New Brookesia owner. Please help with ID and any tips and tricks for acclimation

yoteango

Established Member
A few months ago I posted a list of plants that can be found in Madagascar. Mostly ignored that list and and turned it into a generic terrarium with the hope that I'd be able to put some Brookesia in it eventually. It's been growing for a while now. A front opening 40 gallon.

On Saturday I got a notification that LLLReptile had a pair of Brookesia in stock. Despite their reputation, I jumped at the chance and a few minutes later had ordered it (before any of you fine folk could), and today the precious little things arrived, smaller than I realized. I'm hoping they are in mostly good health, but I'm not sure yet if they are. One is active and eating fruit flies and seems fine, the larger one seemed dead at first but climbed into a corner and hasn't been opening its eyes too much. I'm hoping it's still waking up and not too hungry or stressed from the journey, but it hasn't been active otherwise in the last couple hours. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

They were ordered as B. superciliaris, but were labeled as B. stumpffi. All I'm really hoping is that they're the same species and one is male and the other female. I did not weigh them, but one is much smaller than the other.
Could you please help me with identifying species, sex, and maybe even age? Other tips and tricks would be good, I've been having to relearn some stuff.

In exchange please accept these pictures.

Thank you

Attachments

• 1709676418570.png
    1709676418570.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 1709676467306.png
    1709676467306.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 1709678079073.png
    1709678079073.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • 476A6131.JPG
    476A6131.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 476A6234.JPG
    476A6234.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 476A6256.JPG
    476A6256.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 476A6174.JPG
    476A6174.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 476A6195.JPG
    476A6195.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 476A6213.JPG
    476A6213.JPG
    354.9 KB · Views: 19
It looks like a 1.1 group of Brookesia stumpffi to me. The larger one is male, and the smaller one is female. You can tell which one the male is based on the thickness of the tail base—he's packing hemipenes for sure!

In the Brookesia genus, females tend to get a fair bit larger than males, or at least that's what I have seen in my experience working with superciliaris. The female doesn't look gravid to me. But that's not to say she won't get gravid soon under the right conditions. @javadi would be able to speak more on breeding size and whatnot. Regardless, she has some growing to do.

The cage looks great! But I would definitely add some more branches for them to climb on.

Thank you. @Mendez
Looks like I guessed correctly on their gender. She seems much smaller and younger than the other, so I guess I missed out on any wild babies from her.
I'll have to find some good branches. I had a cute little pitcher plant that was growing nicely, but took it out for obvious reasons.
I listened to the recent Brookesia podcast and realized I might have messed up putting too much food in there. Now I can't tell if the big one has eaten or not. I saw him stick his tongue out in the pre-attack, but shoot but he also seems very shy, so hopefully that's all it is. They both seem a bit more active already. I was a little worried and they had their eyes closed sometimes the first day or so. But I can't tell if that's because they're tired, scared of a giant me watching them too closely, or a bigger issue. I'm sure they've got a lot of stress from their recent travel adventures.

But so far it seems very similar to a hatchling panther.

A quick update: I weighed them both a few days apart and their weight increased slightly. Didn't weigh them on arrival, but still seems like promising news and I have seen them both eat.

So I've had them for almost a couple months now. They seem to be doing good. The female is growing fast, but I was most worried about the male.
Food for them I've thrown in there include mealworms, waxworms, waxworm moths, black soldier fly larva, a black soldier fly, and some small mystery beetles that are now in my dubia bin.

Here are their weights. It's the best evidence I have that they are doing fine. I didn't get their shipped weights unfortunately.
1713815744309.png

And some pictures. I like her little orange patch on her neck. The female had some interesting colors up today.

Attachments

• 476A6349.JPG
    476A6349.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 476A6412.JPG
    476A6412.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 2
  • 476A6765.JPG
    476A6765.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 476A6791.JPG
    476A6791.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 1713816590636.png
    1713816590636.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 476A6781.JPG
    476A6781.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 476A6447.JPG
    476A6447.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 2
Food for them I've thrown in there include mealworms, waxworms, waxworm moths, black soldier fly larva, a black soldier fly, and some small mystery beetles that are now in my dubia bin.
Are you feeding them crickets? They seem to really enjoy those. I've had some success feeding them little kenyan roaches (adults stay really small). But primarily for the last year and a half, I've primarily been feeding crickets. My oldest pygmy is a male Brookesia superciliaris that is pushing 3+ years. I got him as an adult and I've had him for 2.5 years.

They'll start to pack on weight once you start feeding crickets (~quarter inch crickets for adults). I had a female that would eat wax worms, but the male would refuse them. They both go nuts for free-roaming crickets.

It's cool to see you recording their weights. I haven't seen anyone do that before, but I like it! Keep it up :)

Oh yeah, I noticed my male refused the waxworms also, maybe the BSFL and other worms. I know he's been eating something, but not actually sure what.
I haven't tried crickets yet. I'll try and get some soon. I've just been scared of escapees because of my living situation.

Thanks. I started recording the weights because I was worried at first, and also wanted to try and get an estimate on the female's age. Based on the growth rate and initial size, I figure it's pretty young. She's definitely gotten bigger though.

Wow they are so tiny! When buying a pair you must consider the fact that they are from the same clutch if you intend on breeding them when they are older. In the meantime I wish you the best of luck on getting those two healthy and grown. My last vet said they have definitely seen inbreeding problems (mainly respitory issues) with breaded dragons and with the influx of interest in chameleons they anticipate it will happen with them too. Anyway, my fingers and toes are crossed hoping your sweet little ones survive ok.

Most pygmy chameleons are wild-caught, so likely there isn't an issue with inbreeding at the moment. I'm sure this will change if Madagascar ever closes like Australia did and no fresh blood comes in.

Oh yeah, I noticed my male refused the waxworms also, maybe the BSFL and other worms. I know he's been eating something, but not actually sure what.
I haven't tried crickets yet. I'll try and get some soon. I've just been scared of escapees because of my living situation.

Thanks. I started recording the weights because I was worried at first, and also wanted to try and get an estimate on the female's age. Based on the growth rate and initial size, I figure it's pretty young. She's definitely gotten bigger though.
I haven't had a problem with escapee crickets. If you're super careful, the chances of escapees are reduced. I just get a big bin for them so they can't jump or climb out. Then when I go to collect them and put them in little deli cup with a lid, I do everything over the large bin. Even if a cricket jumps, it is unlikely to jump out of the bin.

If you give crickets a big enough space instead of cramming them in cricket keepers, they aren't too bad to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom