Some Questions on Dubia Roaches

Sammag

I was reading online about dubias as i wish to start a colony to feed to my leopard geckos and my panther chameleon (which i have yet to acquire) and a few questions cameacross my mind. If you guys could answer them thatd be great.

1.I plan to use one of those large plastic bins commonly sold in walmart (rubbermaid and such) and I was wondering how big of a cotainer to use?

2. How many roaches should i get to start a colony to feed 7 geckos and a cham? (Keep in mind i will also use crickets and supers in both animals diets) and what ratio (male to female) should I aim for?

3. As i understand it, it is important to keep the roach tank heated so they reproduce. I figured on uisng an under the tank heating pad to place under my container to raise the temp. However one online source stated not to use such a heating method with plastic bins. I assume this is so the plstic dosnt melt. Has anyone used such a heating method on a plastic bin with success? Can i use it? If not what method should i implement?

-Thanks in advance

Sam

Using the search button would solve your questions.

Any big size rubbermaid is fine. you will want atleast 200 to get started with about 10 adults of each of you plan on feeding that many.

Well ya see I have used the search functions but i cant seem to find definte answers in regard to the plastic bin and the under the tank heater. I actually did find the other answers though.:D

I use a heating pad. Just make sure that you don't get one that automatically goes off after an hour.

I was reading online about dubias as i wish to start a colony to feed to my leopard geckos and my panther chameleon (which i have yet to acquire) and a few questions cameacross my mind. If you guys could answer them thatd be great.

1.I plan to use one of those large plastic bins commonly sold in walmart (rubbermaid and such) and I was wondering how big of a cotainer to use?

2. How many roaches should i get to start a colony to feed 7 geckos and a cham? (Keep in mind i will also use crickets and supers in both animals diets) and what ratio (male to female) should I aim for?

3. As i understand it, it is important to keep the roach tank heated so they reproduce. I figured on uisng an under the tank heating pad to place under my container to raise the temp. However one online source stated not to use such a heating method with plastic bins. I assume this is so the plstic dosnt melt. Has anyone used such a heating method on a plastic bin with success? Can i use it? If not what method should i implement?

-Thanks in advance

Sam

Get as big a bin as you can have... what fits your allotted space. Then, go from there.

The more roaches you start with, the faster your colony will grow. Don't cull your roaches until you have more than what you need (unless you're picking off a few males to keep their population down a bit). Once your colony is established, you can begin culling the appropriate sizes. Leave the large females and at least 3-5 males. This works for me... I'm sure others have varying advice.

I use an under the container heat pad. However, it did warp the plastic a little. Not a big deal to me, but something you should keep an eye on. I have my roaches on a wire shelf so the heat is dissipated a bit... still gets plenty warm inside the bin.

Leave them alone. Give them plenty of food (dog and cat food works great, but I wouldn't feed those roaches gut-loaded with that food to your chamies necessarily), lots of vegetables and I use Ryan Jasroek's water crystals.

Use egg crates, but stand them up so the feces and debris falls to the bottom of the cage.

I found all the information I needed on the web... there are lots of people sharing information on caring for dubias out there. Take a gander...

https://www.chameleonforums.com/dubia-roaches-4892/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/roach-breeding-tip-13348/index2.html

Attachments

• IMG_5332.jpg
    IMG_5332.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5333.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5334.jpg
    IMG_5334.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5335.jpg
    IMG_5335.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 127
the size already pictured is a good one, its roughly, 21 L x 16 deep x 16 tall you will need to cut a hole or two ( i have 3 - 3x6"holes in mine) one at each end towards the top and and one in the lid, use hot melt to cover with aluminum screen .you can get a complete roach colony complete with starter food, furniture, care sheet, and aluminum screen for $50, if you want to start feeding right away , i would get an extra 200 feeder size, this is a popular question and if you search threads or posts there is a wealth of information on dubia and their care, besides what you will find in this thread

I have used the search feature and am still curious, where is the best place to get everything .....from silk worms, hornworms, butterworms, crickets, and roaches? I want to get them all at one place w/o spending a fortune. Shipping costs makes the bill get really high.

Allright guys thanks for all the info on the Dubias, cant wait to get my colony up and running. So correct me if im wrong I should gutload with vegetables and fruits for chams? Or is that one of the things you said not to use? Also glad to hear I can use an under the tank heater.

Im thinkin bout getting a 33 gallon rubbermaid (which i plan to cut a hole in the lid and cover in mesh to ventiate) with egg crate, vegetables and fruits, water crystals, the heater, and 150 mixed dubias and 10 adult pairs to start.

Sound good thus far?

Allright guys thanks for all the info on the Dubias, cant wait to get my colony up and running. So correct me if im wrong I should gutload with vegetables and fruits for chams? Or is that one of the things you said not to use? Also glad to hear I can use an under the tank heater.

Im thinkin bout getting a 33 gallon rubbermaid (which i plan to cut a hole in the lid and cover in mesh to ventiate) with egg crate, vegetables and fruits, water crystals, the heater, and 150 mixed dubias and 10 adult pairs to start.

Sound good thus far?

Roaches aren't difficult... just keep them warm and you should have no problems. This isn't rocket science (thank goodness).

I mentioned a difference between dog/cat food and other foods because the dog/cat food is high in protein and the roaches seem to really grow quickly eating it. I'd rather grow the colony up quickly on that staple and switch to veggies, fruits, cricket crack, etc... before feeding them to the chameleons. Once the colony is established what you feed your roaches is what your chameleon will be eating.

I don't think you can go wrong... they are roaches. They will eat just about anything.

Keep them warm, dark, and fed. They will do the rest.

I expect updates on your colony! :)

http://www.nyworms.com/dubiacare.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaptica_dubia

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bandung/roaches/dubiacare.html

Thanks for your help, I usually get my crickets from ghanns cricket farm and then use mullberry farms for the silk worms, horn worms, and roaches, but it is just so expensive. Any cheaper alternatives?

Why not a Dubia colony?:D Money is the main reason im doing it and the second part is that i hate trying to keep crickets long term so ive just gotten used to buying a weeksworth and going back for more which not only costs money but alot of time as well. I hope the dubia colon will save me both of those things. Though i still plan to use crickets and supers. A little vriation in animals diets is a good thing.

Agreed my friend, I may start a colony. I spend way too much money on feeders. I have to come up w/ a better solution. Thanks for your input. Your rock!

Back
Top Bottom