Size......

Sassy

It is really that normal for a Male panther to be ALOT larger then a female panther? I did invistigate and found out that my female is a Nosy Be female panther chameleon. Last night we were also given a male Ambanja panther chameleon. I know they would be crosses when I breed them eventually, but is the female really supposed to be that much smaller? she seems like only a quater of his size LOL and input and information would be great so that I fully prepare myself for what lies in the distant future.

Thanks!

Ehh..For the most part females are quite a bit smaller..But also, Nosy Bes seem to be smaller then some of the other locales...Combine the 2 ideas, and its not surprising she is so much smaller.

Jake

Ehh..For the most part females are quite a bit smaller..But also, Nosy Bes seem to be smaller then some of the other locales...Combine the 2 ideas, and its not surprising she is so much smaller.

Jake

he he he - ok that makes sense......do you suggest that I only breed her with another Nosy Be then? I'd like to eventually get some of his offspring somehow though :)

Nosy be are generally smaller to begin with. I don't think you should worry about them being crosses. I have a 50/50 and he is absolutely beautiful, with unique colorations. Just make sure you clearly document the cross to all potential buyers of the babies.

Nosy be are generally smaller to begin with. I don't think you should worry about them being crosses. I have a 50/50 and he is absolutely beautiful, with unique colorations. Just make sure you clearly document the cross to all potential buyers of the babies.

I like the crosses too and obvisouly I would be honest to anyone that wanted a baby, but I just worry about her......will he hurt her LOL I've never bred chams before.....

I like the crosses too and obvisouly I would be honest to anyone that wanted a baby, but I just worry about her......will he hurt her LOL I've never bred chams before.....

maybe she likes it rough, just toss her in there. :p

jk, but i have read that it is better to introduce the male into the females cage rather than the other way around SAsSSayyYY!

Some males can be "aggresive" breeders...I he happens to be one, he could do her harm. Youre in San Jose CA??

Thanks,
Jake

Please don't get into trying crosses unless
you first have experience keeping the lines pure first.

it's not as easy as people seem to think.
there's too much stuff running around out there
that is all mixed blood

it's just better to get the experience first before you try to get crazy.

that is all mixed blood

I agree...keep lines pure!

nothing against any crosses anyone might own..:D they are all beautiful..

that is all mixed blood

Thanks I appreciate the info :) I have a friend with a male nosy be so I will put her with him and keep my eye out for an Ambanja female for him as well :) Seems like the more logical and safe thing to do first :) Thanks again for all the help!

I'm biased towards pure lines. If breeding crosses is a function of you only having a male and female of different locales, then I think your motivation is for the wrong reason.

Crossed locales can produce some interesting colourations, but what happens when someone buys it as a pet , then later wants to breed it ??? And where or who do you sell the females to????

Just , please , represent them honestly and document your project...

I'm biased towards pure lines. If breeding crosses is a function of you only having a male and female of different locales, then I think your motivation is for the wrong reason.

Crossed locales can produce some interesting colourations, but what happens when someone buys it as a pet , then later wants to breed it ??? And where or who do you sell the females to????

Just , please , represent them honestly and document your project...

Ok, I'm not going to take offense to this - but I did say on this thread already that I would NEVER tell anyone that they were pure and I would tell them exactly what I know about the parents......I guess quite a few of you think that needs to be told to me over and over LOL I get the point, I got it the first time LOL Anyway - I am not breeding them "Just Because I Have 2" - I jsut posted that I have friends with allllll kinds of different chams, so I will breed my Nosy Be with another Nosy Be......Keeping It Pure :D

I forgot that crosses may be harder to sell, so your decision to stay with pure is probably the best idea. The only thing that I think is flawed with the thinking that crosses are complicated and no one should do it is this: a well-documented well considered cross with good bloodlines is bound to do better than a pure line inbred. A dogma of documentation of all bloodlines for all chameleons would be more productive than a dogma of pure breeding only.

I forgot that crosses may be harder to sell, so your decision to stay with pure is probably the best idea. The only thing that I think is flawed with the thinking that crosses are complicated and no one should do it is this: a well-documented well considered cross with good bloodlines is bound to do better than a pure line inbred. A dogma of documentation of all bloodlines for all chameleons would be more productive than a dogma of pure breeding only.

Well I see it both ways...but I can see how size is an issue as well, after I get more chameleon experience under my belt I can study more on the crosses and make a well informed decision :) For now I will stick to the pure line :)

well if you have any luck in breeding please keep me in mind. I am your potential buyer! I live in SF..... Interested in getting some Panthers down the road...

Being involved in rescue and taking part in helping out unwanted, abused & neglected animals is a nobel thing. It takes special and caring people to do so.

Anyone who breeds should take into consideration the marketability of the animals they breed. It's going to come down to what you can morally live with as a breeder. Knowing that not all the animals that one breeds will all end up in good homes.

That being said, one can increase finding good homes vs. their animals from becoming 'disposable' creatures by doing just a few things.

1. Know your market!

2. Breed pure. By doing so, it is easier to predict the salability.

3. Obtain your animals from well known breeders. They will have a knowledge of the lineage of their offsprings. Best part is that it's an already established market.

4. Don't give or sell at basement bargain prices to the public or pet stores. In general (but not in all cases) those animals will end up as 'disposables'. It is cheaper to buy another one then it is to take one to the vet or to treat it.

5. Above all... have a PASSION for them!!!

I have yet to breed one and at that several chameleons (I have bred other animals though). I think it would be irresponsible to just breed to gain experience without giving some forethought to what happens to the offsprings.

Is it just me or am I just being too critical? The problem I find is 'Rescue' breeding rescues! I would think that being part of that you would know better than to cross breed or to even breed a questionable local and put an end to the cycle of why most end up in rescue. Us being keepers, knows the special care and attention it takes to keeping chameleons. Simply put, keeping chameleons is not for everyone and even more so for breeding them (IMHO).

Being involved in rescue and taking part in helping out unwanted, abused & neglected animals is a nobel thing. It takes special and caring people to do so.

Anyone who breeds should take into consideration the marketability of the animals they breed. It's going to come down to what you can morally live with as a breeder. Knowing that not all the animals that one breeds will all end up in good homes.

That being said, one can increase finding good homes vs. their animals from becoming 'disposable' creatures by doing just a few things.

1. Know your market!

2. Breed pure. By doing so, it is easier to predict the salability.

3. Obtain your animals from well known breeders. They will have a knowledge of the lineage of their offsprings. Best part is that it's an already established market.

4. Don't give or sell at basement bargain prices to the public or pet stores. In general (but not in all cases) those animals will end up as 'disposables'. It is cheaper to buy another one then it is to take one to the vet or to treat it.

5. Above all... have a PASSION for them!!!

I have yet to breed one and at that several chameleons (I have bred other animals though). I think it would be irresponsible to just breed to gain experience without giving some forethought to what happens to the offsprings.

Is it just me or am I just being too critical? The problem I find is 'Rescue' breeding rescues! I would think that being part of that you would know better than to cross breed or to even breed a questionable local and put an end to the cycle of why most end up in rescue. Us being keepers, knows the special care and attention it takes to keeping chameleons. Simply put, keeping chameleons is not for everyone and even more so for breeding them (IMHO).

Yeah - I have been involved with BAARS for along time now, we are a reptile society full of reptile lovers and many breeders. We take in reptiles that need special care as well as enjoy our own hobbies. I have several reptiles that I would never breed just because of the condition that they have been in the past.....and then I have my breeders. If I did not know the line and genitics of each of my projects I would not breed unless I for sure had great home for the offspring.

The most important thing for me is to educate, I can't educate that well with chams yet, cause I'm still learning, but I do love to spread my knowledge on all the other critters that I have in my house :) Finding good forever homes for my babies makes me happy, as well as the guarantee that if they ever need to be "Re-Homed" they come back to me first.......it's worked great in the past, as I am SUPER picky :)

Back
Top Bottom