What Do I Do If Power Goes Out... During A Snow Storm.

Jokeya

Hello! I own a 8 month old male veiled chameleon. (For the longest time I thought he was a female, but nope!) Anyway, I live in Texas, and for the first time in ages, we have a large snow storm with almost blizzard like conditions coming toward us on Sunday. Of course, it has been said that power might go out. I don't have a generator nor any heaters that don't require electricity. And if power goes out, it will get absolutely freezing. What in the world do I do to keep my chameleon at least a little warm?

Well hopefully it will not drop lower then low 40's. @jamest0o0 may have some suggestions.
I hope so. They've already said that it'll possibly get below 0 outside, but I really do hope the temperature inside the house stays relatively high. Thank you for the recommendation! I'll see if I can get ahold of him.

I hope so. They've already said that it'll possibly get below 0 outside, but I really do hope the temperature inside the house stays relatively high. Thank you for the recommendation! I'll see if I can get ahold of him.
So how good are your windows in the room? You can do things like use the duct window film on the windows to try to help keep in the heat. I have 4 windows in the chams room and this is what I have the most issue with when we loose power. All my heat goes right out.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/storm-preparations-what-you-need-to-do-for-your-pets.165762/

Some ideas in this thread, but your house usually won’t get as cold as outside. You could do a hot water bottle in the enclosure and cover the cage with blankets to help raise temps for a bit but would have to replace it often.
the office hug GIF by EditingAndLayout

So how good are your windows in the room? You can do things like use the duct window film on the windows to try to help keep in the heat. I have 4 windows in the chams room and this is what I have the most issue with when we loose power. All my heat goes right out.
Thankfully, I only have one window in his room. I'll definitely make sure of that!

I honestly don't think a power outage would do much damage. Power is usually out for at most only a few hours, so I think you should be fine.

Worst case scenario, and the off chance you lose power for a very long time, I would move him to the warmest spot in the house (higher elevation, could be the top floor or the center of the house) and put a blanket over his enclosure. The same preparations you do for yourself would apply to the cham, plenty of water, food, ect.

I honestly don't think a power outage would do much damage. Power is usually out for at most only a few hours, so I think you should be fine.

Worst case scenario, and the off chance you lose power for a very long time, I would move him to the warmest spot in the house (higher elevation, could be the top floor or the center of the house) and put a blanket over his enclosure. The same preparations you do for yourself would apply to the cham, plenty of water, food, ect.
In Texas, at least Houston anyway, it can be anywhere from hours to weeks to restore power lines. Everything has actually shutdown here, so I doubt the power company will fix any power in a timely manner.

In Texas, at least Houston anyway, it can be anywhere from hours to weeks to restore power lines. Everything has actually shutdown here, so I doubt the power company will fix any power in a timely manner.
That's insane. I've lived in TX my whole life,in the Dallas area tho. I move now for work every few years and don't live there anymore but it's crazy to see all the crazy things happening after I move away. I remember being a kid wishing it would snow so I could stay home from school. Hahaha 🤣🤣

I hope everyone stays safe!! 😊😊

Weeks is a bit of a stretch unless a hurricane hits. A freeze, not likely to be more than a day or so I’d imagine at the most. More likely just a few hours max.

Weeks is a bit of a stretch unless a hurricane hits. A freeze, not likely to be more than a day or so I’d imagine at the most. More likely just a few hours max.
Not in my neighborhood, it took a week an a half to fix just one power line that was taken out with a regular thunderstorm. It took 2-3 weeks for other parts of our neighborhood to get back power, too. It’s also going to be a major ice storm with no conditions to drive or work outside in, as well as blizzards in other parts of the state.

Last edited:
That's insane. I've lived in TX my whole life,in the Dallas area tho. I move now for work every few years and don't live there anymore but it's crazy to see all the crazy things happening after I move away. I remember being a kid wishing it would snow so I could stay home from school. Hahaha 🤣🤣

I hope everyone stays safe!! 😊😊
Yes, I feel horrible for the homeless population and people who can’t afford food or heat due to COVID-19!

Not in my neighborhood, it took a week an a half to fix just one power line that was taken out with a regular thunderstorm. It took 2-3 weeks for other parts of our neighborhood to get back power, too. It’s also going to be a major ice storm with no conditions to drive or work outside in, as well as blizzards in other parts of the state.
Don’t envy whatever part of town you live in heh. But this is south TX and a generator is a must have piece of equipment IMO. I’d have been all over my power company pretty much hourly for crap like that.

and I’m aware of the storm bud, I’m 2 hours south of Houston.

Don’t envy whatever part of town you live in heh. But this is south TX and a generator is a must have piece of equipment IMO. I’d have been all over my power company pretty much hourly for crap like that.

and I’m aware of the storm bud, I’m 2 hours south of Houston.
Trust me, everyone in our neighborhood was calling so much that we couldn’t even get patched in to make a complaint! We currently don’t have a generator but a gas fireplace and stove, so hopefully be alright for this one! It would cost $10,000 for a generator for our house, which we don’t have right now.

I have family in Houston. If your electric company is anything like your highway designers... you’re in trouble!! Jk...

Deca mentioned hot water bottles, and thats actually an excellent way to raise temps a bit. Greenhouse growers do so with sealed water drums in order to slowly release the heat and energy. If you dont habe a gas stove, though, that may not help much. If you DO have a gas stove, dont run it to heat your house... we’ve had some tragedies in Baltimore from people doing that in winter.
I’d hang a blanket over the window if you can, because that is where the cold air will come in. The insulation in your home
Will help keep the cold out and heat in if you block the drafty doors and windows.
If you are looking for a generator, make sure you run it OUTSIDE the house, or get a solar generator. I have a few Goal Zero Yetis and love them. Running a heater will use up too much energy ok a yeti, though, but you could run the heat lamp.

Another trick the greenhouse growers will sometimes use is to take a terra-cotta pot and place it over a small tea light candle. The drainage hole will allow the candle to vent and breathe, and the candles will produce a little heat which the tera cotta disperses. Make sure the candles are on a surface that won't burn, like a terra cotta saucer.

Back
Top Bottom