Breeding Dubia Roach

DubiaCricket

Hey everyone!

New member so I'm sorry if this should be posted somewhere else.

I have a bin that's going to be used for a roach colony (117x45x55) cm.. it's all I have unfortunately.

Hopefully that should give me enough roaches for my BD & Cham.

The problem I have is the only place I can put the bin is in my garden room. Which has no heating, and currently sitting at +3C.

If I put 2 heat mats underneath either side..and leave the middle of the bin for food & water. Would this be suitable? Or is the room temp that cold the heat mats won't keep the enclosure hot enough?

I know you all know more than me with Dubia's..so I'm all ears!

Last edited:
@jamest0o0 will hopefully hop on and be able to help. Until his expert advice, I would advise putting the heat mats on the side of the bin. They need some air to circulate around them and if you aren’t using a thermostat, some mats can get really hot. I would also give them some sort of substrate that can almost act as insulation, such as leaf litter. I wouldn’t be expecting them to be breeding much until things warm up.

@jamest0o0 will hopefully hop on and be able to help. Until his expert advice, I would advise putting the heat mats on the side of the bin. They need some air to circulate around them and if you aren’t using a thermostat, some mats can get really hot. I would also give them some sort of substrate that can almost act as insulation, such as leaf litter. I wouldn’t be expecting them to be breeding much until things warm up.
Thank you ill wait for @jamest0o0 .

I also did have a crazy idea.. I have enough height in the bin (around 10cm ish) between the egg crate and the top.

I did consider building a wooden frame with a hinge and bolt it to the lid. Then place 2 heat mates on the wooden frame. I can lower or higher the frame when needed?

Does the above sound crazy or a decent idea. I have all the wood anyway 😃

They are not going to nook nook if its below 21c. And its really not going kick it up a notch till 32c.

You might be better off putting the tub in a cooler, and putting a pad under the tub inside the cooler.

They are not going to nook nook if its below 21c. And its really not going kick it up a notch till 32c.

You might be better off putting the tub in a cooler, and putting a pad under the tub inside the cooler.
Ah I see, I mean the garden room is almost a cooler at this time of year in UK Lincolnshire 😅

Back
Top Bottom