suggestions?

Mozart

Do you guys suggest building your own cage or buying? just curious because i am in need for a full screen cage and i want to find one that isnt too costly. :confused:

Do you guys suggest building your own cage or buying? just curious because i am in need for a full screen cage and i want to find one that isnt too costly. :confused:

I bought a large screen cage from LLLreptile and love It. Also love the same sized 24x24x48 in. From diycages.com. there right about 100 bucks. Hoj made a gorgeous cage u may have to pm him for the thread or blog I can't find it right now.

I actually just recently built my own full screen enclosure from supplies I bought from walmart. (home depot also has good supplies) but it cost me around $50 or less (Don't remember exact amount) to build a 2x2x4 foot enclosure.. i had messed up on the measurements on one side so its a little lob sided haha.. but if you have the time and patience I would recommend building your own.. could save you a decent amount of money

I bought a large screen cage from LLLreptile and love It. Also love the same sized 24x24x48 in. From diycages.com. there right about 100 bucks. Hoj made a gorgeous cage u may have to pm him for the thread or blog I can't find it right now.
thanks ill look into it :)

I actually just recently built my own full screen enclosure from supplies I bought from walmart. (home depot also has good supplies) but it cost me around $50 or less (Don't remember exact amount) to build a 2x2x4 foot enclosure.. i had messed up on the measurements on one side so its a little lob sided haha.. but if you have the time and patience I would recommend building your own.. could save you a decent amount of money
50 dollars only? :D that's what im talking about. i see all these cages 70 or higher and i honestly dont have money for those right now. and i would like to get my chameleon out of his half glass enclosure soon.

I have learned that when it comes to enclosures, the imagination is the limit. ;)

As long as it provides what the cham needs.

If your handy, and feel comfortable with it, building one is the way to go imo.

A DIYcages or LLL 2x2x4 is definitely worth the money though, they are good cages.

I would only use them indoors though, outside, I say build your own for sure.

If you want to make a standard screen, framed cage, Jdog1027 has an excellent video tutorial: (part one)

If you want to go super cheap, the techniques I use here, could be used to make ANY shape/size cage:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/experimental-enlcosures-pt-1-a-81894/

The deer fencing, and screen would be all you needed(besides some wire cutters, scissors, and pliers), and can be bought in different dimensions. I can find a 72"x50' roll of the deer fencing, for $55, and a 4'x25' roll of screen, for $25. Im not sure how much the smaller sizes/lengths are.

Also, you may want to check out Seeco's "My Methods" threads.

Last edited:
sweet! ill ask my dad if hes up to building one with me, if not, those cages do seem nice and are not very costly :D thanks for the replies!

Building your own cage can be rewarding,but supplies to build it get pricey i built one out of a hutch/small china cabinet and it turned out beautiful but like i said after all the supplies needed i spent a pretty penny on it

If building your own is't something you're comfortable with and you're looking for an inexpensive solution I would go with the Reptarium. Josh's Frogs (and some other sponsors) carry them: http://www.joshsfrogs.com/reptarium-65-gallon.html

They aren't the very best but in my opinion are every bit as effective as an amateur build home made enclosure.

On a side note (Because I like to occasionally complain): who wrote the rule reptile cages have to be clunky and ugly as a rule? I think Exo-Terra is the only one who put any thought towards style in their design and their screen cages are wobbly as heck.

I think Exo-Terra is the only one who put any thought towards style in their design and their screen cages are wobbly as heck.

The first enclosure I ever purchased was one of these.

I like the design as well. It has places to run tubing in, that can be opened or shut. The top opens, the front opens. They build and tear down quick and easy. They look nice, when they are new.

They are almost perfect, except they start falling apart super quick. ;/

My heat lamp totally warped the entire top piece, the spline just stared falling out of place, and in some places, the plastic frame actually snapped.

All of this within 4-5months at the most, under careful use. :mad:

My 2x2x4 DIYcages cage has been literally thrown around, and abused a ton, and its still going strong after 6 months, and 4 moves( one of wich was cross country).

If they could get their act together, they could have some clean enclosures. Until then, I might take a free one, maybe, but would never buy one again.

The first enclosure I ever purchased was one of these.

I like the design as well. It has places to run tubing in, that can be opened or shut. The top opens, the front opens. They build and tear down quick and easy. They look nice, when they are new.

They are almost perfect, except they start falling apart super quick. ;/

My heat lamp totally warped the entire top piece, the spline just stared falling out of place, and in some places, the plastic frame actually snapped.

All of this within 4-5months at the most, under careful use. :mad:

My 2x2x4 DIYcages cage has been literally thrown around, and abused a ton, and its still going strong after 6 months, and 4 moves( one of wich was cross country).

If they could get their act together, they could have some clean enclosures. Until then, I might take a free one, maybe, but would never buy one again.

Hey you get what you pay for!

I only recommended them because I've heard of people using them for a couple of years before they fall apart and how inexpensive they are for the size. They do say you can put a heat lamp on the top I suppose that isn't 100% true! I would still buy one in a pinch for a temporary enclosure because they store easily when not needed and to raise moths / butterflies in.

The only issue I have with most enclosures including the DIY ones is they are not aesthetically pleasing. I sure wish they made enclusures with more of an eye towards appearance.

I have learned that when it comes to enclosures, the imagination is the limit. ;)

As long as it provides what the cham needs.

If your handy, and feel comfortable with it, building one is the way to go imo.

A DIYcages or LLL 2x2x4 is definitely worth the money though, they are good cages.

I would only use them indoors though, outside, I say build your own for sure.

If you want to make a standard screen, framed cage, Jdog1027 has an excellent video tutorial: (part one)

If you want to go super cheap, the techniques I use here, could be used to make ANY shape/size cage:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/experimental-enlcosures-pt-1-a-81894/

The deer fencing, and screen would be all you needed(besides some wire cutters, scissors, and pliers), and can be bought in different dimensions. I can find a 72"x50' roll of the deer fencing, for $55, and a 4'x25' roll of screen, for $25. Im not sure how much the smaller sizes/lengths are.

Also, you may want to check out Seeco's "My Methods" threads.

Argh !! This is why I hate night shift !! Finally , a question that I feel comfortable answering and you beat me to it ... lmao . I was gonna suggest Jdogs video's too *sigh*

Hey you get what you pay for!

I only recommended them because I've heard of people using them for a couple of years before they fall apart and how inexpensive they are for the size. They do say you can put a heat lamp on the top I suppose that isn't 100% true! I would still buy one in a pinch for a temporary enclosure because they store easily when not needed and to raise moths / butterflies in.

The only issue I have with most enclosures including the DIY ones is they are not aesthetically pleasing. I sure wish they made enclusures with more of an eye towards appearance.

I payed around $80 for mine I believe. Its a 24x18x24. A quick search showed them going for over $100! :eek:

I still have mine. I have "repaired" it as much as possible, and actually wind up using it often for temporary housing of wc animals(that I observe and release) or holding grasshoppers of mantids. I couldnt get away with using it as permanent housing though. Any heat for any length of time, would do it iin Im afraid. The whole things a bit warped at this point, so its not very ascetically pleasing atm either. :p

If they would make the framing out of metal, or a more durable plastic even, it would be a great product.

I built my own about 9 years ago with my son (six years old back then) for my juvi bearded dragon. He has passed away a couple of month ago. Well, his old cage i am using now for new baby veiled. All i had to do is turn it on the side to create vertical space. It's 4'x2'x2' screened cage and it's as good as new. Nothing warped or torn. Hope it helps and have fun.

Im making my cage on friday for my new cham. And the overall price was exactly 49$. I got it all at home hardware, but they also have it at home depot and lowe's. It is wood framed with aluminum screen. I may post pics of us building it.:D

well i built my own but i kinda went over board a bit but oh well, with that said i would say it really all depends on how picky you are about how it looks if you just want a straight forward 24x24x48 then tbh you can do that for probably like 50 $ if that if you shop smart. also if u decide to stain and seal then the cost gonna go up a hefty chunk. i can attempt to go into more detail if you like

anyone want to list off some the supplies they used? maybe to get an idea, the video that's posted here seems like he used a lot of stuff and it looked like it costed more than 50$ did you guys use less things? or just on sale items?

6 non treated 2x4x8 and like 30 linear feet of aluminum screen/pet screen some screws you can shop around to price it yourself and price an extra board or to for mistakes that can happen

Back
Top Bottom