Stanley's not eating or pooping like he was...

lisagr07

Avid Member
hey everyone,,,

i have a bit of concern for my little Stanley... he hasn't been eating nor pooping much in the last 2 weeks...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, , male, 4 and 1/2 months. How long has it been in your care? 7and 1/2 weeks.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? every day at least an hour some days more.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? at this point all he is interested in is silkies and that interest is limited.What amount? today 3 yesterday 4..What is the schedule? trying to feed crickets in the am by way of cup. he used to beat me to the cup but now shows no interest. only wants to come out. after getting home from work sometimes i can entice him into eating 2-4 silkies... nothing else, the crickets are usually still in his cup or roaming the cage.. i have hornworms ordered..How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets and dubia get carrots, collards cricket crack, oranges, apples and Flukers cricket quencher.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? crickets and roaches have been dusted daily with ReptiCalcium without d3 and twice a month with Reptical with d3, once a month with Reptivite around the 20th. dusted supers the same when he would eat them, just fed the silkies..
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? MistKing for the most part, hand misting when i take him outside, when temp permits. How often and how long to you mist? 4 times a day 9am, 12noon, 3pm and 5pm for 3 minutes each. you see your chameleon drinking? yes, when i hand mist him he readily drinks the water droplets that form on his mouth, i continue until he stops drinking.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. poop is firm, brown and bullet shaped. urates are white. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? yes, just before being set to me from Jannb, 7ish weeks ago.. tested clear of parasites.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. from the time he came out of the box until approximately 2 weeks ago he ate any and everything that wiggled.. i got low on crickets and started offering more worms, silkies, hornworms and suoers, which he readily ate. when i got more crickets.. he just had NO interest... in roaches either, and now it seems i have to beg him to eat a silkie or two for me... he came to me weighing 24grams in the first f weeks he gained 52grams, he hasn't gained anything since "going off of his feed." has lost maybe 2 grams in the past 2 weeks.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen cage, 24X28X48"
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? i'm using a5.0 Reptisun linear tube bulb and a 40watt incandescent bulb for basking. basking temp is 82deg. at 6" below bulb. What is your daily lighting schedule? lights come on at 8am and go off at 8pm.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? cage floor mid 70's basking 82 degrees.Lowest overnight temp? 74 degrees.How do you measure these temps? digital and analog temp measurer's, temp gun for specific readings...
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? vary 60-70% . How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Mistking misting frequently, back side of Cage solid. What do you use to measure humidity? analog temp reader.
Plants - Are you using live plants? yes If so, what kind? pothos hanging in top right corner of cage, schifilera in bottom left of cage and hibiscus in bottom right of cage.
Placement - Where is your cage located? den. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? close to a hall but very limited traffic, he has been in this area since his arrival. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? top of cage is 78" from floor level.
Location - Where are you geographically located? mid south,, Memphis, Tennessee

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Stanley was a veracious eater for the first 5 weeks i've had him... since i ran short on crickets 2 weeks ago he has NO interest in them or roaches, the 6th week ate supers , hornworms and silkies. now not interested in supers, i have to beg him to eat a silkie hornworms should be here to try in the next day or two.
he is very active in his cage always exploring and always eager to come out if given the opportunity... as far as i know he has pooped 3 times in the last week and they have been "smaller" than in the weeks prior, urates are white, he readily drinks when i hand mist him. loves to bask in the natural sunlight and in his cage... alert and oriented... just not the eater that he was, not continuiing to put on weight, lost 2 grams in the past 2 weeks but i truly believe it's just because of his decrease in feeder intake... not saying it's ok, just not horrid at the moment..

one thing i feel is important to mention is that he loves to eat dirt, i've done my best to prevent tis from happening but he seems to seek out the smallest crack or crevice and shoot his tongue into it and eat a bit of dirt... i know this practice can cause impaction.. i don't really feel that this is the issue but i'm far from the expert...so i'm turning to you guys for guidance!!!!

what to do, since he does eat 3-4 silkies and drinks and basks... take him to the vet for a fecal? just continue to watch him and try the hornworms when they arrive?

thanks a TON!!!!!!! lisa

Last edited:
It's normal for their appetite and pooping to slow down. In a few more months you will want to go to feeding every other day. If you have time try in the morning to feed him outside of the cage. After being spoiled to worms he's probably not going to want crickets. The eating dirt is normal too. Bea does the exact same thing.

From my point of view, i don't see anything too worrying. Chameleons often lose interest in some kind of food, just like you and me! ;) And like kids, they have a few downs when it's time to grow and get bigger. Just wait a few weeks and it should be back to normal, at least in the amount of food he eats.

The dirt isn't uncommon, but if you can make sure he doesn't eat too much it would be the best! But since he is pooping every two days, i don't see anything bad here and impaction is most likely not happening at the moment! :) The color of his poop is also good, so no worried in here! And since silkworms are very healthy for a chameleon, no worries in here!

I noticed that you handle your chameleon a lot. Perhaps you should lower it a bit. That doesn't mean to not let your chameleon go out though! You could just move him with you in the living room, and since he likes to explore, just drop him to somewhere safe and let him wander a bit, for maybe 30 to 45 mins. Of course, you have to keep your eye on him to make sure he doesn't get injuried (from cats or dogs, falling, or walking on it! ;) I'm sure you don't wish your chameleon to get hurt! :)

Other than that, i don't see anything to add. If you'd like to post a picture of your chameleon and enclosure, it can never hurt! Worst thing that will happen is people might tell you that you have a good looking chameleon and a great enclosure! ;) Keep us updated! :)

It's normal for their appetite and pooping to slow down. In a few more months you will want to go to feeding every other day. If you have time try in the morning to feed him outside of the cage. After being spoiled to worms he's probably not going to want crickets. The eating dirt is normal too. Bea does the exact same thing.

i know their intake and output decrease with age, but at 17ish weeks is it ok to see a decrease?

I would say so! At the rate these babies are growing, I wouldn't be surprised if the males were 17+ inches by 6-8 months! The babies are huge!

I would say so! At the rate these babies are growing, I wouldn't be surprised if the males were 17+ inches by 6-8 months! The babies are huge!

I agree. These babies don't seem to be normal size veiled babies you'd buy from a big breeder at a show. At four months they are probably like most 6 or 7 month other veileds. I wouldn't worry to much and if your think it could be parasites then it never hurts to get a fecal.

From my point of view, i don't see anything too worrying. Chameleons often lose interest in some kind of food, just like you and me! ;) And like kids, they have a few downs when it's time to grow and get bigger. Just wait a few weeks and it should be back to normal, at least in the amount of food he eats.

The dirt isn't uncommon, but if you can make sure he doesn't eat too much it would be the best! But since he is pooping every two days, i don't see anything bad here and impaction is most likely not happening at the moment! :) The color of his poop is also good, so no worried in here! And since silkworms are very healthy for a chameleon, no worries in here!

I noticed that you handle your chameleon a lot. Perhaps you should lower it a bit. That doesn't mean to not let your chameleon go out though! You could just move him with you in the living room, and since he likes to explore, just drop him to somewhere safe and let him wander a bit, for maybe 30 to 45 mins. Of course, you have to keep your eye on him to make sure he doesn't get injuried (from cats or dogs, falling, or walking on it! ;) I'm sure you don't wish your chameleon to get hurt! :)

Other than that, i don't see anything to add. If you'd like to post a picture of your chameleon and enclosure, it can never hurt! Worst thing that will happen is people might tell you that you have a good looking chameleon and a great enclosure! ;) Keep us updated! :)

thanks morpheon,, i think overall he is doing quite well...
and trust me... he loves getting out of his enclosure and being allowed to crawl about... when i say i handle him daily, i get him out of his enclosure and let him hang out in a plant or climb around on a viney structure i put together for him... he's one of jannb's babies and they all were handled daily.. he has to have it, it's what he knows, it's natural/normal for him!!!! :)

he is my first so i really have nothing to compare to.... i just notice when therer is a change in his eating/eliminating.... other than those two things... he is doing sooo well!!! i think it's called "new mom syndrome"!!!!! :)

I agree. These babies don't seem to be normal size veiled babies you'd buy from a big breeder at a show. At four months they are probably like most 6 or 7 month other veileds. I wouldn't worry to much and if your think it could be parasites then it never hurts to get a fecal.

thanks jastate09.... I always appreciate the input from those that have been there!!!!! lisa

UPDATE:::::
well, i caught Stanley in a very unflattering position this morning... he was "taking care of business"... he was passing a normal urate, white and quite gelatenous, and then a decent sized poop, a dark brown 2 segmented poop....
it made me feel much better about the situation!!!!
i just wish he would be as enthusiastic about his food... :)

another update:::

after another week of VERY limited eating and pooping i took Stanley to the vet today. the vet is an exotic animal vet and has much experience with reptiles and chameleons specifically, his name is Dr. Shannon McGee within about 30 minutes of me. he is listed in the list Jannb provided for us...

Dr. McGee said that Stanley was a bit dehydrated and gave him a "bolus" of Lactated Ringers with D5 and a bit of potassium to help get him back hydrated, via a syringe down his throat, which i must say Stanley didn't appreciate it much but the vet says it should help jump start his hydration...... i took some poop and he did a fecal test and said he was free of parasites.... his weight has pretty much stayed the same he has dropped a bit but only 2-3 grams in a 3 weekish period.... he's weighing 74 grams now..

Dr. McGee asked about misting and dripping and i told him of my set up, he said that something he has had success with in the past was to set up an air bubbler in a small shallow bowl up high in his cage close enough to a branch that he cah check out the movement/bubbling and get interested in getting some water by actually shooting the bubbles or condensation that will result from the bubbles and run bown the back of the cage.... (fingers crossed, that it works)...

him being dehydrated has caused his lack of interest in food, hopefully this will help and he should go back to eating "something"!!!!! (fingers crossed again)

anyone have any additional tips on getting and keeping these guys hydrated?? i'm interested in any and all suggestions....

thanks,, lisa

Lisa to help with hydration I would do some extra long warm hand mistings. You do use a dripper right? You can also give him a shower if you feel that's needed. Hopefully he is just slowing down his eating due to him getting older. Why don't you take some pictures several of him to post. Get some body shots and some good ones of his eyes. I'm not a vet but have never heard of any of what your vet did or recommened before. Did he look in Stanley's mouth? I may email your thread to my vet.

Lisa to help with hydration I would do some extra long warm hand mistings. You do use a dripper right? You can also give him a shower if you feel that's needed. Hopefully he is just slowing down his eating due to him getting older. Why don't you take some pictures several of him to post. Get some body shots and some good ones of his eyes. I'm not a vet but have never heard of any of what your vet did or recommened before. Did he look in Stanley's mouth? I may email your thread to my vet.

hey Jann,
ii do use a dripper along witht the mister, and i hand mist him in the mornings when i don't have to work and each evening, the only time i have seen him drink is when i have hand misted him. i hope that your right about him just slowing down but it sems to me he is just barely eating compared to the first 5 weeks i had him. the last thing i've seen him eat was one hornworm last friday..
his skin did appear to not "snap" back to his body and he looked kinda "wrinkly" ... he said his eyes were slightly sunken, not bad at all but he was just starting to show a "rim" around his eyes??? i kinda saw what he was seeing but i'm inexperienced..

i'll give him some lengthy hand mistings and get some pics, the pics may have to come tomorrow though..

thanks,, lisa

his skin did appear to not "snap" back to his body and he looked kinda "wrinkly" ... he said his eyes were slightly sunken, not bad at all but he was just starting to show a "rim" around his eyes??? i kinda saw what he was seeing but i'm inexperienced..

thanks,, lisa

When was his last shed, this description kinda sounds like he is getting ready to shed.

here are some pics from this morning...
you can see the "excess skin" on his sides, it's not apparent all of the time so i don't know.. and here are a few of is eyes, does he appear dehydrated to you???

thanks,, lisa

965126995_uWNRM-L.jpg

965127284_cAZTF-L.jpg

965127707_4vajj-L.jpg

965127941_8nU5x-L.jpg

965175700_cBUsq-L.jpg

965175196_VCjkM-L.jpg

965127461_uuuvS-L.jpg

965128150_6E6Lz-L.jpg

965174982_ToChQ-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back