to sleep between 4 and 5. I used to worry that he was getting sick or something but he’s fine. I don’t worry about it now. I’ve had him for 2 1/2 years and he’s done this the last two winters. He does eventually start staying awake later after he’s gotten used to the change though. We live in Maine so it’s cold here!

Back
Top Bottom