So tired of these threads..

I'll be protesting PetSmart, not PetCo.

I need to be prepared for the media or I'll be blown off completely. I'll start with something catchy. "In my honest opinion, PetSmarts treatment of many of their reptiles is in no way any less of a violation of animal rights than what Michael Vick did to so many pitbulls in 2008. The difference is: How long it takes the animal victim to die."

I'll go on about how their care is improper and set at a corporate level, so not only is this tragedy going on at a local level, but in thousands of locations nationwide.
I'll explain just what's required in chameleon husbandry, and exactly what PetSmart is NOT doing for their animals.
I'll give some firsthand accounts of witnessing sick animals due to improper care, complete with times, dates and pictures.

I want to take them down at a local level even if I can't change their policy.

I'll be protesting PetSmart, not PetCo.

I need to be prepared for the media or I'll be blown off completely. I'll start with something catchy. "In my honest opinion, PetSmarts treatment of many of their reptiles is in no way any less of a violation of animal rights than what Michael Vick did to so many pitbulls in 2008. The difference is: How long it takes the animal victim to die."

I'll go on about how their care is improper and set at a corporate level, so not only is this tragedy going on at a local level, but in thousands of locations nationwide.
I'll explain just what's required in chameleon husbandry, and exactly what PetSmart is NOT doing for their animals.
I'll give some firsthand accounts of witnessing sick animals due to improper care, complete with times, dates and pictures.

I want to take them down at a local level even if I can't change their policy.

DONT FORGET TO MENTION US!!!!:) well sign or find a way to get our names on a paper that shows how many chameleon keepers are pissed off about that

If someone could type something up and have EVERYONE sign it, I'll print it out and bring it with me to show the reporters just how many people support my cause.

As has already been mentioned, you are dealing with a huge national corporation that has to make sure all their stores across the country are set up as well as possible. Because they are not hiring highly trained zoo keepers but typically relying on teenagers and managers who probably have only a couple pets at home, they have to have rules about how all their animals are set up and cared for to avoid issues with well meaning employees who think they know more than they do making decisions that aren't actually in the best interest of the animals. The result is that the people who run these individual stores have very little say in how animals are set up at their store.

Also, the last thing the pet, and in particular, the reptile industry needs is a couple kids who think they are doing the right thing to encourage animal rights groups to go after the largest pet store chains in the country claiming they are intentionally involved in animal cruelty, for those kids protesting and getting on the news claiming the same, or for those kids starting a mass email/petition champaign. The setups they use may not ideal for chameleons, some of the chameleons they get might not be in the best conditions, and their employees may not be taking the best care of all their animals, but the corporation is trying to ensure sufficient and consistent care by having the rules they do. The right way to respond to this is to write a letter to the manager and corporate office with your thoughts and recommendations, and then not to buy from them.

At any rate, it is very frustrating seeing chameleons in pet stores and not be in the best setup or not being in great shape, but there are rational and helpful ways to address it and then there is pointless, childish, and useless, if not more damaging, means. Unfortunately most of what has been suggested in this thread are the latter.

Chris

Last edited:
As has already been mentioned, you are dealing with a huge national corporation that has to make sure all their stores across the country are set up as well as possible. Because they are not hiring highly trained zoo keepers but typically relying on teenagers and managers who probably have only a couple pets at home, they have to have rules about how all their animals are set up and cared for to avoid issues with well meaning employees who think they know more than they do making decisions that aren't actually in the best interest of the animals. The result is that the people who run these individual stores have very little say in how animals are set up at their store.

Also, the last thing the pet, and in particular, the reptile industry needs is a couple kids who think they are doing the right thing to encourage animal rights groups to go after the largest pet store chains in the country claiming they are intentionally involved in animal cruelty, for those kids protesting and getting on the news claiming the same, or for those kids starting a mass email/petition champaign. The setups they use may not ideal for chameleons, some of the chameleons they get might not be in the best conditions, and their employees may not be taking the best care of all their animals, but the corporation is trying to ensure sufficient and consistent care by having the rules they do. The right way to respond to this is to write a letter to the manager and corporate office with your thoughts and recommendations, and then not to buy from them.

At any rate, it is very frustrating seeing chameleons in pet stores and not be in the best setup or not being in great shape, but there are rational and helpful ways to address it and then there is pointless, childish, and useless, if not more damaging, means. Unfortunately most of what has been suggested in this thread are the latter.

Chris

thanks for replying chris

Chris

Where is the "like" button for this?

Chris

You are absolutely correct in everything you say here. I stand by my suggestion as the most rational way to address the issue if enough people care to support it.

An emotional protest waving your arms in the air yelling look at me will ump you with the likes of PETA and leave you ignored if not scorned by the general population.

In the case of the large chain stores they all have mission statements involving how wonderful they treat animals and when it comes to cats and dogs Petsmart really is top notch and Petco isn't far behind.

It is my firm belief that a professional letter pointing out the issues and providing correct care information would be the most successful; however, this would not work with the majority of the people on this site. It would absolutely require people who have credentials (such as yourself) to lend their name to the endeavor and support it with endorsing the care information provided at the very least.

Again, you're right. The more kids who scream foul and get the leach like animal rights groups who would love to see the pet industry destroyed will hurt the hobby as whole. But a few knowledgeable and experienced keepers dedicated to getting the chain stores to distribute and practice good care will leave far more people happy with chameleons and allow the hobby to grow.

I'm willing to assist in a letter writing campaign only if it is conducted professionally because I will not waste my time to just make people mad.

Finally I do recommend people contact the SPCA when they are dealing with a small store and the owner refuses to cooperate or care. This is not an organization known for screaming and is not an anti pet organization. It is an anti cruelty organisation.

All I want is to make the corporation increase their standards for Chameleon care. I know that individual managers have no power over the care of the animals which is why I wanted to send a message to corporate and then just ensure that nobody buys the chameleons locally. The protest would just be to keep local people from adding money to this injustice. A letter would be to take action. Do you really think either of these actions could hurt the reptile industry? If so, I will refrain from doing this if enough people agree. The corporation may have the best intentions for the animals, but they are not successfully keeping chameleons. I'd just like to make sure that they address the issue and sending a mass email seems like the best way to get their attention. I wont start the email since I don't have enough experience doing things such as this, but I'll definitely support anybody who does.

Thanks for your concern and I really have thought about what you've said. I'll tone things down for sure.

By protest, I did not mean yelling and screaming. I meant a quiet table with my own chameleon and set-up with proper care sheets available, and evidence that PetSmart does not follow all of those guidelines. I'd print out a letter that one of you draft and try and get people to sign it before mailing it to PetSmart corporation. I would not make it an emotional mess, and I'd just include facts in my "protest."

By protest, I did not mean yelling and screaming. I meant a quiet table with my own chameleon and set-up with proper care sheets available, and evidence that PetSmart does not follow all of those guidelines. I'd print out a letter that one of you draft and try and get people to sign it before mailing it to PetSmart corporation. I would not make it an emotional mess, and I'd just include facts in my "protest."

And frankly that particular strategy might be required as a last resort.

It IS an emotional issue for many which is why it can sometimes be difficult to do the right thing. Immediate action will always seem preferable when your emotions get involved. Making a big stink might not be necessary.

Heck, not 5 hours ago I complained at the local herp store about the way they were handling dart frogs. They disregarded me so I'm going to write the owner and go talk to him if that gets disregarded. The issue wasn't even major but it would keep me from buying one of their frogs and they have some I really like.

The thing is I know the owner of this store really does care about the animals. I also know that the Executives at the chainn pet stores have an obligation to at least pretend to care about the animals and can't ignore a legitimate and well backed complaint. They can ignore anyone that can be disregarded as a crack pot.

As far as Animal Rights Groups hurting the cham keeping hobby. these are many of the people who try to push legislation to ban keeping exotic animals, ban imports for no good reason, and all in all have an ethical backing different from those of us who like to keep animals as pets. This in public only adds fuel to their agenda to stop pet ownership period.

And frankly that particular strategy might be required as a last resort.

It IS an emotional issue for many which is why it can sometimes be difficult to do the right thing. Immediate action will always seem preferable when your emotions get involved. Making a big stink might not be necessary.

Heck, not 5 hours ago I complained at the local herp store about the way they were handling dart frogs. They disregarded me so I'm going to write the owner and go talk to him if that gets disregarded. The issue wasn't even major but it would keep me from buying one of their frogs and they have some I really like.

The thing is I know the owner of this store really does care about the animals. I also know that the Executives at the chainn pet stores have an obligation to at least pretend to care about the animals and can't ignore a legitimate and well backed complaint. They can ignore anyone that can be disregarded as a crack pot.

As far as Animal Rights Groups hurting the cham keeping hobby. these are many of the people who try to push legislation to ban keeping exotic animals, ban imports for no good reason, and all in all have an ethical backing different from those of us who like to keep animals as pets. This in public only adds fuel to their agenda to stop pet ownership period.

It's emotional, but I cannot let that show or I'll just be ignored and it'll make me look like an idiot. I now see why many of you don't want Animal Rights Groups involved as that could cause a BAN on chameleons overtime. That's the last thing I want. I'll keep PETA out of it, as well as all PETA-ish responses.

I'll keep it calm, professional and direct. I want to stop the purchase of chameleons in my local petsmart until corporate addresses the situation. The "protest" is for local people, the letter will be for corporate. I'll try and get the news involved just so it's spread around locally even more. I know the local petstore can't do anything, so I'll leave them out of it as best I can.

Back
Top Bottom