Steve the Chameleon

Sarahcwilson

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I teach sixth grade in Washington State and I just got my first chameleon! His name is Steve and he is a Nosy Be. My students and I became interested in chameleons when they were given a practice state reading test that was about the chameleons tongue. I found out that you could keep a chameleon as a pet and talked to my students about it. Next thing you know, they have done tons of research about the different types of chameleons, their dietary, temperature, handling, humidity, and habitat needs. I just couldn't help myself and we turned it into a classroom project. They spent the first three months of school preparing his habitat, learning how to gutload, testing his cage to make sure they could maintain the proper humidity and temperature. I made them give me a list of supplies to buy and obtained a classroom grant to offset the cost a little. They applied for the different jobs: mister, humidity checker, cage cleaner, etc. We made a schedule and picked a name (out of a hat filled with one name from each student). They even made signs that say, "I like slow movements!" and "Stay away if I'm dark!" Some even started wearing light colored clothes so they wouldn't scare him. and then, I made the trip to pick him up.

Here is my little baby!

Attachments

• Hi! I'm Steve! - tiny pic.jpg
    Hi! I'm Steve! - tiny pic.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 110
They do! He is spoiled. :) They even changed how they line up so the line doesn't go right to his cage (they were worried about stressing him out with too many people). They've been really good with him!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I teach sixth grade in Washington State and I just got my first chameleon! His name is Steve and he is a Nosy Be. My students and I became interested in chameleons when they were given a practice state reading test that was about the chameleons tongue. I found out that you could keep a chameleon as a pet and talked to my students about it. Next thing you know, they have done tons of research about the different types of chameleons, their dietary, temperature, handling, humidity, and habitat needs. I just couldn't help myself and we turned it into a classroom project. They spent the first three months of school preparing his habitat, learning how to gutload, testing his cage to make sure they could maintain the proper humidity and temperature. I made them give me a list of supplies to buy and obtained a classroom grant to offset the cost a little. They applied for the different jobs: mister, humidity checker, cage cleaner, etc. We made a schedule and picked a name (out of a hat filled with one name from each student). They even made signs that say, "I like slow movements!" and "Stay away if I'm dark!" Some even started wearing light colored clothes so they wouldn't scare him. and then, I made the trip to pick him up.

Here is my little baby!

Where do you teach in Washington? I live in Washington and go to school in washington.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for teaching with a chameleon. ShaunaRoxanne, who responded to you, made a great ninja video with her students last year, so it might be an idea for you to do something similar. I am so happy to hear about teachers introducing chameleons (or other pets) into the classrooms as teaching tools, because it can only inspire youngsters to want to practice conservation and further their education. Kudos to both you and Shauna! :D

Absolutbill, Steve is my first classroom pet and so far the whole experience has been so great for my students. I think they really have a sense now of all the research, preparation, dedication, and expense of having that cute little pet. They really have seen the commitment needed to keep a pet. But they love it!!!

I just watched the ninja video: Awesome!!!

Lol, Thanks! My kids absolutely LOVED filming that movie. This year we are going to do a spin-off or sequel with the new class.

There is so much you will be able to do with him. Boys who despise writing will suddenly be inspired to write about your chameleon. You can have them write instructional essays on how to care for a panther chameleon. I've done measurement lessons with him, and my energy unit suddenly made sense when they understood that when I feed carrots to the roaches, Fuego was eating the carrots after he ate the roaches. The possibilities are endless, if you come up with ideas, please share with me! I don't have anyone else who really "gets" my teaching method :rolleyes:

Human names given to chameleons will always make me laugh. Steve suits the kid perfectly!

Your kids are lucky!

Back
Top Bottom