Husbandry review for male panther

TheMotherChameleon

Established Member
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon 3months

• Handling - Hasn't arrived yet

• Feeding - Dubia Roaches, superworms, hornworms and BSFL gut loaded with fresh apples carrots sweet potato collard greens

• Supplements - ZooMed repticalcium without d3 every feeding. reptivite multivitamin with d3 on the 1st and 15th

• Watering - I have a misting system go on for 4 minutes half hour before lights turn on and half an hour after lights go. out I will have a dripper during the day

• Fecal Description - hasn't arrived yet

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - reptibreeze 24x24x48 screen

• 5.0 T5 HO uvb and a flukers 75 watt heat bulb and fixture. I replace the uvb bulb every six months. any idea how long the heat bulb can go before needing to be replaced?

• Temperature - basking temp: 90 ambient temp: 70

• Humidity - daytime 50% nighttime %70 once I get a fogger I can increase nighttime humidity

• Plants - I have two pothos one zz plant and an umbrella plant once I put them in I will add more to fill in the empty spaces

• Placement - in the far corner of my bedroom if he is in there he can see the door

• Location - California

Current Problem - can I feed him small hornworms when he is only 3 months?

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon 3months

• Handling - Hasn't arrived yet

• Feeding - Dubia Roaches, superworms, hornworms and BSFL gut loaded with fresh apples carrots sweet potato collard greens

• Supplements - ZooMed repticalcium without d3 every feeding. reptivite multivitamin with d3 on the 1st and 15th

• Watering - I have a misting system go on for 4 minutes half hour before lights turn on and half an hour after lights go. out I will have a dripper during the day

• Fecal Description - hasn't arrived yet

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - reptibreeze 24x24x48 screen

• 5.0 T5 HO uvb and a flukers 75 watt heat bulb and fixture. I replace the uvb bulb every six months. any idea how long the heat bulb can go before needing to be replaced?

• Temperature - basking temp: 90 ambient temp: 70

• Humidity - daytime 50% nighttime %70 once I get a fogger I can increase nighttime humidity

• Plants - I have two pothos one zz plant and an umbrella plant once I put them in I will add more to fill in the empty spaces

• Placement - in the far corner of my bedroom if he is in there he can see the door

• Location - California

Current Problem - can I feed him small hornworms when he is only 3 months?
So everything here looks good but temps are far too hot. You want 80 at basking branch where they rise up it will be a few degrees warmer. A 3 month old is going to screen climb the top so fixtures have to be lifted the correct distance.

You can feed tiny hornworms just not the larger ones. small Silkworms would be a good option. They have a slower growth rate then hornworms.

Expand your gutload with more veg. See image.

Post a pic of your set up from the lighting down so we can see if anything stands out. Make sure you have a feeder run for your insects.

chameleon-gutload.jpg

So everything here looks good but temps are far too hot. You want 80 at basking branch where they rise up it will be a few degrees warmer. A 3 month old is going to screen climb the top so fixtures have to be lifted the correct distance.

You can feed tiny hornworms just not the larger ones. small Silkworms would be a good option. They have a slower growth rate then hornworms.

Post a pic of your set up from the lighting down so we can see if anything stands out. Make sure you have a feeder run for your insects.

View attachment 352680
The care sheet says basking of 88-92

View attachment 352680
How far would you have to lift the fixtures because of the screen climbing?

I’m also about to get a new baby panther, 5months old from FramsChams. I’m currently setting up his new home, so I’m following this! He’s going next to my veiled in my office. I’m working on a divider so they can’t see each other

I haven’t put the plants in yet. Any idea how to raise the heat bulb?
You will want to protect your walls from over spray. Corrugated plastic sheets work well for this and are easy to cut.

I have seen people use plant hooks that they mount in the wall that come out like 8 inches to either hang or clip on a heat fixture depending on type. I used an exo terra lamp bracket for mine and just drilled holes in the mounting plate. You do not want the heat on the screen to be too hot. which is why we raise it up.

UVB with a T5Ho fixture and 5.0 UVB bulb... you want to raise this off the top of the cage 4 inches then you need a branch or flexible flukers vine placed 5 inches below the fixture. This way when baby is on the top screen it is still within safe limits and at the vine/branch 5 inches below the screen it is in a 3 UVI.

How far would you have to lift the fixtures because of the screen climbing?
Depends on UVB fixture type and bulb strength. Heat depends on wattage being used. for heat typically with a 60 watt bulb you can raise that 3-4 inches and it will be safe on screen. Gotta hold your hand on the screen. If your hand gets hot then baby could burn.

Depends on UVB fixture type and bulb strength. Heat depends on wattage being used. for heat typically with a 60 watt bulb you can raise that 3-4 inches and it will be safe on screen. Gotta hold your hand on the screen. If your hand gets hot then baby could burn.
Thanks, in case he does screen climb I want to be prepared. I have a zoomed reptisun t5 ho 5.0 uvb hood lamp and a 60watt heat bulb.

Thanks, in case he does screen climb I want to be prepared. I have a zoomed reptisun t5 ho 5.0 uvb hood lamp and a 60watt heat bulb.
Yep so follow the info I gave the OP of the thread... Your distances would be the same. UVB with a T5Ho fixture and 5.0 UVB bulb... you want to raise this off the top of the cage 4 inches then you need a branch or flexible flukers vine placed 5 inches below the fixture. This way when baby is on the top screen it is still within safe limits and at the vine/branch 5 inches below the screen it is in a 3 UVI.

Back
Top Bottom