suitable setup for panther cham?

Chamkeeper101

hi,
i currently live in the UK and for that reason i am not able to have a screen mesh cage as the temperature wouldn't be high enough, so i am forced to have a wooden vivarium for my cham. But i know ventilation is a key factor,
for this i am considering to have a ventilated fan system that is regulated by heat would this be suitable?
secondly due to the wooden vivarium i have to have "rangos" heat and UVB source inside of his tank, would this be okay,
i am new to chameleons but i have had many bearded dragons, to maintain temperatures would i turn down the temperature at night to 75 degrees or would i completely turn his heat source off?

Aswell i am planning to spray down my baby cham twice a day but i have been reading and you recommend not to have a substrate, but without a substrate what can i do to maintain the humidity levels for my cham

Thanks for the reply's i am picking him up soon any extra information aside from the care sheet would be useful also.

Hi. I am in the UK and my cham is in a komodo screen cage and I struggle to keep the temp down. What wattage basking bulb are you using? Turn off light and heat at night as cham's are diurnal. For when it's really cold I keep a ceramic heater on a dimmer thermostat which kicks in if temp drops way too low but it rarely goes on as he is in my lounge and only in sub zero temps in winter would the thermostat kick in.
No substrate at all as potentially a breeding ground and the wrong substrate can be ingested by your cham accidently if he hunts down a critter off the floor. If you have a female you will need a laying bin and the care sheets describe this.
I have to say my UVB tube is inside at present and he doesn't climb on it at all.
I spray at least 5 times a day and putting live plants in will raise your humidity. Get a hydrometer to measure the humidity and this will enable you to adjust misting accordingly to keep it at optimum range. Many people get an automated mister. They are quite expensive but something to consider.

hi thanks for the reply & he is a male and i am planning to use a 75 watt heat bulb ? ceramic which would be better? okay i may consider spraying more often and do you use any live dripper plants / do you recommend & i would love to see a photo of your setup if you have one?

cheers

Currently I have a 100 watt komodo bulb in as my 75 one blew. This 100 watt sometimes raises it too much so have just got a 75 again which maintains better. To be honest the ceramic came with him and I haven't needed to use it. They need a basking bulb as it's the light from one that they react to and seek out the warmth. The old owner said he never basked... that was they only used the ceramic heater so I only have it in case of really cold nights. He has a plastic dripper plant but you have to be fastidious with the hygiene of them. I clean mine thoroughly daily including tubing with F10 and replace water twice a day. I rehomed this guy recently so his set up isn't perfect or finished but want him to settle in before I make anymore aesthetic adjustments. He had an old UVB tube in when he came so that's been replaced Nd his supplementation was all wrong. Quite fond of him already so hope he rallies round.

Attachments

• 20160522_180201.jpg
    20160522_180201.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 122
I love the cage I would like to set one up like that, what are the dimensions of you vivarium? And where did you get it from?

As well how do you go around guy loading your live food

Cheers

It came with him and it's 3 foot high 2 1/2 wide and 2 foot deep. He will need a upgrade once settled as a male of his age should be in a 4x2x2. It's a komodo one so you can Google local stockists. The bottom is sealed glass which is great for not allowing the water from mistings leaking out but I mop the floor a few times a day to reduce risk of bacteria and mould forming.
Insects you get from petshops aren't brilliant but sometimes I use them. They are always really thirsty and hungry when you get them. Feed them for at least 24 hrs before you feed them to the cham. They need calcium rich foods like dark greens dandy lion carrots etc.. There are plenty of threads on here. Change wet stuff daily. I also leave a jelly pot in each tub which you can buy from petshops. Little pots for added vitamins minerals and moisture. Gutloading is so important. Then dusting them as you feed them. Daily with just calcium and one a fortnight with calcium and D3 and the other fortnight with a multivitamin. My poor guy was fed calcium with D3 every day till I got him. Instruction from petshop again!!!! Just check what you have already and if you haven't make sure you get some plain calcium which usually you have to get online as petshops rarely sell it as they think calcium and D3 daily is correct grrrr

Hi I think u have the viv screen /glass that I'm currently looking at buying, my girl is in glass with screen top atm and my only concern about not using substrate is the amount of water that will collect at the bottom.
I mist a fair bit and always have excess water to drain of an evening. How would be best to solve this??

Paper towels and lots of them haha. I just keep a roll by the tank and just give excess water a mop up a couple of times a day. It's generally not too bad but I keep it dry anyway as standing water is never a good thing for chams

No absolutely hence why I have substrate of drainage clay balls and moss!!
But obviously when buy new viv i want to be away with substrate, so looking for ideas

I always believed no substrate as cham can grab some on its tongue if he shoots for a bug on the floor. Also it's cleaner and more sanitary with a clean floor. My live plants are potted in organic compost with rocks on the surface to prevent accidental ingestion on the floor

Yeah I understand, my next viv will b different.
If I get thick paper towels or towel, that could be better?

Ur set up looks cool, I currently have a little dripper going but again iv seen those dripper leaves u have which I'm thinking of also getting , also gives place for eccess water to fall

I just use paper towels and throw them as soon as I have dried them. The dripper plant is good and my cham climbs down and drinks stright from it. But you have to remember the water is just recirculated and so every day I remove and clean with F10 and then set it dripping to clean tubes too. Then rinse and rinse and rinse before refilling and replacing in enclosure.

Yes we have f10 wipes we used to disinfect when cleaning. So regarding humidity and temp u don't have a problem with them keeping ur Temps with out them decreasing to much and rapidly? With ur screen vi

No not all. The regular misting and live plants help with the humidity although long term I will get a MISTKING for convenience. If anything the current bulb (100watt) gets it too hot in the evenings so have a 75 to replace it and have the 100 on a dimmer thermostat until it arrives. My set up is kept in an alcove so maybe this helps. There is gaps all around it though

I also have 100 w bulb but struggles to reach day temp and is always on, so thinking of getting 150w . We have no problem with evening temp seems to hold and reduces at 7 till 7.
Day Temps 28 mid tank 21 at night

I'm looking forward to getting new viv. I'm going to follow u if u don't mind as ur UK too?

Where is your enclosure situated. I think mine maintains as in an alcove in lounge so quite sheltered without reducing the ventilation. My basking bulb rarely switched off until it's evening and perhaps the heating is on.

Back
Top Bottom