Solarmeter Curious

regal81455

Established Member
So I recently purchased a brand new solarmeter 6.5r for peace of mind. Kinda glad I did. The levels of UVB were less on the brand new arcadia 6% bulbs I have then what most seem to be seeing. I was getting readings around 1.5-2 at 8" below his basking branch. This is after I switched from fiberglass screening to aluminum on top of the enclosure.

With all that being said; it became clear to me that even though the 6% at 8" above while sitting directly on top of screen is a great guideline; not all bulbs, mesh, enclosures, etc.. are ever going to be really the same and so it's really a crap shoot in my opinion without one. Soooooo.....

Since I have this meter and surely others would benefit from one I'm considering a possibility of providing it as a loaner tool ( like auto parts stores ). I was thinking, in my mind, it would be fair to ask a small fee ( $20-25 ) to "rent" it with a fully refundable deposit of say $75-100 once it's received back in working condition. Renter would be responsible for shipping costs both to and from.

When all is said and done I would think the end cost for the renter would be about $50 +/-

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else ever tried or considered this here?

So I recently purchased a brand new solarmeter 6.5r for peace of mind. Kinda glad I did. The levels of UVB were less on the brand new arcadia 6% bulbs I have then what most seem to be seeing. I was getting readings around 1.5-2 at 8" below his basking branch. This is after I switched from fiberglass screening to aluminum on top of the enclosure.

With all that being said; it became clear to me that even though the 6% at 8" above while sitting directly on top of screen is a great guideline; not all bulbs, mesh, enclosures, etc.. are ever going to be really the same and so it's really a crap shoot in my opinion without one. Soooooo.....

Since I have this meter and surely others would benefit from one I'm considering a possibility of providing it as a loaner tool ( like auto parts stores ). I was thinking, in my mind, it would be fair to ask a small fee ( $20-25 ) to "rent" it with a fully refundable deposit of say $75-100 once it's received back in working condition. Renter would be responsible for shipping costs both to and from.

When all is said and done I would think the end cost for the renter would be about $50 +/-

While the idea is quite admirable, and I do very much love our community, I would be reluctant about doing this with my own solarmeter or any other expensive piece of gear. There are some members who I wouldn’t hesitate to trust, but too many that I just really don‘t know well enough.

Yeah fiberglass really reduces. With aluminum screen and a single bulb t5ho fixture with 6% or 5.0 bulb, fixture set directly on the screen then measure 8-9 inches down for the closest branch a 3-4UVI. Branch new bulbs have a burn in period as well. They start out a higher UVI then one that has been used for 2-3 weeks. At that point if you check with a solarmeter you should see the same results.

However fixture type, reflector type, bulb type, and screen greatly impact UVI output. So if someone is following the standards then the rule of thumb will work for them.

I think it is a great idea but I dunno if I would risk it. Not everyone is ethical or honest.

I would in a heartbeat help a friend use the meter, but to rent out is just a risk I couldn't take. Ideally it's an essential tool that can help you save money buying uvb bulbs prematurely. Worth it for every keeper.

I'm not overly worried about the "risk" - I can cover that in the fee / deposit structure. Guess my background in highway / industrial construction makes me less adverse to "renting" out equipment. We own / operate heavy const. equipment with values ranging up to $150K; and they get rented out without worry so a $200 meter isn't really that big of a deal.

Guess my post was more so about the fee/deposit structure more than anything else. Trying to gauge whether the costs I listed above seem reasonable to someone whom might be interested in it and if there is even any interest in the 1st place lol.

I think its a great idea, not everyone can afford a solar meter, even though it is an important tool in our hobby. 50 bucks is a lot better than 250.

That's funny, cuz I had the exact same thought when I first got mine, never pursued the thought tho. I still think it's a great idea, maybe around 25 plus shipping. I feel 50 is abit high. But that's just my 2 cents.

Instead of loaning it I offer my service to locals I’ll come and check them myself for a small fee. I Wouldn’t want to send my meter around in the mail to different people.

At that price point you might as well just get one of the $35-50 ones from amazon that are only +-.1 less accurate than the solar meter. You only need to get it in the ballpark of 3.0 at the basking spot on the high side. The cham would be fine at even 1.0-1.5, which is what the bulb will be at around 20-30 months old. The meter is kinda only needed so you dont end up at 4-5 uvi at the basking branch so they dont end up with non terrestrial levels, or you dont have a gradient so the poor cham is stuck with 4 or nothing vs 3.5-0.5.

Instead of loaning it I offer my service to locals I’ll come and check them myself for a small fee. I Wouldn’t want to send my meter around in the mail to different people.

Thats what i do. I got 3-4 reptile folk. Gotta new turtle and want to verify the setup and a check up of the rest of the tanks, 20 bucks. Pays for itself in one trip cuz now you know you dont have to replace the bulbs for at least another six months :)

Thats what i do. I got 3-4 reptile folk. Gotta new turtle and want to verify the setup and a check up of the rest of the tanks, 20 bucks. Pays for itself in one trip cuz now you know you dont have to replace the bulbs for at least another six months :)
Exactly what I charge too. Surprised no one has wanted my service.

Seems the idea is good in theory but maybe between the risk and the actual demand it isn't as plausible as I had originally thought. Guess I need to take a step back and ponder on the subject some more.

I think most people do not understand the real importance of UVB. They get something and toss it on top and say its good. You will find your keepers that take it super serious have bought one already. With that being said I am sure if you posted the option to "rent" one in the classifieds you would get people interested in this option.

Back
Top Bottom