Storm Preparations... What You Need to do for Your Pets...

Of course, in colder months it is a good idea to have either a camp stove or barbecue that can be used to heat water and a Hot Water Bottle that can be filled and placed into an enclosure to help warm the air. Others have used heat packs to help with raising temps. Both methods must be done with care not to burn the animal of course.

The other option that I have heard for temporary solution of a few days is to simply black out (using a blanket or towels) the enclosure and allow the animal to just ride out the time in the dark. They will be inactive and can be that way for days at a time with no harm. My advice here is to unplug everything just in case power comes back on. You don't need to have a fire on top of everything else going on.

I'm just looking for advice on this, but wouldn't it be bad to keep a chameleon in the dark for several days? This would at least make me nervous beyond belief. I imagine it would confuse the heck out of the chameleon too.

If it's an emergency, and you have no other options, a few days in the dark aren't the worst thing in the world for a chameleon. Again, this is a last resort, but if you have had a bad storm and lost power, and have no way to safely have your chameleon basking in the sunlight then that's what you could do.

It would be a good idea to have your pet's vet information available in case you need to contact them. I would also suggest that this information be kept with your pet (in enclosure) during any evacuations just in case you get separated from them. There is at least a chance that someone will contact the vet and you may be reunited with them. Also, I would have a recent photo of your pet on you in case you need to show proof of ownership.
That's an excellent idea! You could print up the information on a stiff piece of cardstock and then have it heavily laminated so you don't have to worry about it getting wet or soiled. It will just rinse out wipe off.

I’ve ghosted this thread for a while holding my tongue. Many of you are either overthinking this or assuming your animals are snowflakes and going to melt without 24/7 attention.

Now granted, depending on the conditions where you live, things could go downhill fast. Those conditions being extreme heat or cold. You have to know how to handle those extremes.

As for a disaster:

One jug of distilled water and a 3cc syringe is all any cham keeper needs. Offer the animal drops from that twice a day. None of this “my little pookie wont drink from my hand” crap. The most pissy cham will drink if it is THAT badly in need of water and that jug will be more than enough for the duration.

Temps are the real issue. If they get too hot like in CA, you could be up the creek. So think on that. Cold air sinks, if I have access to cold packs I just put one or two on top of the cage and let the cold air sink. The cham will find a comfortable spot

The cold can be fixed by having heat packs on hand. Heat rises. You cover the top of the cage with a towel and put a few heat packs at the bottom. The top area warms up a bit that way. Temps in the 60’s will suffice for many species for a short time

So what if there's no UV for a week? Won’t hurt em. Try some natural sunlight if you can. If you can’t, well, they can see by the same candle you are using if its that dark in your situation

A big issue most don’t address is having a simple plastic container ready to transport your animal with. In a pinch I can pack my animals up and get out in record time

- and you know what? My Parsons will be just fine on a branch in a big ventilated plastic storage bin as long as I make sure they don’t overheat. They don’t need the huge fancy habitat, they need an owner who understands their basic needs.

Hopefully everybody in FL is ok. When the trees snap the chameleons go with em proverbially speaking

Last edited:
I just commented on another thread about this! The day after i got my 6 week old veiled we had a huge earthquake in Alaska and lost power for hours.
I had already been trying to warm his enclosure so had towels hanging on 3 sides of it. So i added a 4th, and made sure there was air flow but also that it didnt get too cold.
Was fully prepared to put him in a smaller bin and take him to my car to warm up, i think thats when i joined this site :) i asked for advice and everyone was really helpful :love:
This thread is a GREAT IDEA!

Hi guys in the event of an earthquake does anyone have anything in place to secure the enclosure? We recently got a little rumble here in northern CA. I am concerned about the cage falling or lighting etc in the event we were to get a large one... Do you do anything special for your enclosures and lighting?

Hi guys in the event of an earthquake does anyone have anything in place to secure the enclosure? We recently got a little rumble here in northern CA. I am concerned about the cage falling or lighting etc in the event we were to get a large one... Do you do anything special for your enclosures and lighting?

You could secure it to a wall behind the enclosure, but I'm not sure if it would actually help.

Usually, for me I get a portable enclosure and I always order 2x the amount of bugs when a storm in on its way. It's good to try and produce heat with heat packs if you have them or naked flame. Don't worry I don't hurt my chameleon with fire, I make sure there is a guard in place.

There was a period where we had a lot of bad weather and tornados. I got a cardboard box with dividers for my guinea pigs (I no longer have them) and for my two leopard geckos. As well as had some pet supplies in the safe room.

Back
Top Bottom