Substrate

Mark

hey guys I was wondering what kind of substrate u have because my crickets always burrow when I loose them

No substrate is always the best option. It just opens the door to impaction and bacterial infection. You should get rid of yours if the crickets are burrowing in it.

Depends. No substrate if it is your average screen enclosure, like a ReptiBreeze, but there is bioactive as well, but that gets complicated. Please post a picture of the enclosure.

I don’t know how to keep the moisture up because the substrate helps. I have a digger and I spray him. I also have a humidifier and that can help a bit
Idk on what else to do

03CFA215-0E8D-45DB-8C55-3AB0FAB2313B.jpeg
FC2BD4A7-5773-4160-B0ED-C21A48CB0512.jpeg
DF2D5459-8296-4D02-A3F4-D5503E531B1F.jpeg
FC2BD4A7-5773-4160-B0ED-C21A48CB0512.jpeg

You should have a lot more foliage in there, that is probably why you are struggling to keep humidity. That substrate looks like an impaction risk. Check out FLChams safe plant list, and get some live plants, but repot them first with soil without fertilizers, etc. Get rid of the red lights, they are unnatural, and replace them with a standard white incandescent light. Is that a linear UVB?

Impaction please... some of the most experienced keepers from Arcadia and others in the chameleon world use substrate successfully. You just need to know what to use. I never have to clean my cages and have yet to see or hear about an impaction that wasn't due to an illness or husbandry related flaw. As for everything else, do what @CJ's Exotics said. One thing though, I find the reptibreeze to be perfect for 'bioactive' substrate. A lot of tubs and flower pots fit snug beneath them.

Impaction please... some of the most experienced keepers from Arcadia and others in the chameleon world use substrate successfully. You just need to know what to use. I never have to clean my cages and have yet to see or hear about an impaction that wasn't due to an illness or husbandry related flaw. As for everything else, do what @CJ's Exotics said. One thing though, I find the reptibreeze to be perfect for 'bioactive' substrate. A lot of tubs and flower pots fit snug beneath them.
A lot of the general substrates we use, such as coco fiber, are very unnatural to a chameleon, and that is why they can get impacted so easily. If you want to go bioactive, you will definitely have to do your research, but not all substrates will cause impaction easily, like @jamest0o0 said. There are 2 good podcasts on the Chameleon Breeder Podcast about bioactive setups, but definitely do your research, also on microfauna.

Live plants themselves raise humidity along with their soil. The soil will stay damp after watering and significantly raise the humidity levels. Or you could use an actual warm mist humidifier because that is a surefire way to get the humidity up to the desired levels. For substrate, I recommend using paper towels that you can change out every day or so. That way the bottom of the enclosure does not get soiled and you can always have a clean cage. Just my perspective on the subject.

Bioactive is by far the best way to go. Look up the biodude on YouTube. He has an episode on making a bioactive setup in a reptibreeze. His website sells everything you would ever need. As far as impaction goes, it sounds like most cases occur when an animal already is suffering from another medical or husbandry problem.

Or should I get Tera Firma from biodide
If you’re going to try bioactive, there’s a learning curve. For the time being, remove your substrate and put in lots of live plants. Take your time and research bioactive enclosures, there is a lot to maintaining them successfully. A lot more to it than just a bag of dirt. You need a drainage layer, cleanup crew, and biodegradables just to name a few. Once you understand how it all works, you can create a beautiful natural environment the requires minimal cleaning, and provides a safe place for your chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom