Spike is aggressive towards thermometer probe in basking area

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
Good Morning everyone,

So I've given this a few days since I've noticed it, but Spike REALLY hates the black thermometer probe that is in his basking area. When he gets close to it, he puffs up real big and he opens his mouth :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: On one hand it's neat to see. But on the other I'd like some on opinions on whether I should leave it be and let him get used to it, or if I should remove it.

This probe specifically is for the dimmer that controls his basking light (to keep it from going over a certain temp).

Spike basks completely fine. He is doing very well. It does not seem like he's basking overly long or anything because he won't go right next to the thermometer. Although he does bask a little bit away from it.

I am only curious to see what people think because he's in a new home (been here just over a week) and I am curious what the play is in this situation. I have no problem removing it and just having the lamp set to low-mid 80s in the basking area. The other sensor I have there is fine and he doesn't care about that. He just hates the probe (I think because it sticks up and could probably look like some other creature lol)

1691069720879.png

I should probably point out that this pic does NOT show him being aggressive of course. I know that. But he turned his body around and when he saw the probe he puffed up, opened his mouth in aggression, then turned back around and went to basking like this all calm lol

Just to not confuse anyone in thinking that I think THIS look is 'aggressive' because that is not the case :) I just wanted to show the thermometer probe.

Aww…that’s kinda cute. 😊 I guess to him it looks like a tiny snake. If it’s stressing him out, maybe look for a different spot where it won’t be so prominent and see how he does.
I can do that. I was thinking maybe instead of having it stick straight up (I have it set to 83f) I can put it parallel with the stick so it's kind of hiding behind it, but still in the path of the heating lamp. And maybe bump it up to 84 or even 85 depending on how he reacts, basking wise. I will try that when I get home!

It is super cute. If I catch him doing it again I'll try to grab a screen shot lol

My panther also gets so angry and upset about the wired probe. It really does look like a black snake when I think about it! My veiled hides from passersby in the mornings but oddly, in the afternoons he’s everyone’s best friend sitting down front and center to snoop. I don’t get it, they’re so odd and particular!

My panther also gets so angry and upset about the wired probe. It really does look like a black snake when I think about it! My veiled hides from passersby in the mornings but oddly, in the afternoons he’s everyone’s best friend sitting down front and center to snoop. I don’t get it, they’re so odd and particular!
Spike has been EXCELLENT with us being near the cage. We give him his privacy, but once in a while I have to go in there and of course he's in my sons room so my son will be in there and he doesn't seem phased by us at all. He doesn't retreat or anything unless I personally go into the cage to clean/make an adjustment. Even then he typically just hangs out where he is lol

But yeah this black vine snake temp probe is clearly his worst enemy. He hates it with the passion of a thousand UVB bulbs :ROFLMAO:

I would personally leave it. You might pull it so it runs to the side of the branch. But I have run thermometers on all of my basking and the chams get used to them.

He may actually be reacting to the sensor that is there as well.

I would personally leave it. You might pull it so it runs to the side of the branch. But I have run thermometers on all of my basking and the chams get used to them.

He may actually be reacting to the sensor that is there as well.
Yeah I'm gonna try pulling it so it runs to the side. Just because he's really not going over there lol He has no issues basking where he is, but I don't want him to think he needs to avoid that area.

There he goes lol You tell that mean probe snake who's boss Spike!

literally every time he basks in this direction is when he is puffing up lol although this time he didn't open his mouth/hiss at it

1691087975275.png

I dunno he is also flattening out. They do this when basking. His colors are not that of annoyance.
I was thinking the same thing because this is not quite what he was doing earlier and his color is definitely different. So yeah here he is probably just exposing his skin to the light lol ah well

He looks like he is basking to me.
Yeah he definitely was. I saw him puff up and jumped the gun but he was clearly just basking lol

earlier yesterday when he was being aggressive he got up on his 2 hind legs, with his arms out and opened his mouth open looking at it lol here he ended up just exposing his skin to the light haha my bad.

The mean little black snakes (temp/hygro probe) strike again!!

So Spike hasn't been caring at all about probes in a while. So I thought this would be okay....

I put a probe on a new thermometer/hygrometer near Spikes resting area so that I could check the numbers compared to the blue tooth sensor I have in that area (btw.... VERY accurate!! within under 1degree F / 1% humidity!!). I noticed Spike was acting weird.. wouldn't go all the way down to his resting area and was upside down. I couldn't figure out why until I got up close and realized the probe was like RIGHT there and he was staring at it lol!!! So I removed it carefully and now he is in his resting space as normal. He's such a funny little guy :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

So Spike hasn't been caring at all about probes in a while. So I thought this would be okay....

I put a probe on a new thermometer/hygrometer near Spikes resting area so that I could check the numbers compared to the blue tooth sensor I have in that area (btw.... VERY accurate!! within under 1degree F / 1% humidity!!). I noticed Spike was acting weird.. wouldn't go all the way down to his resting area and was upside down. I couldn't figure out why until I got up close and realized the probe was like RIGHT there and he was staring at it lol!!! So I removed it carefully and now he is in his resting space as normal. He's such a funny little guy :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
God forbid anything changes!

Last edited:
God forbid
At least now I know where he officially stands with the snake probes lmao I will keep the 2 up in his basking area since he really doesn't seem to care about them at all now. But I won't be adding anymore. Especially now since I know the wireless sensors are actually quite accurate. To be honest I was having some thoughts about whether they were. But I can't imagine the probability of them being inaccurate, but in exactly the same way, in sync with each other, as an entirely different probe sensor, different manufacturer, etc being really high. So I think they're really accurate. I got the data I needed anyway lol

Silly baby ;)

First time I put one in spaghettis enclosure, he hung upside down staring at it for a minute, must have thought it was a bug cause he tried to taste it. 😂 realized it wasn’t food and hasn’t even looked at it since lol he must like shiny things because when my finger nails have glitter on them he often goes after them too 😅

First time I put one in spaghettis enclosure, he hung upside down staring at it for a minute, must have thought it was a bug cause he tried to taste it. 😂 realized it wasn’t food and hasn’t even looked at it since lol he must like shiny things because when my finger nails have glitter on them he often goes after them too 😅
I love that boy 🤣🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom