Stop supporting petco/petsmart

KobaOregonherper

Chameleon Enthusiast
20190618_173329.jpg

I've been following this female and the her male counter part at my nearby petco since before I got Koba. Last week the male died and walked in there today to grab a few crickets and this what I ran into. Shes not blinking, her eyes are closed, shes gravid with no way of laying those eggs in any normal fashion and her only meal for the last 3 months have been meal worms with zero calcium, shes also been showing signs of MBD, but the very early stages. I'm tempted to see if I can get her for free to rehabilitate her, but pro ably not going to happen. Anyway, This will be my last cricket buy from these stores. I'm usually not the extremist type, but this is animal abuse. If it were puppies they'd be getting sued.

See this all the time at PetCo and PetSmart. I was at PetCo a couple weeks ago seen a beautiful baby translucent veiled chameleon on the bottom of his enclosure eating mouth fulls of substrate. The feeder dish had nothing but dead crickets and mealworms in it. And one branch in the enclosure. Haven’t been there since but I’m sure it never ends well with these chameleons at these big box stores. They either die at the store or they sell it to someone and hopefully they can take the proper care of it. They also use red bulbs in all their reptile enclosures too. At least at my petco and PetSmart they do. Just so many WRONGS.

View attachment 236525

I've been following this female and the her male counter part at my nearby petco since before I got Koba. Last week the male died and walked in there today to grab a few crickets and this what I ran into. Shes not blinking, her eyes are closed, shes gravid with no way of laying those eggs in any normal fashion and her only meal for the last 3 months have been meal worms with zero calcium, shes also been showing signs of MBD, but the very early stages. I'm tempted to see if I can get her for free to rehabilitate her, but pro ably not going to happen. Anyway, This will be my last cricket buy from these stores. I'm usually not the extremist type, but this is animal abuse. If it were puppies they'd be getting sued.

That's heart breaking... people need to be educated regarding the care of these guys. :( That's pretty much the exact sort of shape I got Lily in, though she had a much better diet and general set up at least!!

I've long since stopped going to big box stores. It's genuinely depressing, and I've fought with the managers of my local PetSmart for years with limited to no progress, and now take my business and energy elsewhere and tell everyone else I know to do the same.

Yeah, I only order dog food online from them, though I've been thinking of switching to Chewy. I was talking to Jox the other day; I've stopped going to PetSmart all together because of their policies surrounding PitBull-type dogs and only shop at PetCo, but recently I've found that my local PetSmarts (I have two, one right nextdoor to work and one right nextdoor to home) havent had any sort of chams whereas PetCo has multiple in one enclosure. So I've been so torn.

Yeah, I only order dog food online from them, though I've been thinking of switching to Chewy. I was talking to Jox the other day; I've stopped going to PetSmart all together because of their policies surrounding PitBull-type dogs and only shop at PetCo, but recently I've found that my local PetSmarts (I have two, one right nextdoor to work and one right nextdoor to home) havent had any sort of chams whereas PetCo has multiple in one enclosure. So I've been so torn.

What's their policy towards pit bulls?

Not allowed because they are “aggressive” :rolleyes:

From what I've seen pitbulls are inherently energetic and friendly dogs, but I can somewhat see the concern. It's not unheard of for a dog to run up to another dog. If someone walks in with a Pit and is too weak to restrain it, some one else or their dog could get hurt, and then they have a lawsuit on their hands.

The thing with pits is they aren’t dogs for just anyone. They are extremely hard head and will battle you for alpha throw out life. My pit that I miss dearly was the biggest softy ever, I did have to check him once and awhile so he remembered who alpha was but they are such loving and miss understanding dogs. With the right training and right owner the pit do amazing. I only seen him get aggressive once and it was because someone was hiding behind a bush.

Last edited:
And I'd say about 95% of the people that have pitbulls, shouldn't have any animals at all. At least around here... constantly beating them for any little thing.
I agree it’s mostly the owners fault and give pit bulls a bad name because the environment the owner keeps and treats them in and causes them to get agressive and mean. I will say though my friend back in high school had a pit treated it really well had a good home and out of the blue just ate his face off. Had to get his stitches all over his face and nose it was pretty bad. He had to spend a night or 2 in the hospital.

The think with pits is they aren’t dogs for just anyone. They are extremely hard head and will battle you for alpha throw out life. My pit that I miss dearly was the biggest softy ever, I did have to check him once and awhile so he remembered who alpha was but they are such loving and miss understanding dogs. With the right train and right owner the pit do amazing. I only seen him get aggressive once and it was because someone was hiding behind a bush.

I completely agree, the pits I've seen with good owners were the biggest sweethearts of dogs lol. It's just in a public place like a store, they aren't able to only allow the well trained ones in.

I agree it’s mostly the owners fault and give pit bulls a bad name because the environment the owner keeps and treats them in and causes them to get agressive and mean. I will say though my friend back in high school had a pit treated it really well had a good home and out of the blue just ate his face off. Had to get his stitches all over his face and nose it was pretty bad. He had to spend a night or 2 in the hospital.

That's crazy, I've known dogs to snap while they're sleeping. Probably from being confused, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Btw hello fellow pittsburgher!

If it makes you feel better, iguanas are just like pits. They can be big ole softies that you can had off supervised to 8 year olds. Then out of the blue they can just snap, and can return back to normal within minutes. But during that time, you are getting stitches or worse. With iguanas you may just be reaching your hand into the cage to get an object to clean, and it will clamp onto a finger or two, and death roll them right off. You have some hope if it doesnt swallow them...

Though in all fairness, per pound, i would say the most painful is still a chameleon chomp. I know several vets where the joke is "veileds have a handle on their heads for a certain occasion".

Back
Top Bottom