So tired of these threads..

ChappyMcChap

But here is another poor neglected Cham at petsmart. Talked to the manager and the reptile manager trying to get them to fix it, they insisted corporate makes them set up cages like this. I was pissed, but kept my cool even in the face of the managers blatant condescension. Oh really guy you're an expert on every animal that walks through the door? Anyways, he looked fairly healthy but he was hiding in the farthest coolest corner. I go there regularly so he is new. This shit should be illegal.
95B5B495.jpg

That's right, a 50 watt basking bulb and reflector inside the enclosure. Bark chips, a thermometer reading 100+ that apparently doesn't work. A water bowl but they said they mist? Then what's the damn bowl for? Non dusted full size crickets for a juvie. No screen cages or proper care manuals offered. They had a spot where care manuals would be but there were none. The guy wouldnt and said he couldn't fix my concerns so I spent the better part of an hour on the phone with a person voicing my concerns who assured me it would be fixed and I would be contacted. Let's hope so. I want to buy him, but he's $139.99 and we all know there will just be another one. I hope some poor sap doesn't take it home and set it up like that. Animal cruelty here folks, nothing less. Like putting a dog in an aquarium.

Yep I seen these baby veiled at a petco here in San diego and they had a lil bowl full of mealworms. I told the manager about how its difficult for these baby veileds to digest the exoskeleton of the worms and he said corporate make them feed them that. I told him if gave him $ on the side can he put the smallest mealworms in there and he said a smart remark to me. I wanted to kick his ass (but of course I grew out of that mentality)but still ay least I thought of doing that for the lil veileds. Oh well.

That is heartbreaking. If that temp guage is by any chance working, 100 degrees is way way too hot for a Jackson. Please let us know if you hear anything back from these guys.

I saw a poor little female panther just like that (up against a branch like that, bowl with water in it, no space to walk around, ect.) at PetCo.

Just heart breaking! :(

I almost started crying. I would have bought her but my mom wouldn't let me:mad:.

I know my commercial employees so well cause I kill a lot of time there I help my self and move stuff around and add and take out! I got that but corporate said we have to do it this way. I said so what if corprte told u to kill a baby. I said turn a blind eye I will buy anything I stick in there :)

Yesterday I was at pet smart getting crickets, the guy asked what I was feeding to and I said chameleon he was like cool we just got one in (jackson) and I went to go look... It was wrong! There was NO water source, and looked like the one in the picture...

im sure they will be going out of buisness eventually..or at least quit carrying reptiles..i cant see how they sell enough before thy all die from mis-keeping..for instance i went to one to get some crickets ( a friend was watching my breeding bins when i was gone..well..didnt go well..so (the lll-reptile by my place is extreamly lazy with hours they dont open untill 11:00 am then close earlie..i dont understand why such lazy hours) so i had to go down the street for crickets, i went to get about 150 of them expecting it to be like 7-12 bucks..they said total comes to $26.50..i laughed and said you must have something wrong..seriously, i dont know anyone that could afford to even feed my chams if i had to pay that everytime..thats literally insane!!!

petco

petsmart

ROT IN HELL!!!!

The sad thing is I see new people posting their enclosures here saying "what do you think?" that look just as bad...

true but at least they came here to ask, and since they dont have coperate telling them "whatever they say to do and fix, dont because we are always right anyway, even if WE know its wrong"

so at least there can be a good ending here..i cant say the same about

petslaughter (petsmart)

or petkill (petco)

I'll try and get hooked up with some local humane societies and attempt to get petsmart charged with animal abuse. It is completely and totally unacceptable. I won't stand by and let it happen.

Not a bad idea. Perhaps I could get the humane society to help me out if I promise them the proceeds. Do you think I could get some of you from Chameleon forums to commute to wherever a trial would take place so you could act as witnesses to petsmarts cruelty?

maybe you could sue the sh** out of them, then put the proceeds towards a humane society (for reptiles especially) ...:)

This is exactly what is wrong with people!

Sue them! Your limited understanding of life is astounding!

You see, petco, petsmart employee young usually unskilled labor to fill their positions. The kind off people who love animals but just don't know much( sound familiar). The kind of people who will do the very minimum to get the job done. What you see there is a reflection of what happens here on a daily basis.

Act first then ask questions....

Don't read, just have someone else do the work.

Many of the minimum wage employees do exactly what many here do. They don't read. They don't understand what they are doing because they just want a quick result. A basic result. In this case, just put the lizard in a cage without any understanding.

If you want results, have a protest outside the store with good example of how it's done.

You act like you're all big and super knowledgable by threatening a suit but your suggestion is absolutely inadequate to the challenge of corporate change. Their lawyers wil chew you up, spit you out and then counter sue.

How did that help your cause?

This is exactly what is wrong with people!

Sue them! Your limited understanding of life is astounding!

You see, petco, petsmart employee young usually unskilled labor to fill their positions. The kind off people who love animals but just don't know much( sound familiar). The kind of people who will do the very minimum to get the job done. What you see there is a reflection of what happens here on a daily basis.

Act first then ask questions....

Don't read, just have someone else do the work.

Many of the minimum wage employees do exactly what many here do. They don't read. They don't understand what they are doing because they just want a quick result. A basic result. In this case, just put the lizard in a cage without any understanding.

If you want results, have a protest outside the store with good example of how it's done.

You act like you're all big and super knowledgable by threatening a suit but your suggestion is absolutely inadequate to the challenge of corporate change. Their lawyers wil chew you up, spit you out and then counter sue.

How did that help your cause?

Wow. You really understand how stuff gets done. I'm impressed. :)

So how should I go about with my protest? I'll start there like you suggested. Maybe I can eventually buy a cham that they have there that is obviously in poor health and take it to a vet to all a whole array of tests done to prove the sickness is there. Then I'll keep it in my care for some time and have tests done again to show my care is superior to their techniques and my care methods are what's needed for the animal. That'll be my evidence. How you YOU personally go about all of this? Maybe we could start a petition without a lawsuit.

I protest and vote with my wallet.

Pet smart and petco, have the highest prices, minimal quality, poor service and an uneducated staff so I never shop there. Instead I take my hard earned money and spend it in locally owned shops where the turn over in employees is much lower, the owners are not managers, therefore they actually care, and they sell quality products and feeders that aren't usually available at the chain stores.

Take "light your reptiles" for example, service is excellent, knowledgable, competitive prices. Why would anyone ever buy a light from the big boys when someone like Todd will exceed your expectations versus the crap from brand X.

VERY good point. From now on, I wont spend another dime at petsmart. I'll try and set up a protest in front of their store next weekend. Should I inform their staff that I'll be doing this? I'll bring my chameleon and his set-up with me to SHOW what they need. I'll also print out hundreds of Jacksons and veiled chameleon care sheets. I'll start out by just bringing them bad publicity.

Back
Top Bottom