Storm Preparations... What You Need to do for Your Pets...

Of course, in colder months it is a good idea to have either a camp stove or barbecue that can be used to heat water and a Hot Water Bottle that can be filled and placed into an enclosure to help warm the air. Others have used heat packs to help with raising temps. Both methods must be done with care not to burn the animal of course.

The other option that I have heard for temporary solution of a few days is to simply black out (using a blanket or towels) the enclosure and allow the animal to just ride out the time in the dark. They will be inactive and can be that way for days at a time with no harm. My advice here is to unplug everything just in case power comes back on. You don't need to have a fire on top of everything else going on.
Is it by any chance okay to use an oil lamp with Kerosene or Paraffin for light and potentially heat around a chameleon if you have good ventilation?

I can’t have a generator in my apartment but my mother has a gas stove in her mobile home so I can make hot water bottles there. I would probably go to her house in the case of a prolonged outage. I need to get a small emergency butterfly cage but I would transport him in a small box with a stick.

Seems like preparations may need to consider “long term” issues as well. Not a statement on climate change or anything, but let’s face it, anything can happen. If I needed to leave my home long term, would I be prepared? Probably not. I wonder what can be done for these situations…

Any thoughts???

What about a support system of those close by that are still able to get supplies and feeders, could be feasible…

It would be a good idea to have your pet's vet information available in case you need to contact them. I would also suggest that this information be kept with your pet (in enclosure) during any evacuations just in case you get separated from them. There is at least a chance that someone will contact the vet and you may be reunited with them. Also, I would have a recent photo of your pet on you in case you need to show proof of ownership.
There are so many good ideas here. As a newbie, I'll give my two cents.

As a former boy scout (40 years ago) we learned humans can live 60 days without food, but 3 days without water. I know we're not chameleons but ... stock up on the poland water.

Each year we go on vacation about two times each, and we bring the jackasses, I mean Lenny and Squiggy (veiled) with us. It's not a big deal, going from NH to Cape Cod, but it's obviously still a shock to my coneheads. They live in 24x24x48's at home (free range twice a week), but we bought 30x18x18's that I assemble for them at our destination. I assemble the cages (well apart from each other), and if we leave the doors open, they crawl in about 15 minutes and end on top of curtain rod somewhere. That said.....

Make sure YOU are safe. You can't help them unless you are OK.

Help them regulate, mist them with some water, and you should be fine for a week or so.

We’re supposed to get a lot of cold snowy weather this year so I just ordered a box of 90 hot hands hand warmers just in case We loose power. I know my Jackson’s can live without a heat lamp for a few days but I worry about temps in my apartment getting below 50 degrees. I figure I can keep Eustis and his bugs warm with the hand warmers. If worse comes to worse I can place Eustis in a box with a stick stuck through it and put one of the hand warmers near it to keep him some what warm. I just have to be careful it doesn’t get to warm.

Back
Top Bottom