Stunning Giant Fischer's, Dresden!

Also, after the addition of water to the vermiculite at about 6 months, no other water was added. Last incubation, (of 14 months,)
I employed a "spring-like" boost in humidity by adding water at month 11. At the time, I believed it began final stages of incubation and hatching. I am not so sure that it did that now I have seen a 12 month incubation without the additional humidity.

As of now, 2 babies are out and doing well.Their eggs were on the surface of the medium, buried halfway. There are 4 eggs sweating, one has pipped but has not emerged, and the rest are just unchanged. I have observed a proximity effect for sweating and it should also be noted that the eggs were incubated as close to as they were laid as possible. In other words, in one big clump. Lastly, I hope someone someday can benefit from the information I have strewn across this forum regarding this species.:eek:

Last edited:
Lastly, I hope someone someday can benefit from the information I have strewn across this forum regarding this species.:eek:

Ya I hope the species survives on this earth long enough for someone to build upon your progress :(

Thanks for the info. I would love to get a second incubator and with K multituberculata just use higher temps like 75 to see what happens.

8b96d60d.jpg

7244d563.jpg

Dresden's babies are now 6 months old and juvenile size. They are for sale so give me a PM if you're interested.

Dear Chad,

I have been reading all of your posts off your adventures with K. Mats and there is one thing that i did not find.....

What is your thoughts on supplements?
Personally, with Quads, I've rarely given supplements and just gutload as best as I can.
Do you feel that K. Mats need supplements as babies or adults? Or is it best to just dust once in a blue moon?

(Omg, i can't wait til I get my babies from you!!!)

Harry

Dear Chad,

I have been reading all of your posts off your adventures with K. Mats and there is one thing that i did not find.....

What is your thoughts on supplements?
Personally, with Quads, I've rarely given supplements and just gutload as best as I can.
Do you feel that K. Mats need supplements as babies or adults? Or is it best to just dust once in a blue moon?

(Omg, i can't wait til I get my babies from you!!!)

Harry

Harry! I'm so sorry that I didn't reply till now!

Supplementing is difficult because beyond nasal discharges or sudden death, you have not idea if what you're providing is on par or not. That being said, I have seen most species do fine with a calcium w/out D3 dusting every feeding.

The first clutch of K. mats I raised with one dusting of calcium w/out D3 and one with vits/mins 1 x wk and they grew horribly slow. The second clutch I tried dusting more often and they grew somewhat faster.

Now, I am currently dusting with calcium w/out D3 3 x wk, calcium w/D3 2 x wk, vits/mins 4 x wk, and 1 day with no dusting. This is strictly for babies and early juveniles.

All my adults get vits/mins 1 x month, calcium w/out D3 2 x wk, calcium w/D3 1 x wk, and all other feedings no dusting. The schedule for adults has changed and I know that successful reproduction does happen with about half of the above...because that's what I used to use!

I still do believe that montanes are more sensitive to supplementation but much less so than some on this forum may scare you into thinking. Quads, Jacksonii, Multis, and Hoes probably do better with slightly less than what I do. I hope this helps some others out there.

Harry! I'm so sorry that I didn't reply till now!

Supplementing is difficult because beyond nasal discharges or sudden death, you have not idea if what you're providing is on par or not. That being said, I have seen most species do fine with a calcium w/out D3 dusting every feeding.

The first clutch of K. mats I raised with one dusting of calcium w/out D3 and one with vits/mins 1 x wk and they grew horribly slow. The second clutch I tried dusting more often and they grew somewhat faster.

Now, I am currently dusting with calcium w/out D3 3 x wk, calcium w/D3 2 x wk, vits/mins 4 x wk, and 1 day with no dusting. This is strictly for babies and early juveniles.

All my adults get vits/mins 1 x month, calcium w/out D3 2 x wk, calcium w/D3 1 x wk, and all other feedings no dusting. The schedule for adults has changed and I know that successful reproduction does happen with about half of the above...because that's what I used to use!

I still do believe that montanes are more sensitive to supplementation but much less so than some on this forum may scare you into thinking. Quads, Jacksonii, Multis, and Hoes probably do better with slightly less than what I do. I hope this helps some others out there.

Maybe I will up my supplementing a tad. Definitely no where near your schedule!! Mine are growing horribly slow but so did my tavs and the one male I kept ended up being a full grown stud so it doesnt bother me too much that they are growing slow. They are definitely growing faster now that they have some size to them though. Such an awesome species!

Maybe I will up my supplementing a tad. Definitely no where near your schedule!! Mine are growing horribly slow but so did my tavs and the one male I kept ended up being a full grown stud so it doesnt bother me too much that they are growing slow. They are definitely growing faster now that they have some size to them though. Such an awesome species!

I am doing similar to Chad but 4-5days a week of Calc +. So far I have been having good results.

Loleza 21g on 7-19 And 39.7g on 9-3
Meru 3.8g on 7-19 and 6.1g on 9-3

So they are coming along:D

Hi Chad! Any new pictures of the little ones? How's Dresden doing?

Sadly, we lost Dresden in a backyard accident. He was by far and away the most beautiful Giant Fischer's I've ever seen and I hadn't taken too many pics of him.

Dresden's babies are doing great. I haven't lost one! I have some pics I gotta track down...for now enjoy another Dresden shot!

3e9ce3c9.jpg

Chad, I too am sorry that I have not been more available.
I've been sick, but thank you for giving me a better idea of how you supplement.

The babies are doing awesome.

Harry

Sadly, we lost Dresden in a backyard accident. He was by far and away the most beautiful Giant Fischer's I've ever seen and I hadn't taken too many pics of him.

Dresden's babies are doing great. I haven't lost one! I have some pics I gotta track down...for now enjoy another Dresden shot!

Chad, I'm so sorry to hear about Dresden:( What a loss to your breeding colony.

BTW, Jumanji is just like his Daddy, loves to hand feed dubias!

Chad, I'm very sorry to hear about Dresden. He was one amazing looking animal. I'm glad to hear that all of his kids are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom