Stanley's not eating or pooping like he was...

He looks just like my Clark - maybe a bit dehydrated. I would put him in the shower and let him "soak it up" and drink to his hearts content. Oftentimes a chameleon doesn't want us to see them eat or drink, so don't fret if you don't see him. chameleons are funny creatures. They do get stubborn like 2 year olds with eating, however when they get hungry they will eat. Of my two Luie/Chammile babies, the girl will always hustle towards the door and almost leap towards the cup with food and guzzle it down. If a few of the crickets get away she hustles right after them. Now Clark, he is a different story. He pretends he's not too interested and wants his food on the run. So, I have to dump his crickets. He doesn't eat worms because I don't leave them in his cage. Sometimes I put 1 or 2 in a little cup and just leave them there. He will look at them while I am away and try to decide if he will eat them or not.

If Stanley is pooping he must be eating enough. Shower and watch him and keep us posted.

Hey Lisa, Luca has not been eating like his ole' voracious self either the last few weeks. I was worried at first, but his behaviour has not changed. I have been letting him out more and more and he seems happy to be exploring and not much interested in food. Finally, this moring he chowed down. I am not sure why. I guess he finally got hungry. I too have been waiting for a shed. Seems about time for one. I used to let everything worry me to death, but I am learning things are different with each cham. Sometimes they are hungry and sometimes they are not. He has not lost a bit of weight and is drinking fine. Good luck with Stanely - He still looks handsome as ever to me!

He looks just like my Clark - maybe a bit dehydrated. I would put him in the shower and let him "soak it up" and drink to his hearts content. Oftentimes a chameleon doesn't want us to see them eat or drink, so don't fret if you don't see him. chameleons are funny creatures. They do get stubborn like 2 year olds with eating, however when they get hungry they will eat. Of my two Luie/Chammile babies, the girl will always hustle towards the door and almost leap towards the cup with food and guzzle it down. If a few of the crickets get away she hustles right after them. Now Clark, he is a different story. He pretends he's not too interested and wants his food on the run. So, I have to dump his crickets. He doesn't eat worms because I don't leave them in his cage. Sometimes I put 1 or 2 in a little cup and just leave them there. He will look at them while I am away and try to decide if he will eat them or not.

If Stanley is pooping he must be eating enough. Shower and watch him and keep us posted.

hey Naomi,
i appreciate the input. i have had Stanley in the shower a couple of times but he seems to hate it, he keeps trying to climb down the tree i have in there for him and grabs for the shower curtian trying to get out.

he used to chase the food down also and get in the way of the cup as i poured the crickets in.. but now, he just looks at the worms dancing around on the twigs and the crickets clinging to the screen overhead...

i hand misted him for 30 minutes this morning outside and i only saw him lick off the droplets twice.. he had been doing that for quite a while before....

i just don't want to miss something, so i'm hoping you guys will look and advise...
thanks,, lisa

Lisa I think Stanley is looking fine. Any time I have a worry the first thing I do is mist & mist & mist. That almost always does the trick. I will also bet money Stanley is getting ready to shed. He has the ghost over skin look to me. The little monsters do change habits over time. I can now pick Pepper up anytime I want. He knows I usually only pick him up to go to the outside cages for the day. He really likes that. He really used to hate me.:( Stanley is just going through one of the various chameleon growing up phases. I think it is wonderful that you are such a caring new mommy but just relax, I think all it well.:)

Hey Lisa, Luca has not been eating like his ole' voracious self either the last few weeks. I was worried at first, but his behaviour has not changed. I have been letting him out more and more and he seems happy to be exploring and not much interested in food. Finally, this moring he chowed down. I am not sure why. I guess he finally got hungry. I too have been waiting for a shed. Seems about time for one. I used to let everything worry me to death, but I am learning things are different with each cham. Sometimes they are hungry and sometimes they are not. He has not lost a bit of weight and is drinking fine. Good luck with Stanely - He still looks handsome as ever to me!

thanks Amanda,,,

Stanley is still for the most part acting "normal";). his lack of interest in food is my concern. which hased to a halt in his weight gain. i don't want him to be overweight and unhealthy but he was putting on weight like a champ and then ceased when he lost interest in food... and i'm not sure he's drinking as much as he was..... just changes i see and not knowing i'm a bit "paranoid"... ;)

thanks,, lisa

Lisa I think Stanley is looking fine. Any time I have a worry the first thing I do is mist & mist & mist. That almost always does the trick. I will also bet money Stanley is getting ready to shed. He has the ghost over skin look to me. The little monsters do change habits over time. I can now pick Pepper up anytime I want. He knows I usually only pick him up to go to the outside cages for the day. He really likes that. He really used to hate me.:( Stanley is just going through one of the various chameleon growing up phases. I think it is wonderful that you are such a caring new mommy but just relax, I think all it well.:)

hey Laurie,,
i so hope ALL of you are right and all is well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm going to mist the stink out of him right now!!!!! ;)

i'm a huge worry wart!!!!!!! :)

hey Laurie,,
i so hope ALL of you are right and all is well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm going to mist the stink out of him right now!!!!! ;)

i'm a huge worry wart!!!!!!! :)
You are going to mist the stink out of him??? That poor little baby stinks? lol

Hey Lisa!!! Stanley does look good to me too. I've noticed that they get kind of a sunken eye and dried out look before a shed. As far as the decreased appetite, I'll add a couple things. 1. Males, in my opinion, do show less of an interest in food as they get older. Why, I don't know. I've also noticed that they get "moody" too. Change likes, dislikes in food and people routines etc. 2. Frogg is a HUGE dirt eater. He would go through stages where he would eat only dirt and nothing else. He never impacted, but didn't eat either. Buy some vinyl screen, very small gauge. Cut a slit in the side to the middle. Cut a very small hole, just large enough to get the plant stems through and I use twist ties to get it all back together. Tent the screen by the plant and I use bigger stones to weigh it down. I use small gravel stones to fill in any gaps. This will keep him from eating dirt and once he passes more of it, should increase his appetite. Consuming large amounts of dirt can dehydrate him some also. Good luck!!

Hey Lisa!!! Stanley does look good to me too. I've noticed that they get kind of a sunken eye and dried out look before a shed. As far as the decreased appetite, I'll add a couple things. 1. Males, in my opinion, do show less of an interest in food as they get older. Why, I don't know. I've also noticed that they get "moody" too. Change likes, dislikes in food and people routines etc. 2. Frogg is a HUGE dirt eater. He would go through stages where he would eat only dirt and nothing else. He never impacted, but didn't eat either. Buy some vinyl screen, very small gauge. Cut a slit in the side to the middle. Cut a very small hole, just large enough to get the plant stems through and I use twist ties to get it all back together. Tent the screen by the plant and I use bigger stones to weigh it down. I use small gravel stones to fill in any gaps. This will keep him from eating dirt and once he passes more of it, should increase his appetite. Consuming large amounts of dirt can dehydrate him some also. Good luck!!

Chams can eat small stones and it can kill them. Do you cover the small stone with something. A small stone killed one of my daughters chams years ago.

Chams can eat small stones and it can kill them. Do you cover the small stone with something. A small stone killed one of my daughters chams years ago.

I don't use like pea gravel it's bigger than that, just not as big as the stones I put in the pots. I make sure to pick out the ones they could accidentally ingest, and use the bigger stones. Sorry, I think and type at the same time, forgetting that everyone isn't in my head!!! :p

i have the soil covered with fifty cent size river rocks, he couldn't even move them if he wanted... :)
here's to hoping that you are right about "being a moody male"!!!!
thanks,, lisa

Back
Top Bottom