Something possibly in chameleons eye

:( ok I am going to tag people again for you. I have a feeling it may be due to the meds they have him on but as I said this is not my area.
@JacksJill @jannb @Mawtyplant

Ok! Ouch you deal with something here and this is not gonna be easy.. I deal with this this summer and im almost sure you facing the same.. I was able to save 2 of my 4 infected chameleons..

So first.. everything (branches, toys, cage) if you can't boil to kill the parasite you need to put it appart for at least 60 day. (6 months for the dirt or any wet surfaces) be ready to repeat this every 2 week! Cristal clean!

Perso.. I think might be avoided for now, if your vet is closer maybe you can ask for ceftazidine injection (more effective and milder on the kidney.. Baytril anyway is hard on the kidney and many bacterial are resistant to it (interesting talking with vet about this..)

@GoodKarma19
The OP was told that the cham has Protazoa and was given Enrofloxacin to use in .04 cc everyday for 14 days and Mtronidazole .2 cc to use everyday for 7 days.

You will never get rid of this with a single week of treatment (.2 cc for 7 day how many mg of metronidazole per ml? its written in the bottle if its 100mg/ml (check on your bottle) go with a lower dosage (around half.. 0.1cc every day for 5 day then repeat 7 day later for 3 run of 5 day.. after wait 1 month and run a fecal test (at this point.. you should buy a microscope.. 400x protozoa are easy to detect with direct smear.

Question is what is Protazoa and what is the cleaning for the cage that they need to be doing. Also the cham is now sleeping during the day, Will not eat. What do you recommend for the OP to do? Is this a side effect of the medications?

yes especially at this dosage.. its bit high dose for a chameleon and baytril + metronidazole should be harsh.. keep him hydrated ++++ I know this is hard because he will refuse to drink (I will explain you later why he struggle to eat and drink and how to possibly help him
Metronidazol, commonly known as Flagyl can cause nausea so loss of appetite is a possible side effect. Enrofloxacin aka Baytril can effect the kidneys so an effort should be made to maintain hydration.
The cage should be bleached or disinfected during treatment to avoid reinfection. Extreme measures are not called for, disinfect and dry thoroughly. Porous items (branches) may need additional treatment or possibly replacement.

listen him ;)

this is the eye the vet flushed and hes keeping it closed more so now than ever

actually I don't think the eyes is your biggest concern

Spitting the food out probably isnt a good sign...

So! definitely no, I notice on the picture Botton of the mouth is inflamed so im ready to bet the throats, tongue and gastric region is inflamed I got the exact same problem with kind of white matter inside the mouth (look like canker in pigeon take a look here please https://pigeonvitality.com/trichomoniasis-canker/ after, open your chameleon mouth and push the chin where the tongue is suppose to be (you want to look under the tongue so by pushing here you will be able to see the tongue region (I can make you a video if its hard to understand)

Please let me know if there some inflammation of white cream stuff surrounding the mouth, neck lips etc

if yes its not too late but you will have to force water in with catheter (because if its inflamed you need to hydrate him)

(don't know if all this is clear.. im French speaker so don't hesitate to ask me for clarification)

(also.. for the meds.. I know im not vet.. so feel free to avoid my recommendation and stick to the vet recommendation I will understand he might be ok to handle such dose but to my point of view this is overkill ;)

listen him ;)

actually I don't think the eyes is your biggest concern

So! definitely no, I notice on the picture Botton of the mouth is inflamed so im ready to bet the throats, tongue and gastric region is inflamed I got the exact same problem with kind of white matter inside the mouth (look like canker in pigeon take a look here please https://pigeonvitality.com/trichomoniasis-canker/ after, open your chameleon mouth and push the chin where the tongue is suppose to be (you want to look under the tongue so by pushing here you will be able to see the tongue region (I can make you a video if its hard to understand)

Please let me know if there some inflammation of white cream stuff surrounding the mouth, neck lips etc

if yes its not too late but you will have to force water in with catheter (because if its inflamed you need to hydrate him)

(don't know if all this is clear.. im French speaker so don't hesitate to ask me for clarification)

(also.. for the meds.. I know im not vet.. so feel free to avoid my recommendation and stick to the vet recommendation I will understand he might be ok to handle such dose but to my point of view this is overkill ;)
Hes currently asleep but ill look for the canker youre talking about tomorrow. Im gonna call the vet tomorrow and update her as to whats going on and talk about the medications. Very stressed right now. Just want him to be okay

Hes currently asleep but ill look for the canker youre talking about tomorrow. Im gonna call the vet tomorrow and update her as to whats going on and talk about the medications. Very stressed right now. Just want him to be okay

I feel you..

Keep him with low temperatures tonight.. (17 if possible?) give a break to the system

when was your last medication dosage?
Also! if you can put him under natural sunlight tomorrow this make true miracle

I feel you..

Keep him with low temperatures tonight.. (17 if possible?) give a break to the system

when was your last medication dosage?
Also! if you can put him under natural sunlight tomorrow this make true miracle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 92
this is the medicine hes taking. Enrofloxacin says its 20mg/ml and Metronidazole is 50mg/ml. I give the enrofloxacin daily at 0.04 ccs and the metro daily at .2 ccs. I unforutanately cant take him outside as its too cold.

this is the medicine hes taking. Enrofloxacin says its 20mg/ml and Metronidazole is 50mg/ml. I give the enrofloxacin daily at 0.04 ccs and the metro daily at .2 ccs.
ahhh! ok :) so .2 ccs of metro is ok (normal dosage is 100mg1ml so I was anxious about this:) 50mg/ml is ok for .2ccs :)

The metronidazole only is ok and chameleon usually tolerate it well.. the problem sometime is the parasite don't like to be killed.. so the react and your chameleon paying the price of such genocide

this is the medicine hes taking. Enrofloxacin says its 20mg/ml and Metronidazole is 50mg/ml. I give the enrofloxacin daily at 0.04 ccs and the metro daily at .2 ccs. I unforutanately cant take him outside as its too cold. His last dose was today at 4. Hes on his fourth day of medication

@Mawtyplant said..."The problem sometime is the parasite don't like to be killed.. so the react and your chameleon paying the price of such genocide".... I think you're exactly right!

ahhh! ok :) so .2 ccs of metro is ok (normal dosage is 100mg1ml so I was anxious about this:) 50mg/ml is ok for .2ccs :)

The metronidazole only is ok and chameleon usually tolerate it well.. the problem sometime is the parasite don't like to be killed.. so the react and your chameleon paying the price of such genocide
So dont use the enrofloxacin?

@Mawtyplant said..."The problem sometime is the parasite don't like to be killed.. so the react and your chameleon paying the price of such genocide".... I think you're exactly right!

I'm always right (insert funky face just right here :p ) :cool:
So dont use the enrofloxacin?

perso.. I avoid it (and preferred to use stuff like ceftazidine) Because I don't think using baytril in absence of infection is useful.. but increase your vitamines and calcium cause to my experience, such parasite also encourage some deficiency (malabsorption of nutriment)

i also used Manuka honey and I find it help on the recovery phase, maybe its ok maybe not

(again, side note, im not vet, all of this is based on my experience and since I speculated on what protozoaire you dealing with I might be totally wrong)

I'm always right (insert funky face just right here :p ) :cool:

perso.. I avoid it (and preferred to use stuff like ceftazidine) Because I don't think using baytril in absence of infection is useful.. but increase your vitamines and calcium cause to my experience, such parasite also encourage some deficiency (malabsorption of nutriment)

i also used Manuka honey and I find it help on the recovery phase, maybe its ok maybe not

(again, side note, im not vet, all of this is based on my experience and since I speculated on what protozoaire you dealing with I might be totally wrong)
Well im gonna make bug juice with some calcium and vitamins in it tomorrow to get him some nutrients. He hasnt had a good meal
in about two weeks now. Also gonna call
my vet and see what she has to say... Thank you for the advice

Well im gonna make bug juice with some calcium and vitamins in it tomorrow to get him some nutrients. He hasnt had a good meal
in about two weeks now. Also gonna call
my vet and see what she has to say... Thank you for the advice
Good! make yourself sure to avoir airway.. because with all the inflammation it might be tricky to just drop liquid in

Good! make yourself sure to avoir airway.. because with all the inflammation it might be tricky to just drop liquid in
Im gonna do it while he drinks and slowly drop
it on his tongue. I know where the trachea is and have been administiring his meds to him. Ive had panthers in the past and had to give meds to one of my big males, so im fairly familiar with it... He lived to be 6 years old. Hoping this guy can also pull through.

Back
Top Bottom