Solarmeter

chamimom

Do solarmeters ever need recalibrated? Mine worked when it came, but now it's telling me that every single one of the UVB bulbs, from three different packages, are not putting out enough UVB. I have four beardies and my chameleon, and it's giving me the same reading for all of them.

Do solarmeters ever need recalibrated? Mine worked when it came, but now it's telling me that every single one of the UVB bulbs, from three different packages, are not putting out enough UVB. I have four beardies and my chameleon, and it's giving me the same reading for all of them.
Either you have one of the most bizarre coincidences or something is wrong with your solarmeter. Might not help, but maybe try a new battery. Have you gone outside with it to see what reading it gives the sunlight? As far as I know, they don’t get recalibrated. Maybe reach out to the company that made it. If it’s newer and you have some proof of purchase, it may be under warranty still.

2 variables here IMO.

Highly unlikely that NONE of your bulbs are good.

1) The solar meter itself isn't working

2) Your UVB bulb fixture isn't working properly. If that's possible. Obviously the lights are turning on. But is there something going on to where it's not providing enough power for the lights to actually give off UVB?

That's what I'd be wondering. If there is a way for you to get your hands on another fixture, I'd try that, using each of your bulbs again on the different fixture.

2 variables here IMO.

Highly unlikely that NONE of your bulbs are good.

1) The solar meter itself isn't working

2) Your UVB bulb fixture isn't working properly. If that's possible. Obviously the lights are turning on. But is there something going on to where it's not providing enough power for the lights to actually give off UVB?

That's what I'd be wondering. If there is a way for you to get your hands on another fixture, I'd try that, using each of your bulbs again on the different fixture.
Thanks. I have a different fixture for each creature's enclosure, so I doubt it's the fixture. The last time I had this problem, it was with the same type of solarmeter after I had just gotten it (It was over $200), and it was doing the same thing. I returned it and got this one, and it worked and read the new bulbs to be putting out what would be expected. But now, a year later, it's doing the same thing the last one did, I think. I got it off of Amazon. Any suggestions for brands or anything?

Thanks. I have a different fixture for each creature's enclosure, so I doubt it's the fixture. The last time I had this problem, it was with the same type of solarmeter after I had just gotten it (It was over $200), and it was doing the same thing. I returned it and got this one, and it worked and read the new bulbs to be putting out what would be expected. But now, a year later, it's doing the same thing the last one did, I think. I got it off of Amazon. Any suggestions for brands or anything?
Ah ok I was under the impression you were using different bulbs on 1 fixture. Are these bulbs a year old as well? If so your answer is likely that the bulbs have worn to where they need to be replaced.

And/or you are having the same issues with the solarmeter. I am personally just using Arcadia fixture+bulb for UVB, and for my plant light, I went with this Vivarium set (which you can actually use for UVB too, you just obviously have to replace the bulb it comes with, with a UVB.)

https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/t5-uvb-light-fixture

Ah ok I was under the impression you were using different bulbs on 1 fixture. Are these bulbs a year old as well? If so your answer is likely that the bulbs have worn to where they need to be replaced.

And/or you are having the same issues with the solarmeter. I am personally just using Arcadia fixture+bulb for UVB, and for my plant light, I went with this Vivarium set (which you can actually use for UVB too, you just obviously have to replace the bulb it comes with, with a UVB.)

https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/fixtures/products/t5-uvb-light-fixture
The bulbs are all brand new. I have all vivarium fixtures, too. I think it must be the solarmeter. I will have to look into the vwarranty.

Oh, ok, so sometimes they DO need recalibrated?

I dont think they are going to drift much. I have mine from 2011ish, and it still reads real sunlight at noon the same as it does when new.

However you "never know".
But solar meter "cals them" the same way. They expose it to a known source and makes sure it reads i believe within 20%.

So i do the same thing. I know that noon sun in summer should be 6.5 in my area. If its reading 4 or 9 or something way off, there is no point of using it to test my bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom