Something possibly in chameleons eye

What did they say he has? Be careful force feeding. Unless he is not eating for a week or two then you have to worry. Just get the meds in. The meds have to be given a certain way as well anything you do that you are giving by mouth you have to aim a certain way so he does not aspirate it. Look and read through this http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html
They gave me Enrofloxacin to use in 0.04 ccs everyday for 14 days. They also gave me Metronidazole to use in 0.2 ccs everyday for 7 days, along with antibiotic ointment for the eye. Ill look into that article.

They gave me Enrofloxacin to use in 0.04 ccs everyday for 14 days. They also gave me Metronidazole to use in 0.2 ccs everyday for 7 days, along with antibiotic ointment for the eye. Ill look into that article.
Read the article and i see what youre talking about. ill avoid that airway.

@Beman said "As far as a supplement reptivite is a good one"...I've used it for years. It has beta carotene...a prOformed source of vitamin A in it...which means it won't build up in the chameleon's system and lead to an overdose...but some chameleons may not be able to convert it and need some prEformed vitamin A (palmitate, retinol, retinyl, etc) so you can keep using it and use another vitamin supplement with a prEformed source in it once in a while instead of the Herptivite or you can buy prEformed vitamin A capsules and just put a TINY bit on an insect once in a while. PrEformed sources will build up in the system and are somewhat antagonistic to vitamin D3 so you want to be careful not to overdo the prEformed sources.
BTW...D3 from supplements can build up too which is why we only use it twice a month and let the chameleon produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB we provide.

Pre the UVB light when was the last time you changed it? Do you always buy the same brand/type?

Regarding the enroll actin and metronidazole....does your chameleon have Tritrichomonas or a flagellated protozoan or giardia?

Last edited:
@Beman said "As far as a supplement reptivite is a good one"...I've used it for years. It has beta carotene...a prOformed source of vitamin A in it...which means it won't build up in the chameleon's system and lead to an overdose...but some chameleons may not be able to convert it and need some prEformed vitamin A (palmitate, retinol, retinyl, etc) so you can keep using it and use another vitamin supplement with a prEformed source in it once in a while instead of the Herptivite or you can buy prEformed vitamin A capsules and just put a TINY bit on an insect once in a while. PrEformed sources will build up in the system and are somewhat antagonistic to vitamin D3 so you want to be careful not to overdo the prEformed sources.
BTW...D3 from supplements can build up too which is why we only use it twice a month and let the chameleon produce the rest of the D3 from its exposure to the UVB we provide.

Pre the UVB light when was the last time you changed it? Do you always buy the same brand/type?

Regarding the enroll actin and metronidazole....does your chameleon have Tritrichomonas or a flagellated protozoan or giardia?
Ive been using the zoomed linear 5.0 UVB. Replaced it a month ago. As far as the medicine the vet just said he has parasites but didnt specify what kind.

No idea without knowing what the parasite is. Chance of reinfection is high if the cage isn't cleaned appropriately, and it's hard to make recommendations without the exact parasite.
Ill call tomorrow and see what the exact parasite. I might just get a whole new cage and re do his enclosure so the chance of reinfection is lower.

Ill call tomorrow and see what the exact parasite. I might just get a whole new cage and re do his enclosure so the chance of reinfection is lower.
You may not have to go to this extreme... Certain parasites are very easy to get rid of but knowing the parasite type or types is how we can help you know what you need to do for cleaning. :)

You may not have to go to this extreme... Certain parasites are very easy to get rid of but knowing the parasite type or types is how we can help you know what you need to do for cleaning. :)
Awesome I’ll log back on tomorrow and let you guys know what kind of parasite it is.

What I'm asking you is did the light get moved to a different position on the cage lid when you changed the bulb?
Ohhh sorry thats my bad. Its the same position as its always been in. Vet said he had some stuck shed in his right eye and they removed it

When i left the vet also
put some gel like in his eye and its still in there this morning. She said hed work
it out himself but i thought it was a little weird.

Couldn't tell you for sure, but it's likely a gel lubricant - OptixCare or similar. Maybe an ointment, but I'd bet on lube. Pretty routine after a vet has been poking around in eyes, and reduces irritation. He'll get it out himself once you give him a nice long misting session to clean his eyes. :)

Couldn't tell you for sure, but it's likely a gel lubricant - OptixCare or similar. Maybe an ointment, but I'd bet on lube. Pretty routine after a vet has been poking around in eyes, and reduces irritation. He'll get it out himself once you give him a nice long misting session to clean his eyes. :)
I called the vet and they said be has protozoa.

Back
Top Bottom