Stop supporting petco/petsmart

And that is where we will never agree. I don’t believe something needs to die to prove a point, to me that’s ignorance and how stupid stuff has and will continue to happen.

Letting something die to prove a point? It's not to prove a point, it's has an actual physical purpose. You're being very short sighted my friend... I dont know how many times we have to say that when you buy 1, that means they get in more, meaning most of them will die. I really don't see how you guys can't get that?

I guess saving 1 is worth tons of others dying as long as they're out of your guys' sight?

Last edited:
Actually after a month of owning him he got really sick and I found out he had high levels of coccidia. His liver was enlarged and calcium levels extremely low. Witch is why I would never buy a reptile from them again.
I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
I'm ok with agreeing to disagree.
By the time a reptile gets to "Big Box Pets" its been at a breeders and then moved to a wholesaler/distributor and then into the store and eventually to a home. The stress levels are excessive. It's amazing any survive. There is a very old thread on here describing the conditions at a distributor that dealt with the big pet stores, filthy crammed cages and dead animals just tossed on the floor.

No matter where I fall on the sphere and my leanings, which is not something I like discussing on a forum, this is something I have to agree with you on. I will NEVER, I couldnt even fathom for myself personally, be able to just stand by and let something die if I can do something to help. I went back a couple weeks ago to pick up that female (whom i demanded for free) and she died in the car ride home. :(

That's why sometimes we need people to make the hard choices. Sometimes, one thing has to die to save many more. This is the utilitarian way that needs to be applied in certain cases.

Last edited:
And that is where we will never agree. I don’t believe something needs to die to prove a point, to me that’s ignorance and how stupid stuff has and will continue to happen.

No personal attacks jox, you're banned! :cool:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
I'm ok with agreeing to disagree.
By the time a reptile gets to "Big Box Pets" its been at a breeders and then moved to a wholesaler/distributor and then into the store and eventually to a home. The stress levels are excessive. It's amazing any survive. There is a very old thread on here describing the conditions at a distributor that dealt with the big pet stores, filthy crammed cages and dead animals just tossed on the floor.
Im not going to lie I have a soft heart and can’t stand a dying animal. Witch is how I ended up with Imelda as well. It’s a lesson learned, two sick chameleons at the same time and new chameleon keeper, if I could go back in time I would do it again

I will have to look up that thread. Education is key.

That's why sometimes we need people to make the hard choices. Sometimes, one thing has to die to save many more. This is the utilitarian way that needs to be applied in certain cases.

While I agree with what you are saying I don’t think letting 1 Cham die in the store will make any difference at all. For that one that dies in the store there was probably like 10-20 that died in there shitty breeding/ housing / shipping facilities.

Letting something die to prove a point? It's not to prove a point, it's has an actual physical purpose. You're being very short sighted my friend... I dont know how many times we have to say that when you buy 1, that means they get in more, meaning most of them will die. I really don't see how you guys can't get that?

I guess saving 1 is worth tons of others dying as long as they're out of your guys' sight?

Its a battle for sure. I want to save something thats dying, but at the same time, money is the only thing these companies understand. We have to stop the flow of money for them stop selling chams. I get this 100%. Again why I wont shop there, because I know if I go in and see a baby cham dying i will want to save it.

To be honest, I had a hard time not buying one. The whole time I was there the one was following me from one side of the enclosure to the other side as I walked around. He/she was trying to reach out to me through the glass. I'm guessing it was a female since it was a pinkish color but a can't tell the sexes for sure yet. I even almost talked myself into getting the "kit" since it's been recommended to start out with the smaller cage. But after doing all my research on this site I didn't want to start out behind the 8 ball and try to hurry up and fix stuff while my new pet suffers from me not being prepared. So I decided to wait and do things correctly from the beginning

This is the correct answer.
You can call me names.
You can pat yourself on the back.
But when you buy one sick chameleon to "save" it, you are, in my opinion and in fact, helping a business model that will kill another ten that you can't help.

If one dies, and that stops a business from buying more, then untold numbers of animals are saved from the fate of the one. Simple logic. Not warm and fuzzy. Not a happy ending. Its a hard choice to make, but the right one.

Anybody seen a three toe box turtle in a pet store lately? Back in the 80's and 90's they were 19.99 each. Big box chain stores killed them left right and sideways. Mostly respiratory infections.

Now they are seldom seen. On threatened lists. And recently I saw I a few captive hatched ones selling for $100. Know what, at $100 they are healthy and thriving.

As long as some chams are being sold for cheap, they will suffer. Stop buying them. If you see a sick Cham and want to help, demand it be given to you free. But don't pay for it.

Anything else, any other reasoning or explanations, is just self serving. It's why I got out of the pet industry a few decades ago.

My stance on this is with James. Don't buy their animals and give them profit and bring in new animals to sell. There's no peaceful happy solution to this. The big pet corporation aren't about welfare of the animals, they want money. You can't discourage or persuade them from making money. You need to make them lose money to stop the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom