Enclosure size

Just curious been talking to alot of breeders and people in sc and florida with established chameleon businesses. And they keep male adult panthers in the 18x18x36 . The males i keep ive always been told to keep in 2x2x4 . Would it be wrong or is it wrong to keep em in something that small ? Just curious

Breeders need to take some liberties with husbandry because they have so many animals. While a 2x2x4’ is the minimum size for an adult male, why stop there? Give your chameleon a double wide if you have the resources to. They will use all of the space and it’s nice to give it to them and watch them enjoy it. https://chameleonacademy.com/double-wide-chameleon-cage-project/

Breeders need to take some liberties with husbandry because they have so many animals. While a 2x2x4’ is the minimum size for an adult male, why stop there? Give your chameleon a double wide if you have the resources to. They will use all of the space and it’s nice to give it to them and watch them enjoy it. https://chameleonacademy.com/double-wide-chameleon-cage-project/
Yea totally get that , like i said i keep all mine in 2x2x 4 . I just want somebody reputable and knows alot to tell me wether “yes thats ok “ or “ no absolutely do not keep them in enclosures that sized “.

Just curious been talking to alot of breeders and people in sc and florida with established chameleon businesses. And they keep male adult panthers in the 18x18x36 . The males i keep ive always been told to keep in 2x2x4 . Would it be wrong or is it wrong to keep em in something that small ? Just curious
Just chiming in my own opinion and experience:

I built my own 36"x24"x48" enclosure. My male panther is almost 11 months old now, and ever since he was around 6-7 months old, I've been telling myself "I wish I could have built a bigger enclosure".

I'm not saying you NEED a bigger enclosure than 2x2x4', but that I see him in there, his size vs the space to move around and I just personally wish he had even more space to traverse/explore. Obviously the 2x2x4 seems to be enough for everyone's male. I'm not knocking anyone using those enclosure of course! This is just how I feel. Spike is doing excellent in his enclosure. My point here is, there's no way I'd keep him in an 18"x18"x36". Again, maybe that's just me, but I wouldn't do it. Imagine your chameleon having trouble simply turning around in that thing? No way. That's what I envision happening in my head. I love the fact that Spike likes to explore so much of his enclosure and can do so easily.

Back
Top Bottom