Stop supporting petco/petsmart

That's crazy, I've known dogs to snap while they're sleeping. Probably from being confused, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Btw hello fellow pittsburgher!
Yeah I saw that nice to have local chameleon YINZER close by lol. Thats what happened he got too close in the dogs face for its comfort I guess and didn’t like it. He always would sleep with it. It was a very good dog when I was at his house never showed any aggression towards me or other friends that came to the house. So it’s not really the dogs fault I’d say since he got to close to the dogs face and I know some dogs don’t like that. It still was very unexpected.

Yeah I saw that nice to have local chameleon YINZER close by lol. Thats what happened he got too close in the dogs face for its comfort I guess and didn’t like it. He always would sleep with it. It was a very good dog when I was at his house never showed any aggression towards me or other friends that came to the house. So it’s not really the dogs fault I’d say since he got to close to the dogs face and I know some dogs don’t like that. It still was very unexpected.

Yeah I guess any animal has a level of unpredictability. I think sometimes dogs just get confused at night, even our nice little shitzu would go crazy if he was woken up.

Finally someone that knows what a yinzer is!

If it makes you feel better, iguanas are just like pits. They can be big ole softies that you can had off supervised to 8 year olds. Then out of the blue they can just snap, and can return back to normal within minutes. But during that time, you are getting stitches or worse. With iguanas you may just be reaching your hand into the cage to get an object to clean, and it will clamp onto a finger or two, and death roll them right off. You have some hope if it doesnt swallow them...

Though in all fairness, per pound, i would say the most painful is still a chameleon chomp. I know several vets where the joke is "veileds have a handle on their heads for a certain occasion".

I can vouch for both... When I was an intern at a local zoo I was helping a keeper in the reptile house clean enclosures and feed the animals. I was told to scrub the rhinoceros iguana and tortoise enclosure then put the feeding trays out and hide some food items so they would forage for food.

I didn't look inside a log hide before sticking my hand in to put some lettuce and before I knew what happened I had a 3.5 foot long iguana latched on my hand. Lucky I got all my finger still and I pretty sure the iguana was just as surprised as I was... 16 stitches later and a night to rest and I was back in that enclosure to have a talk with him...

My veiled cham is another story... He tries to draw blood any chance her gets and succeeds way to much...

If it makes you feel better, iguanas are just like pits. They can be big ole softies that you can had off supervised to 8 year olds. Then out of the blue they can just snap, and can return back to normal within minutes. But during that time, you are getting stitches or worse. With iguanas you may just be reaching your hand into the cage to get an object to clean, and it will clamp onto a finger or two, and death roll them right off. You have some hope if it doesnt swallow them...

Though in all fairness, per pound, i would say the most painful is still a chameleon chomp. I know several vets where the joke is "veileds have a handle on their heads for a certain occasion".

I got bit, with full force for about 30 seconds by my panther that was probably 8-9months at the time. He was about one head swing away from taking a full chunk out of in between my fingers. An adult veiled or bigger could definitely do some damage! On this occasion my cham bit me because I woke him up to move him back in his cage, my stupidity.

I got bit, with full force for about 30 seconds by my panther that was probably 8-9months at the time. He was about one head swing away from taking a full chunk out of in between my fingers. An adult veiled or bigger could definitely do some damage! On this occasion my cham bit me because I woke him up to move him back in his cage, my stupidity.
I think we can all agree animals do not like being disturbed when sleeping. I’d want to bite somebody too if they were bothering my siesta lol.

@jamest0o0 Pitbull type dogs are one of the top scorers on the temperament tests. One of the worst scoring is the chihuahua. The issue with the pitbull isnt their "tendency toward violence", it's that they are strong and that scares people. People have spread hate towards pitbulls across the internet because no one tells about when they get bit by a chihuahua. Its really unfortunate that that's kind of what is happening in this thread. I understand that it's mostly anecdotal and just people talking about their own experiences with pits, but it doesnt help the breed at all. I have 2 dogs, a staffy/boxer mix and a mini schnauzer. My staffy was a stray when the shelter picked her up, and she has scars all over her body. She was scared of large men and when other dogs showed aggression toward her she immediately coward away. She has all the signs of being used as a bait dog in dog fighting. She has all the signs that she she be aggressive. She is the biggest baby that I've ever seen. All she wants is to be loved. By me, by strangers, by other dogs. She just wants to be loved. Shes been attacked by other dogs at the dog park before and she didnt even defend herself. She just cowers away and tries to not get hurt. People have told me I should keep her on a leash at dog parks. My mini schnauzer on the other hand is a hard headed diva who if her personal space is not respected will growl and nip at whatever dog or person is in her bubble. But whenever it happens people just laugh and go "awwh shes a feisty one!"
To answer your question, PetSmart has in their terms for their doggy daycare and other activities that they reserve the right to turn away anyone with a pitbull type dog, for no reason. They dont have any strict reasoning, they dont have to put the dogs through any sort of temperament test or require any background on the dog. It's just arbitrary and based on the beliefs of the workers.
Also James I wasnt trying to call you out in any way by tagging you, you just asked the question about PetSmart so I wanted to make so you got your answer lol. I know in the end we are all animal people here, so I'm sure no one would automatically have issues with any dog without a reason first. I just love telling my story about my baby girl because I hope even just one person will see it and change their minds about pits. While I've been typing this my girl has been laying upside down, watching me with her big ol tongue flopped out. Shes an angel, as most pits are.

I love pitbulls. I watch Pitbulls and Parolees on Animal planet. I think they are some amazing dogs... Even when they have been mistreated and abandoned they still are big love bugs to people. As with anything if they were not used for dog fighting then they would not have this bad reputation. There are other dogs that I would never trust with my child but never would I not trust a pit. Now mind you I have not had one but I have had lots of friends with them.

How did this turn into a Pit thread?
And here is my question... While I know everyone hates Petco and Petsmart.... Why is there no anger at the breeders that provide them with these chams???? Like if they just could not order them in then they would not even be able to sell them.

So how do you find out who they are getting them from?

@jamest0o0 Pitbull type dogs are one of the top scorers on the temperament tests. One of the worst scoring is the chihuahua. The issue with the pitbull isnt their "tendency toward violence", it's that they are strong and that scares people. People have spread hate towards pitbulls across the internet because no one tells about when they get bit by a chihuahua. Its really unfortunate that that's kind of what is happening in this thread. I understand that it's mostly anecdotal and just people talking about their own experiences with pits, but it doesnt help the breed at all. I have 2 dogs, a staffy/boxer mix and a mini schnauzer. My staffy was a stray when the shelter picked her up, and she has scars all over her body. She was scared of large men and when other dogs showed aggression toward her she immediately coward away. She has all the signs of being used as a bait dog in dog fighting. She has all the signs that she she be aggressive. She is the biggest baby that I've ever seen. All she wants is to be loved. By me, by strangers, by other dogs. She just wants to be loved. Shes been attacked by other dogs at the dog park before and she didnt even defend herself. She just cowers away and tries to not get hurt. People have told me I should keep her on a leash at dog parks. My mini schnauzer on the other hand is a hard headed diva who if her personal space is not respected will growl and nip at whatever dog or person is in her bubble. But whenever it happens people just laugh and go "awwh shes a feisty one!"
To answer your question, PetSmart has in their terms for their doggy daycare and other activities that they reserve the right to turn away anyone with a pitbull type dog, for no reason. They dont have any strict reasoning, they dont have to put the dogs through any sort of temperament test or require any background on the dog. It's just arbitrary and based on the beliefs of the workers.
Also James I wasnt trying to call you out in any way by tagging you, you just asked the question about PetSmart so I wanted to make so you got your answer lol. I know in the end we are all animal people here, so I'm sure no one would automatically have issues with any dog without a reason first. I just love telling my story about my baby girl because I hope even just one person will see it and change their minds about pits. While I've been typing this my girl has been laying upside down, watching me with her big ol tongue flopped out. Shes an angel, as most pits are.

I fully respect that and totally understand and believe where you're coming from. I don't think pitbulls are by an means inherently aggressive or mean dogs. I hear the chihuahua argument a lot and I am not a fan of chihuahuas, but the difference is a chihuahua gone evil isn't much of a threat. The 1 out of 100 pitbulls that might be aggressive due to improper upbringing could easily kill another dog or even a person. It becomes a liability across a huge store. So if a thousand pits come in, and only 1 causes problems, that 1 problem could be serious. I'm not trying to go after the breed, but it's just the truth. In the city a lot of pits that aren't neutered will run up on other dogs and attack them. This is nearly always due to bad owners, but it's just the reality of it.

I love pitbulls. I watch Pitbulls and Parolees on Animal planet. I think they are some amazing dogs... Even when they have been mistreated and abandoned they still are big love bugs to people. As with anything if they were not used for dog fighting then they would not have this bad reputation. There are other dogs that I would never trust with my child but never would I not trust a pit. Now mind you I have not had one but I have had lots of friends with them.

How did this turn into a Pit thread?
And here is my question... While I know everyone hates Petco and Petsmart.... Why is there no anger at the breeders that provide them with these chams???? Like if they just could not order them in then they would not even be able to sell them.

So how do you find out who they are getting them from?
That's a great point. Someone out there is providing them with chams and other reptiles to sell, so if we go beat them up we can get them to stop! Instill the fear of God in them!!!

I fully respect that and totally understand and believe where you're coming from. I don't think pitbulls are by an means inherently aggressive or mean dogs. I hear the chihuahua argument a lot and I am not a fan of chihuahuas, but the difference is a chihuahua gone evil isn't much of a threat. The 1 out of 100 pitbulls that might be aggressive due to improper upbringing could easily kill another dog or even a person. It becomes a liability across a huge store. So if a thousand pits come in, and only 1 causes problems, that 1 problem could be serious. I'm not trying to go after the breed, but it's just the truth. In the city a lot of pits that aren't neutered will run up on other dogs and attack them. This is nearly always due to bad owners, but it's just the reality of it.
No, you're 100% correct and I wasnt meaning to try to say otherwise. It's the unfortunate reality that owners will never be held responsible for the treatment of their animals which results in the actions of the animals. Like was mentioned earlier in the thread, a pitbull who bites someone will be killed and the owner will get a fine and a slap on the wrist. That owner will probably go get a new dog and treat them just as poorly.

But I digress, the point is we dont like Petco and Petsmart for multiple reasons!! They also keep their crickets in a trash bin James! A trash bin!

I have been tasted by many of chihuahua, i groom dogs part time. At worst they can break the skin.

I believe the problem with pits, is not the temperament, its the risk. They are not a hunting dog with a soft mouth, they are not a small weak dog. It only takes one snap from a "miscommunication or startle" to end up with a vet visit or doctors office.

Though it doesnt help that the owners of the poor pits, are either first time dog owners, or first timers for that size/strength of dog. Its just the rottweilers from the 80's/90's too many crappy owners gave the breed a bad name.

If anything, doggie day care needs to have an "owner" evaluation, not the dog.

I have been tasted by many of chihuahua, i groom dogs part time. At worst they can break the skin.

I believe the problem with pits, is not the temperament, its the risk. They are not a hunting dog with a soft mouth, they are not a small weak dog. It only takes one snap from a "miscommunication or startle" to end up with a vet visit or doctors office.

Though it doesnt help that the owners of the poor pits, are either first time dog owners, or first timers for that size/strength of dog. Its just the rottweilers from the 80's/90's too many crappy owners gave the breed a bad name.

If anything, doggie day care needs to have an "owner" evaluation, not the dog.
Absolutely agree.

If we are going to talk about dog temperament and aggression can we please talk about cats?! I've never been more injured by anything then my cat. And he will run up on visitors to my house and just latch on to their leg. My hands are covered in little scars from all of his extra claws on all his extra toes. Cats are the real issue here people, wake up!

Absolutely agree.

If we are going to talk about dog temperament and aggression can we please talk about cats?! I've never been more injured by anything then my cat. And he will run up on visitors to my house and just latch on to their leg. My hands are covered in little scars from all of his extra claws on all his extra toes. Cats are the real issue here people, wake up!
Cats are not pets... They are the owners of the house. We are simply servants that tend to their needs.

My Australian Cattle Dog aka Blue Heeler took a chomp out of the mailman. Jumped the fence to do so. Doesn't matter what breed. He was trained, he grew up around other dogs, other animals, and even children. He would lick your face off if you let him. In that moment he was unpredictable. I never thought he had it in him. Thankfully the city didn't make me put him down but they wanted me to keep him in the equivalent of dog jail for the rest of his life and be labeled as a "Viscous Dog" with a microchip in his neck that would display that. I ended up relinquishing him to a friend at work in a different county that these laws do not apply to him. It was a sad day but I know he's in a good home. He just turned 1 on Saturday and I gave his new owner some pig ears to give him for his birthday. I miss him so much! Even now I'm starting to tear up. But I know the life he would've had here in prison was no life for him.

I have come close to being chameleon lunch before, but so far so good. I think my wife has been closer to being chomped than I have been and hasn't held my Ambilobe since the day we got him for that reason lol. I always use the respect approach whenever possible. Respect the animals boundaries, respect what makes the animal uncomfortable and avoid it at all costs and you should leave with all fingers in tact. Never leave your eyes off the animal unless you are 100% positive of their current mood or state. At first I wouldn't take my eyes off my Ambilobe when in his enclosure. Now he let's me do whatever I want in there.

The breeders for these big box stores are only in it for the money. They could care less about the health and quality of the animal. I don’t think we will ever be able to stop the production and sales from these stores. The best way is to not support them at all. Every dollar we support them with just continues the cruel process these animals have to go through.

My Australian Cattle Dog aka Blue Heeler took a chomp out of the mailman. Jumped the fence to do so. Doesn't matter what breed. He was trained, he grew up around other dogs, other animals, and even children. He would lick your face off if you let him. In that moment he was unpredictable. I never thought he had it in him. Thankfully the city didn't make me put him down but they wanted me to keep him in the equivalent of dog jail for the rest of his life and be labeled as a "Viscous Dog" with a microchip in his neck that would display that. I ended up relinquishing him to a friend at work in a different county that these laws do not apply to him. It was a sad day but I know he's in a good home. He just turned 1 on Saturday and I gave his new owner some pig ears to give him for his birthday. I miss him so much! Even now I'm starting to tear up. But I know the life he would've had here in prison was no life for him.

I have come close to being chameleon lunch before, but so far so good. I think my wife has been closer to being chomped than I have been and hasn't held my Ambilobe since the day we got him for that reason lol. I always use the respect approach whenever possible. Respect the animals boundaries, respect what makes the animal uncomfortable and avoid it at all costs and you should leave with all fingers in tact. Never leave your eyes off the animal unless you are 100% positive of their current mood or state. At first I wouldn't take my eyes off my Ambilobe when in his enclosure. Now he let's me do whatever I want in there.
I remember you telling us about the mailman incident. I am so sorry you had to give up your baby, you're so strong for being able to do that for him. Even thinking of losing either of my girls gets me immediately emotional.

The breeders for these big box stores are only in it for the money. They could care less about the health and quality of the animal. I don’t think we will ever be able to stop the production and sales from these stores. The best way is to not support them at all. Every dollar we support them with just continues the cruel process these animals have to go through.
I found my Beman at Petco... I know BOOOOOOO Bad BECCA!!! While I do not condone what they are doing or the lack of care. I NEVER would have thought about getting a reptile before he picked me. LIKE EVER! I hated bugs and never thought of a reptile as something I could love much less bring me any joy.

So without Petco, Beman never would have gotten me and I never would have had the opportunity to fall in love with this hobby. I never would have gotten the opportunity to get one of Matt's Nosy Be's and I never would have met the people here that I call friends and chamily.

I really feel the issue is education. There is a lack of it. And unless we are able to show the CEO's of the company that they need an overhaul in their husbandry of these animals then this will continue to happen.

There is a female panther at my local Petco. She is a little doll and has been there 3 months. Kills me every single time I go in. But what makes it worse is that they do not know what locale and did not even know it was a female. They need to be educated.. But people that make minimum wage 5 out of 10 are not going to want to learn more and then there is the turn over rate in retail sales.

This is not an easy issue to fix... It just is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom