Help!! :(

Jeepnchic

Hello my name is Cheyanne and I am a new member and a proud new cham owner! My boyfriend bought me a cham for Christmas because I've really been wanting one for awhile. We have cared for pretty advanced pets before (we own and operate a saltwater fishtank business from our home) so a cham was a new challenge for us.
  • Your Chameleon - I have a female veiled Chameleon and I've only had her for 4 days. I am not 100% on her age I assume she is pretty young... my boyfriend ordered two online for me for christmas (a male and a female) and sadly the male passed the first night
  • Handling - The first time I held her was this morning and it was only to try and get her to eat
  • Feeding - I bought crickets and meal worms to feed her. I tried putting two crickets and a meal worm in her cage the second day (to allow her the first day to acclimate) and she never ate them. I read you should only feed them every other day so I left her alone the third day and tried to feed her again today (still nothing). I also bought cricket food for gut-loading and I dust the crickets with calcium before feeding her.
  • Supplements - I don't know the brand of calcium off the top of my head but I can check later and get back to you.
  • Watering - I have a "little dripper" for watering and I mist three times a day- morning, midday, and evening. (She hates all of it)
  • Fecal Description - I have seen two fecal in her cage- both dark and stringy? I assume normal from what I've seen. No parasite tests ran as far as I know.
  • History - Bought online and shipped overnight to our house

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - The reptibreeze chameleon cage from petco. 1ft by 1 ft by 3ft roughly.
  • Lighting - I'm using the lights that came with the cage and I have them on a timer so they turn on at 7:30 am and turn off at 9pm
  • Temperature - the top of her cage is around 82 I have a thermometer the cage came with to test it and I made three levels of basking for her.
  • Humidity - I haven't tested it nor do I know how.. my boyfriend set-up the cage and he said he made sure everything going was perfect for her. (He researched for weeks before purchasing)
  • Plants - Only fake plants from Petco
  • Placement - Her cage is in the corner of our dining room pretty low traffic. I'm usually the only one there. No vents or fans nearby. The cage is sitting on an old fishtank stand we repurchased to hold her cage.
  • Location - Wenatchee Wa

Current Problem - my Cham hasn't eaten or drank since I got her. She has just started staying at the bottom of her cage and not even going up to the light or any basking spots. She won't move much anymore and seems pretty weak. Her eyes are starting to sink and Im worried she is going to die soon too :(

Attachments

• 20161219_105900.jpg
    20161219_105900.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 60
could you post a picture of her? My cham seems to respond better to drinking with luke warm water, so you could try that also

If the male died the next day I would absolutely contact the seller, almost nothing you could have done to cause this. Your info looks good, I'd get rid of all those fake plants and just put a small umbrella plant and some sticks so she can regulate where she needs to be. Live plants are always the way to go plus they keep the humidity correct. I suspect since you've had them for so little time there was something wrong before you recieved, chameleons shouldn't turn this fast. Keep her hydrated by continuing to mist, don't mist her directly. Make sure crickets are small enough for her and I'd add more than 2, a dozen is fine for a juvenile every other day, but I would certainly be contacting seller at this point. Nothing stands out that you did wrong.

Last edited:
I bought crickets and meal worms to feed her
Dont feed the mealworm
turn on at 7:30 am and turn off at 9pm
Try to keep the light for 12 hours
I have seen two fecal in her cage- both dark and stringy? I assume normal from what I've seen.
No white urate????
Her eyes are starting to sink and Im worried she is going to die soon too :(
Sounds like a dehydrated chameleon going down hill,u will have to hydrate her like feeding a human baby with a bottle,
Use a eye dropper and drip until she start licking the water drops,u need to get her to drink.
Post a pic like the above poster said,so we all can see how severely dehydrated she is or maybe something else totally different .

Back
Top Bottom