Something possibly in chameleons eye

You may not have to go to this extreme... Certain parasites are very easy to get rid of but knowing the parasite type or types is how we can help you know what you need to do for cleaning. :)
Since its protozoa how can assure no reinfection

Since its protozoa how can assure no reinfection
Ok so I was looking at this.... So when I googled it , it lead me to believe that the protozoa are a stage of several parasites and not the name of the parasite... But I by no means have a clue here. I am going to tag some way more experienced keepers in on this one. I know they have their own microscopes and really do know what everything means when it comes to this stuff. @kinyonga @JacksJill @jannb @Mawtyplant @GoodKarma19
These are the meds that the OP was given as well. The cham is not doing well today. Enrofloxacin to use in 0.04 ccs everyday for 14 days. Metronidazole to use in 0.2 ccs everyday for 7 days
This was what I found which is why I was thrown off... And my concern is it references protozoa with Coccidia which is not a fun one to deal with. I have personal experience here. http://www.uvma.org/chameleon/parasites.htm

Last edited:
Ok so I was looking at this.... So when I googled it , it lead me to believe that the protozoa are a stage of several parasites and not the name of the parasite... But I by no means have a clue here. I am going to tag some way more experienced keepers in on this one. I know they have their own microscopes and really do know what everything means when it comes to this stuff. @kinyonga @JacksJill @jannb @Mawtyplant

This was what I found which is why I was thrown off... And my concern is it references protozoa with Coccidia which is not a fun one to deal with. I have personal experience here. http://www.uvma.org/chameleon/parasites.htm
He looks even worse today then he has been. Hes been sleeping pretty much all day and his colors are extremely dark. Im not sure what else to do for him.

Last edited:
He looks even worse today then he has been. Hes been sleeping pretty much all day and his colors are extremely dark. Im not sure what else to do for him.
Ill just stick with the meds and try to keep him as hydrated as possible. Really sucks

It could be a stress reaction from the vet trip... I am great with basic husbandry hun. And weird dumb cham knowledge but this area specifically with the protozoa and the meds they gave you is my weak area... It could be the meds but again I have tagged in others. They are the ones I personally would turn to for more assistance.

Im probably gonna get a new cage and throw away all his plants and stuff in his current one.
Ordered him a new cage and getting a bunch of new plants and branches! Also gonna completely disinfect weekly until theres no more parasites. I just got him to take his meds and he drank quite a bit of water. I still cant get him to eat. Is there any way i could mix some bug with his medicine some he gets some nutrition?

Ordered him a new cage and getting a bunch of new plants and branches! Also gonna completely disinfect weekly until theres no more parasites. I just got him to take his meds and he drank quite a bit of water. I still cant get him to eat. Is there any way i could mix some bug with his medicine some he gets some nutrition?
Once the others that I tagged log in they will review your post. I know your a bit freaked out right now. I would hate to see you spend money if you don't have to. :(
Are there any feeders he really likes like hornworms? Sometimes they will go for those over others when they don't feel well.

Once the others that I tagged log in they will review your post. I know your a bit freaked out right now. I would hate to see you spend money if you don't have to. :(
Are there any feeders he really likes like hornworms? Sometimes they will go for those over others when they don't feel well.
He probably needs a new cage anyway, his is a bit wobbly. Yeah he likes horns a lot I just ordered some and theyll be in tomorrow. Got some silkworms also.

He probably needs a new cage anyway, his is a bit wobbly. Yeah he likes horns a lot I just ordered some and theyll be in tomorrow. Got some silkworms also.
I would give the meds separately but you can use this to give the chameleon some nutrition...just be very careful that you don't get either in the chameleons windpipe....
http://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html
Thank you all for the help. This is a great little
community.

My chameleon had bags like that under his eyes and it turned out to be The first part of an upper respatory infection.

Back
Top Bottom